“Great place to stay, terrific hosts”

The Centennial House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 Northfield B&B and Inns
Springfield, Massachusetts
“Great place to stay, terrific hosts”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I recently stayed at the Centennial House and had an amazing time. The only other time I had stayed in a B&B was back in February 2004, in Belchertown, MA, and I was pleasantly surprised to find out I was staying with the same innkeepers. The location and property was beautiful, the room we stayed in was very nice (especially clean), and we had a wonderful time in the area. I even snuck down to the small garden and took a big handful of blueberries (Shhhh). I felt like i was staying with family, and would definitely go back again. Thank you Joan and Steve!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Joan and Steve S, Owner at The Centennial House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
Dear Gary, What a small world, eh? We're so glad we got to see you again after all these years! Thanks for taking the time out of your day to comment on your stay. The garden is a new feature this year and we're delighted when guests wander down to see it. We've put plenty of those blueberries in the freezer for your next visit! All the best, J and S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Southington, Connecticut
Reviewed 24 July 2013

My wife and I spent a delightful 2-days at Centennial House B&B. The innkeepers, Joan & Steve, are wonderful, warm and very accommodating hosts. The rooms are beautifully appointed, super clean and spacious. The breakfasts were awesome and creatively crafted. Joan is an expert on local attractions and restaurants; her recommendations were right on! Nothing could have been better--we can't wait to go back. Absolutely one of the best B&B we've tried to date.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Bob6467
Merrick, New York
Reviewed 20 July 2013

I booked this Bed and Breakfast via Living Social for four nights as a birthday getaway in June 2013 for my partner and I. We had never been to a B & B before, so we were both very excited to spend a few relaxing days in a cozy New England Inn. We arrived Sunday afternoon, were greeted by the Innkeepers (Joan and Steve) and were given a tour of the house. The property itself is beautiful and very well kept. The grounds are lovely and the backyard is vast with a cozy gazebo for sitting. Also, the rooms are clean and decorated nicely. All was good.

On Monday morning, we went downstairs for our included breakfast, enjoyed a nice meal, and then went back upstairs to the two room suite to relax a bit before heading out for the day.
Shortly after, Joan announced "House-keeping" and let herself into the room. Because I was not dressed, I simply went into the adjacent room, left the door open and waited until the "tidying up" was done. Let me be clear, it was quite obvious that we were both still in the room as our phones, keys, and wallets were on the dresser. Upon her entry into the bathroom, Joan gasped, "Oh my gosh!" Mind you, the only thing untidy about the bathroom was dirty clothes in a pile by the sink. For whatever reason, Joan called her husband Steve into the room as well. Joan then proceeded to the bedroom, and then loudly exclaimed, "What are they doing in here?!" The bed was unmade because I was napping. There was no trash on the floor and NOTHING was out of place. Joan and Steve then made rude comments about a courtesy robe which we had used, claiming that we had taken it wrongfully. The robe's hanger said it was for guests and to please return it to the bathroom after use for laundering. To make matters worse, Steven commented "I hope they don't take our electronics," to which Joan retorted, "I wouldn't put it past them." The both of them then continued to make comments about our backgrounds, where we were from, and what we did for a living. Steven also looked through our things, opened our camera case and commented, "That's a nice camera."

I have never written a negative review in my life, until now. I simply have to express how these people made me feel because I have NEVER felt so demeaned and judged in my entire life. Joan and Steve basically insinuated that we were dirty and thieves and that is NOT OK. My birthday getaway was ruined because of these careless, insensitive people. When we spoke to them, the Innkeepers wrote off their comments as "chit-chat" and offered to take us out to dinner. We declined as we did not wish to spend any more time with these people. Our morale was shot, and as such, my partner and I decided to end our trip 2 nights earlier because we could not stay in such an uncomfortable and unprofessional environment. This was by far the worst travel experience I have ever had to endure.

