“Huge Disappointment” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Northampton
Denver, Colorado
“Huge Disappointment”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

We stayed at 2 rooms in this hotel for one night. My advice to you is to stay elsewhere. The hotel is reasonably priced and my expectations were not for a luxury hotel, but for a clean place to stay my family to stay for once night. The rooms were dirty. We were going to get some ice, but found our ice bucket lid to be full of black mold - it was disgusting. We called the front desk and the response when the bucket was taken away was "eww, yuck!" Really?!

We will most likely be back in the area very soon and will definitely not be staying at this hotel again.

The restaurant is basic with very average food. The waitress was professional and kind.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank COtravelfam04
ClarionNorthampton, General Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to respond to your experience with the hotel. I apologize that the cleanliness in the room was not up to standard. Our housekeeping team works extremely hard to make sure that every room is guest ready, every time. There is no excuse for missing that target, again, my sincere apologies.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Buffalo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

You notice it when you walk around the maze of hallways in this oddly laid out property, a pungent scent of maybe heavy duty cleaning products or an OD on air freshener. Still a fine property though, especially for the price. There are a couple other hotels in the main shopping and dining area of Northampton but they are a little expensive. This is close enough to take a very short drive into town so the location is still good. You could conceivably walk into town but I don't recommend it because of the narrow shoulders of the road leading into the center of town. Don't understand the bad reviews. I was expecting something badly dated with an aura of complete kitsch but in reality it is sort of an older, sprawling complex that was comfortable in every respect. Nice lobby that had a lodge feel, an indoor and outdoor pool, video game room, basketball net and tennis courts, and plenty of parking. Room was what I needed for an overnight stay visiting my daughter at Amherst college. King sized comfortable bed, perfect climate control, LG TV with something like 500 stations including Encore movie channel, a microwave and a refrigerator enclosed in a tastefully decorated cabinet to make you forget you have a fridge next to your bed. Bathtub was kinda icky but it wasn't a dealbreaker. Missed the lounge called the Loft unfortunately but the front desk person and the security guard gave me some good ideas of where to go to in town for a couple glasses of scotch to end the day. Friendly, helpful staff including a maid who literally walked me to my room 160 when I was clearly lost this place was almost going to get a five from me but they have just a couple things to work on to obtain that status.

Would stay here again and am probably going to when I return next month.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank tsar811
ClarionNorthampton, General Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Thank you very much for your feedback. I am extremely pleased that you experienced all of the facets of our property that we are most proud of, the unique layout, the various different offerings and most importantly, our staff. There are conditions that exist that the team cannot control, however we can always control how we treat our guests. Again, we appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back as our guest.
South Dartmouth, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Hotel right off 91 indoor and outdoor pool maintained excellent. Only negative was brakfast price and inside door knob not working properly.Staff was very helpful and friendly. Dog friendly still quiet at night.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
I can't thank you enough for your kind words, I will make sure to share your comments with the team here at the hotel. We will continue to work hard to provide clean, comfortable accommodation for all of our guests. Again, Thank You!!

Boston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

We booked this hotel through hotwire and paid half the price of anything else in the area. We went into it knowing that it was a 2 1/2 star, so our expectations were for just that. The customer service was great - very welcoming, quick check-in and check-out. Nice sitting area in the lobby. Our room was clean, beds were comfortable, and were made up each day we were there. The pool area was great and we found it to be quiet late at night - 10:30 swim for us by ourselves! Perhaps the best part of our stay though was our time spent in the LOFT restaurant and lounge. There was live music both nights - a mix of jazz, oldies, and some more current pop music. Although we were the youngest couple there by at least thirty years, we had a blast dancing with some new friends and belting out the lyrics. The food was good both nights too - steak tips, fish and chips, pulled pork nachos, chicken quesadilla, and buffalo wings. Good selection of bottled beers and beers on tap.

The only con that I can think of was that it does smell like chlorine (maybe a bit musty too?) in the common areas around the pool. I expect this is any hotel with an indoor pool though. And, yes, there are common areas that appear abandoned (only because people are not there - not because they aren't taken care of) which I know someone equated to the Shining, which made us laugh as we walked though. This hotel does not claim to be a four star hotel and I think if people go into their stay expecting a 2 1/2 star they will be pleasantly surprised. We would definitely go back there again and likely will.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Molly6790
ClarionNorthampton, General Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
I will make sure to share your comments with the team here at the Clarion!
Thank You!!!
I am extremely pleased that you enjoyed your two night stay at the Clarion and am even more pleased that you felt compelled to share your experience with other traveler's. We will continue to work hard at the property to ensure that all of our guests have an experience similar to yours, and again. My sincere thanks.

South Hadley, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

I recently attended a paint and sip night hosted by the Clarion in The Loft. The overall appearance of the hotel was clean and intimate. We were greeted at the door by Emilie, banquet manager- who showed us to our seats and assisted us with any questions we had about the experience. It was a great time! We were waited on by friendly, consistent, and helpful staff Claudia and Kim. Afterwards, we ordered the mussels for a quick bite- they were DELICIOUS :). I will definatley be joining them for another paint sip night in the future!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ClarionNorthampton, General Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to respond regarding your experience with the Clarion and the Loft Lounge. Specifically Emilie and the Food and Beverage Team. The team here a the Clarion strives to provide world class experiences for all of our guests, and I am pleased that the team was able to provide this to you as our guest. I will make sure to share you kind words with Emilie and the entire Food and Beverage team, and we look forward to welcoming you back as our guest in the future.

Warrensburg, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

We stay at many Choice Hotels and booked through the choice website. We only stayed at the Clarion for one night but the we were happy with our stay. We have stayed in some really great Choice hotels and some bad choice hotels - The Clarion Hotel was good.

Room Tip: We did not stay near the indoor pool and I was really happy about that. When we went back to our roo...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
ClarionNorthampton, General Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
We cannot thank you enough for taking the time to respond to your experience as our guest. The team here truly enjoys the opportunity to welcome family groups to our property and we are pleased that we could provide a place for everyone to get together and be together. I will make sure to share your feedback with our team, and again, my thanks.

Colebrook, New Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

We booked this hotel through choices hotel since we needed to make sure to have 2 beds...

I'm always so impressed that hotels are giving away their room to Hotwire or Priceline... And are not helping more their choice hotel members...

Well my friend came to join us for a meal and beers in Northampton and booked with Hotwire the same day as us...

We paid $98...with AAA discount, he paid $59 !!!

At least the clerk at front desk was kind enough to offer us a coupon price of $79 since we were Diamond members and some breakfast coupons...

Nice room, good Internet and kind staff...

Should give better price to their members...

• Stayed June 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ClarionNorthampton, General Manager at Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Thank You for Being a Diamond Elite Choice Privilege Member!!
I appreciate you taking the time to respond to your time at the Clarion, and the issues that are extremely important to me, recognizing our Choice Members and On-line travel Agencies. I extremely pleased that the team took the initiative to show you value during your stay as our guest, our Privilege members are very important to us and to our brand. To remain competitive, we often have to make decisions regarding our rate partnerships that can impact our consumers in ways we don't like. Again, I am pleased that the team made the correct, empowered choice to make things right for you. We very much look forward to having you back as our guest.

Jeremy Brown
Also consider these accommodations in or near Northampton
Quality Inn & Suites
#2 of 5 in Holyoke
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#4 of 7 in Hadley

Been to Clarion Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!