“Perfect for Weddings!”

The Centennial House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 Northfield B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 October 2010

I recently stayed at the Centennial House for my best friends wedding which was being held about 10 minutes away. I was a bridesmaid and we all got ready for the wedding in the Deerfield Suite, which was amazing. It was perfect for us because we were not interested in being or feeling too stressed the day of the wedding. The Centennial House was a very relaxing and calming environment.

I also stayed there the night of the wedding. I was one of the only people to stay there and I was so happy that I did. The breakfast the next day was absolutely delicious, I could tell everything was from a local farm. Joanne was very sweet and my boyfriend and I chatted with her for about a half hour before we left. She was very accomodating with breakfast and the bride actually lost her phone while we were getting ready and Joanne along with another woman looked for the phone and an earring that we lost for a while. The whole experience was a pleasure. I will definitely be staying there again.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 31 August 2010

This place was awesome. My fiance and I just wanted to get away to western Mass for a couple days of much needed rest. I found this place randomly through a google search and to be honest the reason I booked it was because it was the least expensive room I could find. Because of that I was not really expecting much but they blew me away. The service was great, the bed was very comfortable, both the room and bathroom were immaculate and it was probably one of the best breakfasts I have ever had. That is saying a lot about the breakfast because I own a cafe and breakfast is my specialty and I am not ashamed to say that they beat me hands-down in the breakfast department. The location was also great because it was secluded yet close to the Connecticut River, NH, and VT. I cant say enough good thing about this place!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 July 2010

We were in town with numerous family members for a wedding and could not have been more pleased with everything at this inn. Our hosts, Steve and Joan, went out of their way to make sure we had a comfortable and pleasant stay. The sleeping rooms were immaculate and charming, just what we were looking for. The public rooms were as lovely as the bedrooms, interesting and perfect for gathering with our family.

The breakfast was plentiful and delicious. After what we thought was more than perfect, (melons, juices, fragrant scones or blueberry coffee cake, cereals and fruits) out Joan or Steve would come with almond french toast, or a yummy quiche! We could not have eaten another bite. Dietary restrictions were also no problem, and graciously accommodated with just a mention (better to know this in advance!)

We hope we will have the occasion to return to this picturesque inn, and if you want an additional treat, just down the street is the best ice cream shop ever!

Thanks again!
Shirley and Paul

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 June 2010

I'd rather not give a star rating (or a "would you recommend"), because it depends so much on your purpose in staying here, but they're required. I agree with *both* Ethnicmutt's negative review (disclosure: she's a friend and we came for the same wedding) and the rave reviews that appear to have been submitted by everyone else.

If what you come here for is the classic quiet rural New England B&B experience - relax in a cozy, charming old building, get up early in the morning to do leaf-peeping before the crowds get there, that sort of thing - you will love this place, and I recommend it to you highly. It's an old but very well maintained building, with charming old rooms, run by a couple with just the right level of friendliness: they will spend a long time talking to you if you like to chat and back off if you don't. Their breakfast is very tasty, there's a pretty gazebo in the back, and you will get to hang out with an adorable old corgi named Hamish. (Shared bathroom down the hall but it's a B&B, you expect that.) If that's all they billed the place as, I would have no complaints.

The problems come because they sell the place as a bit more than that: their brochures say B&B "and conference centre," and talk about how great the place is for weddings. I suppose maybe it could be good for an afternoon wedding in a group of early risers, but - this is NOT the place for an evening reception. Don't hold a conference here if you expect people to cut loose in the evening at all, either. Town ordinances require music to be shut down at 10:00, and nobody in the party was informed about this until about 9:45, when the dancing hadn't even gotten started. So, almost no dancing at our wedding party (after the groom had spent most of the afternoon building a dance floor!) Instead, we chill out in the pretty gazebo for a while, talking at a moderate volume - and after a couple hours are literally ordered inside by the owner ("this is over now," he says). We really lost the party atmosphere we hoped to have - not an excessive frat party, just a fun gathering to celebrate our friends.

