“Great location,outstanding service”

Ranked #2 of 15 Oak Bluffs B&B and Inns
Saratoga Springs, New York
“Great location,outstanding service”
Reviewed 28 June 2012

It was our first trip to the island and we were pleased with how close the inn is to everything in Oak Bluffs. We could walk to the hotel from the ferry. You can walk to the beach as well. Towels and chairs were provided. The bed was comfortable. The room was fresh and clean . We had plenty of clean towels. John the owner was great about driving us to Edgartown in the Rolls Royce courtesy car. That was a wonderful perk! Being driven to a bike rental shop in a Rolls Royce only happens when you stay at the Dockside! Breakfast included apple fitters from Back Door Donuts. Complimentary ice cream treats were great to enjoy after getting out of the hot tub! The front desk staff coud not have been nicer. Nate and Tiffany went out of their way to answer questions. Our room was in the back and made it easy to get to the hot tub and the ice cream treats. It was also a quiet room. John the owner has done a great job making the guests feel comfortable. We were there for 3 nights, and can't wait to come back for a longer stay.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
Lowell, Massachusetts
Reviewed 27 June 2012

great staff " great hotel" very clean. staff very helpful and friendly. will be back again thank you very much > ken and clery

york pa
Reviewed 26 June 2012

We booked the Dockside for a short 'girls weekend.' The owner, John, was so very helpful despite the fact that I called him a few times to get questions answered. We finally settled on room #35, a delightful room by itself over the garage. There were a few steps to get upstairs but it worked out well. (John was so kind as to even carry my luggage up the steps) The room was average sized but we were only there to sleep so no biggie there. (The price seemed a little higher than I was thinking it would be --especially since it is not a b/b but you can't beat this place for the location). Despite the fact that it is not a b/b there is still a few donut pieces put out around 8am and one has access to popsicles, coffee and granola bars 24/7. )

This place was recently bought by the owners and completely renovated and I have to tell you that the photos do NOT do it justice. Prior to my booking, John was so kind as to even run up to the room and take extra photos for me so I could see it a little better than the ones online already. His willingness to go the extra mile for us is what really helped us decide to book. Upon arrival, Tiffany greeted us and explained everything. The lobby is beautiful, the room was great, the location can't be beat. Right in town and within walking distance to everything. We walked to the bus stop and to the pier for the ferry and it was about 2 blocks away. There is even a 'virtual tourguide' by the name of Loomis.. If you have any questions, you text Loomis and you receive a personal answer within a few minutes.. This was an added bonus since we had MANY questions.

I have to be honest and say that I was disappointed by the fact that I inquired about the rolls royce to see if we could be picked up at the pier. We had rec'd an email a few days before our trip explaining that there is a car available ("complementary") and I should call to set up a pick up time/location. However, we weren't sure of our exact time because we didn't know which ferry we would be getting (due to our travel constraints). I actually called closer to our arrival date and spoke w/ someone by the name of Nate and when I asked about the car was told that they would have to see if a driver was available. I asked if there was a charge and he wanted to know how long we were staying for. At that point I got the feeling that our stay of 2 nights did not 'meet' the requirements for the 'complimentary rolls'.

Upon our arrival on the ferry I also called again and explained that it was extremely hot out and my mom would have problems walking. I mentioned about maybe getting a taxi and was told that there were many at the pier. Again, there was no offer of anyone picking us up in the Rolls. Luckily a very sweet lady from the SSA drove us on a golf cart (to the top of the street so we just walked about a block).

Later in the trip I inquired about doing some sightseeing and we were never offered the rolls like one of the other travelers /reviewers said they were so perhaps they were staying longer?? I'm not sure but I never saw the car move from it's location during our stay so I am not sure what exactly you need to do or how long one must be staying to be privy to that 'perk'. Unfortunately we had to get the ferry from VH on our departure so we had to pay for a taxi ($20 for a 5 min taxi ride- expensive b'/c it was an 'early' taxi).. OUCH

With that being said we took VTA for just about everything or walked short distances. The car issue was a minor thing and it would definitely not stop me from booking again. I can not say enough about the location of this place.. and the fact that you should not rely on the photos for a good idea of what it is really like. It really is a LOT nicer. (John, maybe "Loomis" would like to try his hand at some of the photos for the website.. haha)

Special thanks to Tiffany for all her help planning our VTA routes and for John when booking. You guys were great and we loved this place.

