“A wonderful stay and we are looking foward to our return”

The Centennial House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 Northfield B&B and Inns
Rhode Island
“A wonderful stay and we are looking foward to our return”
Reviewed 14 June 2011

We arrived tired and hungry to a warm welcome from Joan and Steve and Hamish, their Corgi. Steve carried our luggage up to our room; Joan made reservations for an early dinner at the Gill Tavern for us. It is a wonderful historic house in a beautiful area, central to Old Deerfield, Greenfield, Shelburne Falls and the rest of the Pioneer Valley. We will definitely return here on our next trip to the area.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 9 June 2011

Our family gathered from all over the United States in Northfield for the wedding of our son and his bride early this month. The Centennial House provided a "safe haven" of serenity and joy for a big part of the family, capped by a 50+ attendee "goodbye brunch" on the Sunday after the wedding.
Joan and Steve provided us with a superb venue for the brunch, spilling from the sun porch out onto the back lawn and gazebo, with a delicious hot and cold buffet for our final gathering before everyone headed home.
The rooms were clean and comfortable, and have unique features to make it fun for various combinations of relatives -- parents, children, grandparents, aunts and uncles, brothers and sisters -- making it ideal for our family to reunite around the wedding.
We recommend Centennial House enthusiastically!

Room Tip: All types -- see their website for details
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Ingleside, Illinois
Reviewed 3 June 2011

This is one of the oldest houses in Massachusetts, I think and they have done a great job converting it for B&B. Our two-room suite was very private and had a jetted tub to relax in after a long day of fall colors and shopping.
The breakfast was very good and different each morning
The owneres provided great recommendations for a rainy day, sunny day, etc and provided coupons for some of the sites.
Very easy drive to Brattleboro, Vt where the artisan shops exceeded our expectations.
Just wish the attractions in the area stayed open through the end of October. We were there for peak fall colors, but couldn't do a river boat or train trip because they had closed the weekend before for the year

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
Adams, Massachusetts
Reviewed 14 March 2011

My boyfriend and I booked a room for our 3 year anniversary, and it was nothing short of perfect. Joan & Steve, the owners, made us feel welcome immediately. We stayed in the Northfield room, and the bed was heavenly. Most comfortable thing I have ever slept on! Everything felt clean and fresh. As we were the only two guests that night, I cannot vouch for how things run when it is the busy season, but we loved every minute of our stay. There were homemade chocolate chip cookies for us upon arrival and an even more amazing breakfast in the morning that included fresh fruit, apple tart, home-cooked omelets and bacon! Dinner at the Gill Tavern (only about 10 minutes away) was a perfect way to spend the evening as well. We would go back in a second!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Hong Kong
Reviewed 17 February 2011

I highly recommend The Centennial House.

My husband and I visit my daughter, a student attending Northfield-Mt. Hermon School, at least twice each year. I love staying at the Centennial Inn, where I am always greeted warmly by the innkeepers, Joan and Steve, and feel like I am coming to a home instead of a cold hotel. I travel from far away and they always accommodate my late arrivals with a smile. The rooms are lovely, cozy and charming. But seriously? I come for the breakfast: Yummy scones, fresh apple tarts, oatmeal, omelets, and more. There is a different menu each day and each meal is great.

The website computer booking system is fantastic, much more convenient that other small B & B’s. It works instantly to let you know if you have successfully booked a room and is easy to use.

The innkeepers have suggestions for activities and dinners in the surrounding area and I always enjoy trying new restaurants that are not part of a nationwide chain. One of my favorites is The Gill Tavern, located very close by. I also explore the neighboring towns for antiques and unique crafts when I have come a few days early before parent weekends.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Worcester, Massachusetts
Reviewed 10 February 2011

We had a wonderful weekend at the Centennial House in Northfield, MA. We went with our young children to ski at the nearby xc area, and we stayed at this B&B. We were just "wowed" by the gorgeous details of the house, the host's warm hospitality, and the delicious food. There were plenty of good restaurant choices in the area for lunch and dinner. The kids tell everyone that they meet about it, and we can't wait to return!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
Amherst, Massachusetts
Reviewed 11 January 2011

The Centennial House is an A+! In October two of my friends had their wedding reception at the B&B. It was a beaitful setting with a grand tent on the back lawn surrounded by garden accents with a sweet touch of class and romance. We celebrated with amazing food, festive music and fun filled dancing. Joan and Steve offer some of the best hospitality around and are masters at the art of service. If you want to be taken care of and know that the details are covered, this is the place to go! A hidden gem indeed!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Northfield
Hampton Inn & Suites Greenfield
Holiday Inn Express Amherst-Hadley
Hotel UMass
Hotel UMass
#1 of 3 in Amherst

Been to The Centennial House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!