The quieter you want it, the better you will like it here. If you want to have any sort of evening party, this is not the place for you!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank BostonHoser
Reviewed 29 June 2010

This place might be nice if it's just yourself or a couple, and you're not planning to make noise, but we were there for a friend's wedding - the reception of which took place in the back yard - and the owner's weirdly patronising pseudo-avuncular attitude just kept adding sour notes to the weekend.

Rooms are pretty, if a bit twee, and the breakfast was tasty, but there wasn't enough of it really to go around... Plenty of not-quite-ripe cantaloupe, but only a strip and a half of bacon per person. Scones enough for everyone to have three, but with the egg dish, we only got a spoonful or so each... That sort of thing. Breakfasts -- especially post-wedding breakfasts! -- should be plentiful, especially for what we paid (in my case, $190 for two nights in a single, bathroom across the hall).

The real kicker was that, after the reception -- which had to end by 10 pm (!!!), by the way, due to town noise ordnances, but that's not the B&B's fault -- a group of us retired to the gazebo to talk and have a few celebratory cigars. I would like to emphasize that we were all adults speaking and laughing in low voices, shushing anyone who got rambunctious, not drunk, and not being obnoxious; noise level of a placid garden party. At midnight, as though we were a group of teenagers, the owner comes out and tells us that his business depends on the goodwill of his neighbours, and that we are to put out our smokes NOW and come inside at once so that he could lock up. Incredulous -- we're all in our thirties -- we did, and as we were, I tried to lighten the atmosphere with an "I can't believe we're getting curfewed...!" comment. On our return indoors he snapped at me, "It's not a curfew! You have a key, you can go out and drive to a club and come back whenever!"
We're all exhausted from the wedding, and though not drunk we have been drinking, and this place is in the middle of nowhere, and he is encouraging us to get in our cars and go?

The chambermaid managed to lock me out of my room while I was at breakfast in my pyjamas (we'd rented out the whole place so room security was on no-one's mind), and when I found her and got her to let me back in, the bed hadn't even been made, nor did the room look touched or made up at all. Just locked.

They had wireless (with a ridiculous 30+ character encryption key) but only for two computers at a time. o_o

A sour taste in our mouths.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
4  Thank ethnicmutt
Reviewed 23 February 2010

My husband and I were looking for a relaxing weekend getaway. Centennial House really fit the bill....the room was spacious, very clean and had a wonderful fireplace! The owners, Joan and Steve, were pleasant, welcoming and accomodating in every respect. The entire house had a warm, welcoming feel to it. There were some wonderful shops in the area as well. I have to mention Joan's unbelievable breakfasts, mango sconces, apple tarts, fruit and pecan waffles....yum. We can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sdbert6
Reviewed 28 October 2009

Wonderful warm welcome by Joan and Steve and their Corgi, Hamish - afternoon tea and homemade chocolate chip cookies were perfect for a cold, rainy afternoon. (Wish the fireplace were going in the Tavern room!) The Deerfield Suite was perfect for our birthday weekend with my 85 yr. old mother. Breakfast was excellent - only complaint was the cold - esp. the dining room at breakfast. The beds were extremely comfortable and my husband appreciated the tv in the room! We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would highly recommend this B&B to everyone.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Northfield
Hampton Inn & Suites Greenfield
Deerfield Inn
Deerfield Inn
#1 of 1 in Deerfield
Hampton Inn Brattleboro
Hampton Inn Brattleboro
#1 of 10 in Brattleboro
Riverside Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
Riverside Hotel, an Ascend Hotel...
#2 of 2 in West Chesterfield
The Inn at Crumpin-Fox
The Inn at Crumpin-Fox
#1 of 1 in Bernardston
Brandt House
Brandt House
#2 of 5 in Greenfield

Been to The Centennial House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!