“Has potential, but currently not clean enough”

Clarion Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Northampton
Rhode Island
“Has potential, but currently not clean enough”
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We stayed one night via price line. WOuld NOT go back unless improvements were made.

PROS: Very good, convenient location if you want to be near Northampton town center.
Good sized swimming pool. Decently comfortable bed. The woman who took my reservation and checked us in was very nice.

CONS: Dirty. I could see pubic hairs in the mattress topper right under our sheets. Seriously grossed me out. Overall the hotel seems kind of run down. The pool area which could be lovely, needs maintenance and was littered with dirty towels, including one floating in the pool when we arrived early in the morning.

Hopefully the hotel will renovate this space soon and work to bring up the cleanliness standards.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
ClarionNorthampton, General Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to complete a response regarding your experience at teh Clarion in Northamtpon. We appreciate all of the feedback that we recieve and will continue to work to make sure every guest has a clean and comfortable stay. I apologize for the issues with cleanliness that you experienced as a guest. Thank you again for your feedback.

At Your Service,

Jeremy Brown

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Los Angeles
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We stayed here for a friend's wedding and I thought it was quite nice for the price. The beds and pillows were particularly comfortable and I found it to be very clean. It is very old and a bit musty. And it has some strange Twin Peaks-like decorations throughout, but the walls were solid and we heard no noise from other rooms or outside. Overall, we were pleased at the quality for what we paid.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Maggie M
ClarionNorthampton, General Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 28 August 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a response regarding your experience at the Clarion. Guest feedback is important to our goal of providing quality service to all of our visitors.

Jeremy Brown, General Manager
Stone Harbor, New Jersey
Reviewed 21 August 2013

My mother and father stayed here for a friends wedding 15 years ago and said it was a nice place for a good deal. Obviously things have changed. My grandmother, mother, sister and I stayed here while we were visiting the basketball hall of fame. The hallways reminded me of a horror movie. The rooms felt somewhat dirty and the pool ladder was being held together by duck tape. We were so uncomfortable that we canceled our remaining days and changed hotels to a high end historical hotel. Though after we transfered hotels we learned to accept the hotel for what it was and wanted to stay. While there may up have been a hobo In the parking lot the hotel obviously was not making money so that could explain the poor quality. The service staff was helpful and now that I think about it the hotel was no that bad. There is also a outdoor pool and tennis court. Visit the clarion so it can make the necessary repairs. Stay here for a overnight or two but bit for a week. The hotel is tired worn out.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for very much for taking the time to write a response via Facebook. We continue to try to work with the property and our team to give guests the best experience that we can. WE continue to make improvements to the Clarion as best we can.

At Your Service,

Jeremy Brown, General Manager

Travellers are raving about these Northampton hotels

east moriches
Reviewed 16 August 2013

I originally reviewed this hotel with a positive rating, however not after my last visit which will be my last!
I visit my son in college in the area and have made this my choice hotel each time I visit. Well this year my son graduated so I jumped on the chance to stay at this hotel. Now I booked one year in advance so I had many choices, I chose Clarion. They made me pay in advance and sign a contract. If I were to cancel I would lose all my money. Also no changes to the reservation would be allowed.
So this was a special time in our lives we wanted our stay here to be one we would be happy with and remember. I requested, booked and received a contract stating the terms mentioned above 3 rooms poolside/ 1st floor together.
Well when I arrived they gave me keys to rooms on the second floor. I went down to the front desk and Aubrey told me the rooms were water damaged. So I accepted it, not happy about it but figured it was an unfortunate situation. Untill later in the day a bus rolls in and I see a girls softball team is occupying the whole first floor. Looking out my balcony down into all these girls partying on the the patio!
There was a reason why I wanted the first floor because they led out to the patio by the pool. This was the setting I wanted for our family (from 3 states) to gather and visit with each other. We could step right outside our rooms there were tables, easy access for my handicap relative, and children. We could sit there watch the children in the pool and have easy access to each others room right from the patio. It would have been a great atmosphere for our celebration weekend. We were suppose to have our party celebration on the patio. Instead it ended up all our guests eating off the dressers in one room!
I went down to the front desk and I asked the new girl at the desk if they fixed the water damaged rooms and she told me there was no damaged rooms.
So here is my complaint I paid and signed a contract one year in advance, these girls fine out they are in the playoffs a week before and they have a right to change the contract, no less LIE TO ME!
I really dont want to go on and on to put it in a nutshell, they didnt really care once confronted after I was led on to their lies. The manager Jeremy Brown hid in the back while poor Aubrey had to deal with the situation. The reduced my rate but refused to refund me 100% as per our contract.
I could go to small claims court and win this however I'm hoping the power of this review seen by MANY will be my revenge!
Sorry Mr. JEREMY BROWN, MGR. you were contacted by corporate to contact me after all this and chose not to, so I hope anyone thinking about your hotel will move on and find a better choice!!!!!!

Instead we all

Room Tip: at another hotel
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank canewbee
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed 14 August 2013

My husband and I were in town for my cousin's wedding. The room we had was extremely clean except something splattered on the wall by the mirror. My husband and did the Anthony Melchiorri test on the pictures and the shower ledges......it passed. The lobby was great and the staff was very friendly and accommodating. Check in was not until 3:00 and they got us in early. However, we did not get the type of room we were told we would have when I reserved the room. There was confusion with my credit card as well that took almost a full week to fix. The staff was very helpful with resolving their mistake. Overall the hotel is nice but our room for the cost should have been updated

Room Tip: You do not want anything on the bottom floor n section C.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed 25 July 2013

I attended a family meeting at this hotel during a Highland Games gathering in Northampton. My room rate, which was supposed to be a special group rate was $151.00. Definitely not worth it based on the quality of the hotel (I double checked this by calling the front desk from my cell and was quoted $144.00, still overpriced). All staff are very friendly and engaging though poorly trained (that is managements fault). Common areas are a bit funky and need to be better maintained. Also had exit door near my room that slammed when used.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Wakefield
Reviewed 22 July 2013

They do not care about guest. Rooms were not ready at check-in time. One room for bride was two hours late. Family was spread out in hotel rather than promised one area. This was a Wedding party. They do not care. The Bridel suite smelled. I bought Flowers for my daughters room so on her wedding night she would not smell the room. Indoor pool was closed we were notified of this one week before the wedding so we could not move 12 rooms at the last minute. Out door pool closed at 8pm even though it was 90 degrees all week. Where do all the kids go except running the halls after 8pm ?? I asked if the outdoor pool could stay open where the indoor pool was closed and it was hot and most of the AC did not work well in the rooms. Answer was no. There is constuction all aound hotel. They worked on Saturday and the noise and dust around the outdoor pool which is located across from the hotel parkinglot. The breakfast at the hotel is poor. There was no help. Overpriced, old, smelly. NO GM and no sales associate availible over busy weekend. Thats when they should work?

Room Tip: There are no good rooms
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Timothy J
Also consider these accommodations in or near Northampton
Quality Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#4 of 7 in Hadley
Hampton Inn Hadley-Amherst

Been to Clarion Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!