BOTTOM LINE, SAVE YOURSELF THE HEARTACHE AND TAKE YOUR BUSINESS ELSEWHERE.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank MichellePermaul
Joan and Steve S, Owner at The Centennial House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
First, we'd like to thank the guests--recent and repeat--who saw the above comments and called, emailed or sent us flowers in response. The experience of working with the discount sites has been overwhelmingly positive and has introduced a whole new generation to B&B's. We would never intentionally make a guest uncomfortable. In the three instances in 16 years where we have had a dispute, the issue is always the same--how the guests have treated the facility-- in two instances (but not this one) under the influence of alcohol. The room in question is our most expensive suite, which is enjoyed successfully by about 300 guests from all over the world each year. It would take too long to deconstruct this incident and would play into the sensational "reality tv" aspect encouraged by review sites. Bad headlines sell papers. In this case, we apologized for revealing that we were upset at the condition of the room, offered a $50 gift certificate to dinner and tried to make the person feel better. Nothing worked because nothing was going to work. As a guest who saw it last week put it, it wasn't a critique but was "vengeful," and aimed at harming a 'mom and pop' business--the kind of thing allowed by review sites in the name of free speech. But, in reference to the above, readers should be assured that neither we nor our staff even look at your property, let alone touch it. Guests who know us know that we don't have any "electronics" to fret over. And, we have a "Certificate of Excellence" for 2013 from Trip Advisor. As always, we invite any prospective guests who have a question or concern to contact us. Safe travels, Joan and Steve Stoia
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Stayed there over the weekend. Delightful rooms, gracious hosts, and fantastic breakfast. It has old world charm, but all the essential modern comforts (air conditioning , television). Don't miss beautiful garden in the back! Perfect for a wedding.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Sommers22
HameytheWonderDog, Owner at The Centennial House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 18 July 2013
Thanks so much. We love it when local families entrust their loved ones to us because their couches are overflowing! It's a wonderful compliment when they come back on their own. Best wishes and we hope to see you back in Northfield soon, Joan and Steve
Cohoes, New York
Reviewed 4 July 2013

My husband and I were gifted a 2-night getaway to the Centennial House, and we couldn't be more pleased with our experience! Joan and Steve are wonderful hosts, very sweet and very knowledgeable about the area. I have to eat gluten-free, and Joan made AMAZING breakfasts for us and steered us to great restaurants in the area with GF options. The room was super-comfortable and the house is just beautiful. Absolutely perfect for our getaway! Highly recommend!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Aimee D
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 9 June 2013 via mobile

Enjoyed my very first bed and breakfast stay. Joan and Steve were wonderfully hosts. The house took me back in time. I was in Northfield for my 30th reunion and was close to the school and activities. I will come here again when I'm in town.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Beth C
HameytheWonderDog, Owner at The Centennial House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 10 June 2013
Thanks, Beth! We had a wonderful reunion weekend with you and other NMH alumni from all over the U.S. You'll have to come back for the homemade sorbet we served yesterday--see our Facebook page. Keep trying those B&B's! Joan and Steve
London
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We arrived early but were welcomed in by Steve and the dogs and checked in within minutes.
It was Memorial Day so quiet everywhere but Joan was able to recommend a great Diner in nearby Bernardstone and made sure we had insect repellent for hiking by the nearby (and very beautiful) Connecticut River
There is a beautiful back garden to watch the sun go down
We had a great room at the front of the house and woke up to a wonderful breakfast
Highly recommended

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
HameytheWonderDog, Owner at The Centennial House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
Dear R and C, We're so happy that you enjoyed your visit with us. As we mentioned, we really look forward to hosting overseas guests as they provide us with new perspectives on our town and our property. They are also great fun! We know the rest of your US holiday will end on a high note. Best wishes, Joan and Steve
Also consider these accommodations in or near Northfield
Hampton Inn & Suites Greenfield
Riverside Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
Riverside Hotel, an Ascend Hotel...
#2 of 2 in West Chesterfield
#1 of 1 in Bernardston
Brandt House
Brandt House
#2 of 5 in Greenfield

Been to The Centennial House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!