“Good launching point - not a great B&B experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Admiral Benbow Inn

Admiral Benbow Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Oak Bluffs
Admiral Benbow Inn
Ranked #13 of 15 Oak Bluffs B&B and Inns
Burnsville, Minnesota
“Good launching point - not a great B&B experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2013

Our rooms were clean and comfortable and the price was right. The hotel was a little out of the way - a good walk back to town or beach area. We barely saw the innkeepers except at check-in and check-out. If that's what you want this place is great. We like to stay at B&Bs where the innkeepers are friendly and become part of the experience - not the case here. Breakfast was also mediocre by B&B standards - we are used to much better. And again - it was really a serve yourself experience. We would probably not stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

My fiance and I stayed here memorial day weekend and everything was great! It was about a 10 minute walk to the main center of Oak Bluffs. It was also about a 10-15 minute bike ride to Vineyard Haven. The room was very clean and spacious. There is no tv but we did not need one. The owners were really nice and let us check in early. This inn is perfect for a weekend getaway!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Blue Bell
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2011

This place was great. The décor throughout was very attractive and our room on the first floor was very spacious. I was a little hesitant when I read a few reviews as we were looking at different places. Some people just love to complain. This is someone’s business. I found those negative reviews inaccurate. Yes there was a hose there when we visited. It was to there to water their beautiful garden. This is a husband and wife B&B not the Ritz. This couple was very helpful and my wife and I enjoyed everything about the stay. The only thing I would mention that the breakfast was average but typical to many that we had stayed at before. We stay at many B&B”s as we have been to Europe three times in the past ten years and found the Benbow Inn lived up to the positive reviews.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank witley33
Randolph, VT
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2011

My feelings about the inn are very much colored by the fact that I need a firm mattress and ended up having to sleep on the floor for two nights because the inn not only had none but had no cots either.

That said, I found the inn pretty disappointing in other respects as well. The first room I had (#2) was small, dark and ugly. The bathroom was falling apart. The second night I took my daughter's room, #5, which had a slightly firmer mattress -- not firm enough, as it turned out -- but the room itself was bright, spacious and well-decorated. So be careful which room you ask for. The breakfast was adequate but not memorable. If you want a cup of coffee or tea after the breakfast period you are own your own. They make no provision, which a lot of places do. I just went into the kitchen and helped myself. The first key they gave me for the front door did not work and they were pretty miffed when I woke them up (around 10:30 pm) because I could not get into the house. (U might add it took a lot of bell ringing and pounding to get them downstairs to open the door. Generally you get the feeling they want to be put out as little as possible. The Inn is a relatively short walk from town and I liked the location for personal reasons. But it is right on the street and noisy. There is no air conditioning and if you have the ill-luck to be there in unseasonably cold weather, as I was, don't expect heat. They also have no space heaters..

Room Tip: Room #5 is lovely
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2011

My husband and I booked last-minute trip the the Vineyard and stayed at Adminral Benbow Inn. The B&B is located a10-minute walk uphill from the Oak Bluffs ferry stop. Although there is a walk/bike path marked on the road, cars pass frequently at fast rates of speed so it doesn't feel like the safest route. Once you get your bearings, use the back roads through the quiet neighborhood to walk to and from town for a traffic-free trip. The B&B is a little tired on the outside, but the interior is immaculate and decorated in a fashion you would expect from a place called Admiral Benbow. Lots of antique furniture with runners, historical style wallpaper and lace curtains. We had room 5, which had a double bed tucked in a nook, a dresser, desk, private bathroom, sisal carpet and ceiling fan (no AC). There was also no TV in the room, which pleased us. There is a lot of traffic along the route in front the inn and patrons of the gas station next door tend to be very noisy -- lots of horns honking, loud talking, engines roaring. We had a rough first night sleep due to the traffic, but were less aware of it the following night. Breakfast was ample and exactly what we typically eat at home: yogurt, fresh fruit salad (cherries, strawberries, grapes, melon, blueberries), bagels, croissants, juice, cereal and the most delicious homemade blueberry muffins. We enjoyed sitting in rockers on the front porch each morning and evening. The location is a 5 minute walk to the boat docks, 10 minutes to the ferry and public beaches, and 10 minutes to the Oak Bluffs shopping and restaurants. We were told buses will stop outside the inn if you flag them down, but we are walkers and preferred to hike into town. Mary is a very enthusiastic and helpful innkeeper. She wants to please and will go out of her way to make you happy.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2011

We stayed at the inn five times and are looking forward to the next five. The Victorian era inn offers a safe and secure home base for all our island adventures. We have stayed in four of the tastefully decorated seven rooms and found each one fresh, clean and comfortable. Our evenings are always pleasant and restful. We can wind down rocking on the porch or simply relax beside the water garden. The mornings are never rushed and an ample continental breakfast is peacefully enjoyed as we share our adventures with the other guests.
Mary and Bill are there when needed yet never imposing and not there when we want to have our own space. They really make us feel at home. Every town, village, shop, beach and restaurant on the island are enjoyed so much more when we start the day with a recharged and laid-back attitude and end it in a welcoming and peaceful room.

• Stayed June 2011
Norfolk VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2011

My husband and I needed some much deserved alone time.Friends recommended a quick and easy trip to the Vineyard. The suggestion was made for us to stay at the Admiral Benbow Inn , our friends couldn't have been more right.We felt the most genuine of hospitality. Mary and Bill couldn't have been nicer. Room 6 was very comfortable, clean and spacious. The breakfast options were generous and delicious. The homemade blueberry muffins were our favorite morning treats.In the afternoon ,my husband and I enjoyed our guilty pleasure books while sitting on the front porch. We bought a lovely bottle of wine for us to enjoy by the beautiful garden and coi pond.A return visit is in future plans. Maybe Memorial Day Weekend once again.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for Room 6 or Room 7.
Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
#2 of 4 in Edgartown
Oak Bluffs Inn
Oak Bluffs Inn
#2 of 15 in Oak Bluffs

Been to Admiral Benbow Inn? Share your experiences!