Room Tip: Room 35 has a few steps inside but is very private and can sleep 3. GREAT location to everything the...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank travelinmama1731
Reviewed 25 June 2012

The hotel has been beautifully redone. The location and value were phenomenal! Everything within Oak Bluffs is within walking distance. Make sure you book a room on the harbor side if possible.

• Stayed June 2012
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Snazzy decor, super comfortable beds, lots of towels and an awesome snack selection make this hotel our top pick on the Vineyard. The friendly, helpful staff and proximity to the Ferry make it just about perfect. You can even borrow towels, coolers and umbrellas for the beach!

• Stayed June 2012
Hopkinton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 21 June 2012

My children and I stayed here overnight and look forward to our next visit, since the owner, John, the day manager, Tiffany, and other staff were wonderful and the inn itself was charming and comfortable!! We got to ride in their immaculate, vintage 1956 Rolls Royce on a local tour offered by the owner, who asked if we were doing anything and did we want to see the sites. He was so nice!! Then Tiffany offered us beach towels, sunscreen and beach chairs when she heard us talking about heading to the beach. Wow! The location is right in the middle of things, yet you feel at home and it is quiet when you are in the room, especially with the air conditioner on. Our lovely, spacious and comfortable room had nice large windows with wonderful blinds from which we saw the sunset over the marina. We had modern amenities with classically charming decor. Besides nice toiletries in the clean and newly tiled modern bathroom, there were popsicles, fudgsicles, fruit, energy bars, bottled water and hot beverages available 24/7 in an air conditioned porch next to the garden sitting area complete with wonderful jacuzzi. My children and I cannot wait to go back!! It was bliss!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
, Manager at The Dockside Inn, responded to this review, 22 June 2012
Margie!

You and your children were bliss! We loved having you at the hotel - your enthusiasm and love for the Vineyard really made us so happy and to be able to have that energy in the hotel was just the cherry on top! How fun is the Rolls Royce Courtesy Car? We love it just as much as you did and it's still a treat every time we get to drive a guest around our lovely island :)

We can't wait to have you back - we are all still talking about how fun you and children were - thank you for staying with us - it was truly our pleasure to have you!

Best -

The Dockside Inn Crew
Hershey, PA
Reviewed 20 June 2012

We enjoyed our stay at the Dockside and for the most part the owners and help were nice. The redhead front desk clerk was a little grouchy.... maybe she was having a bad day. The inn has been recently remodeled so it was very clean and nicely decorated. There was one major problem though and that was the blinds. They let in too much light. During the night it was almost bright enough to read a book because of the light coming in from the porch. We stayed on the east side and the sun was up early which really lit up the room. It took two nights before my husband told me that he had an eye mask, so the third night I slept well. It's too bad about the blinds because, I'm sure they were expensive... The only other weakness was the breakfast. They have a nice assortment of granola bars and coffees and at 8 am they put out some chopped up danishes and/or donuts. Having toast and bagels would have been more appealing. Also, it would have been nice if the breakfast room would open before 8 am. Remember, we were up at 5 am with the sun shining through our blinds :).

, Manager at The Dockside Inn, responded to this review, 22 June 2012
Kathleen -

First, thank you for choosing the Dockside Inn - we very much enjoyed having you. As this is our first year of ownership of this property with that comes some trial and error with furniture and fixtures, amenities, and general operation. We very much appreciate and take your feedback very seriously and you have offered us some great info. What blinds show the most light, what customers are looking for in the morning, what time we should open the common area spaces - your input is valuable and will absolutely be considered for possible alternations and changes to the hotel in the future.

You know what they say, "You don't know what you don't know." - Thank you kindly for making us aware of these things :)

We hope to have you back at our property sometime soon and wish you a cool summer!

Best -

Harbor View Hotel
Harbor View Hotel
#2 of 4 in Edgartown
Clarion Inn Martha's Vineyard

Been to The Dockside Inn? Share your experiences!