“Shabby Room”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Northampton
Plymouth, MA
“Shabby Room”
Reviewed 1 March 2014

The lobby was nice + breakfast was pretty good but the room was awfully run down and the bathroom door would not stay closed. (Fine if you're alone but not so good if you travel with friends.) Too bad we couldn't sleep in the lobby.

I was told at check-out that they're in the process of renovating + some rooms are done while others are not. It would have been nice to be told about the renovations when reservations were made or even on arrival - Maybe given a choice between a renovated room or a shabby old room with a price break. Considering the poor room quality the rates were very high.

Luckily there's a brand new place being built next door. I'll go there next time. Caveat emptor - be sure to ask for a renovated room if you must stay at the Quality Inn Northampton.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Nicole Z, Front Office Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear Bigbooklisa,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations. We are continuously undergoing renovations, and do have many plans for the near future. If you do decide to stay with us again, i would certainly like the opportunity to assist you personally with your accommodations.
Nicole

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Hudson Falls, New York
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We were looking for a Romantic get away for Valentines day that was walking distance to downtown. This was perfect- it was a 10-15 minute walk to downtown.
The room was recently updated from the looks of it and had everything we needed and then some (refrigerator, microwave, blow dryer). there were a few minor things that were overlooked in the renovation (the bathroom door appeared primed but not painted and the old switchplate did not cover the hole behind it) but we informed the girl at the front desk upon checkout and I feel confident that she was getting maintenance to look at it that day. She was very friendly and professional .there was an appetizing spread for breakfast but we had other plans and did not partake in it.
The Bed was very comfortable and everything was very clean.
it was the right price and perfect for our needs.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
MA181, Front Office Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Dear littleskunk2,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. It is wonderful to hear you enjoyed your experience with us. We hope to see you again in the future!
Nicole Zavecz
Guest Services Manager
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

The Good:
-Beds are reasonably comfy
-Although there is an older section of the place (motel style) and a newer section (hotel style), the rooms in the older section are decently updated and in fine condition.
-Walking distance to town
-Affordable rates ($89/night for a king in the motel section with a AAA discount)
-Free wifi (unlike other reviewers, I had no problems with it, although I only connected via iPhone)
-The rooms in the newer building were quite nice, especially the suites with the full kitchen set up (dishwasher, full stove, big fridge, etc)
-The phone in our room did not work, but was promptly replaced

The Bad:
-Some of the rooms in the motel section were clearly smoking rooms in the past -- they still have a lightly lingering stuffy/funky smell.
-The old building is a motel; this means that people may smoke or be loud outside your room.
-Had some issues with housekeeping: In one instance, we asked for more towels, and got... ONE. (Really?) And although we hung our towels up (international hotel language for "don't replace them," as per their environmental signage), subsequent housekeeping visits reduced our towels back to two. Bizarre.
-Other housekeeping issue: The housekeeper visited our room, but did not make up our bed because we had "belongings" on it (she left a note). Our belongings were our pajamas. I've never had any issue with this in any other hotels, and I've traveled a lot. I would have liked our bed made.

The really bad:
We didn't have consistent hot water. (We had people in two other rooms during our stay, and we all had the same experiences.)
-The first morning, our shower was lukewarm -- tolerable, but not pleasant. I reported it and the staff said they would look into it.
-The second morning, it was just cold. Cold. Cold. Cold. I reported it and the front desk staff said they were sorry for the inconvenience but, "there seem to be a lot of people showering and checking out all at the same time," and to please try showering again later. To which I say sarcastically, "Oh really, a bunch of people getting up in the morning and showering? How UNUSUAL for a HOTEL!" Yes, there was a sports team or something around, but your hotel should have enough capacity for hot water for the whole hotel. It was a cold winter weekend. Even when we tried showering in the afternoon, the water still wasn't hot.
-By the third morning, the hotel was mostly empty and the water was finally acceptably warm (although not yet properly hot).

Bottom line:
This isn't a luxury hotel, so you shouldn't have super high expectations. That said, consistent hot water is a reasonable expectation to have, regardless of price. I won't be staying here again.

To the management: I would've been happy to talk to someone there about our unhappiness, but when we checked out, no one asked how our stay had been, and I just didn't have the fight in me to try and get something taken off of the bill. So I take it to the internet.

The GREAT news is, a Fairfield Inn (by Marriott) is being built next door, so that should be a BIG improvement...

Stayed January 2014
1 Thank stalkingsarah
Dear stalkingsarah,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. I have certainly taken your comments very seriously and passed them on to the departments involved. I would appreciate the chance to speak with you, as well, to gather more information regarding your stay. Please contact me directly when you have a moment.
Nicole Zavecz
Guest Services Manager

Travellers are raving about these Northampton hotels

Brentwood, California
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights. Good bed and room was quiet. Breakfast was nice too. We like the location too and would stay here again. Staff was very friendly, helpful and industrious. They were never just sitting around, always straightening up or doing other things. Eating area very clean.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Diana B
New York, NY
Reviewed 30 November 2013

My child goes to Smith college so recently have been trying all the hotels in the area. I didn't take time to write about any of them as it didn't seem pertinent nor did I want to waste my time.

I have to say this hotel has it's merits...

The price is fair compared to others in the area and the hotel itself is very clean.

Check in:
Very simple. Fast, easy and no issues.

Rooms:
Quality Inn has it's reputation and level of service and this hotel is no exception. It is not a full service hotel, and it doesn't have the 5 star quality, but that's not this chain is known for.
The rooms were spacious and beds were comfortable. The bathroom was clean and had enough towels. The refrigerator came in handy as did the coffee machine. Overall nothing to complain about except that the room was a little dark.

We stayed in the new updated building which on the surface does look nicer than the rest. I was very fortunate to have spoken to their manager before hand as they were overbooked and she called personally to see if we could work things out. Just in that standpoint alone the service factor was exceptional. Almost better than some of the 4 or 5 star hotels.

Overall this hotel was perfect for us or anyone that is staying in the area. It is close to Smith college right outside of the main downtown area and right off the exit of the highway.

Convenience, price, quality and service all put together make this one an easy choice for me to make it the place to go when visiting my child. I have tried 4 other hotels and this one is by far the best when taking everything into consideration.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank hleenj
Hinsdale, NH
Reviewed 22 November 2013

After I booked our stay, I decided to read reviews and must admit I was a little nervous what we were going to walk into! I was very happy to find a nice, very large room! Beds were very comfy. Microwave, fridge, and I loved the idea of the extra vanity in the room! Excellent for when there are more than one getting ready for a night out! The gentleman who checked us in was very pleasant and helpful. I will definitely stay here again the next time we're in town for a concert!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Quality Inn Northampton. I was there several months and the staff there was wonderful. The hotel is very nice, the continental breakfast was very tasty. The desk and housekeeping were terrific and very helpful, as was Susan, the Assistant Manager. I will always have great memories of my time there, and I will certainly stay there the next time I'm in Northampton.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Northampton
Fairfield Inn & Suites Springfield Northampton/Amherst
Hampton Inn Hadley-Amherst
Econo Lodge Hadley
Econo Lodge Hadley
#5 of 7 in Hadley

Been to Quality Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!