“Repeat Guests.”

Martha's Vineyard Surfside Hotel
Ranked #9 of 15 Oak Bluffs B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 August 2012

We have stayed here every year in September for the past 4 years. Every year there are small improvements to the motel. Pet friendly place to stay, helpful staff, and nice walkable location. I enjoy the small, beautifully kept garden. The standard rooms are nothing special but adequate for us and the price is good for MV. Looking forward to returning this year for some R and R.

Room Tip: Three floors and no elevator so if steps are a problem book accordingly.
Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dianecda26

Reviewed 4 August 2012

First and foremost, I have to thank Katie in the Surfside motels front office. She was able to find me a room on a busy weekend when all the hotels were booked up. I originally booked the room through Orbitz and they canceled my reservation without my consent a month ago. They never even emailed or called me to let me know they had canceled it. The trip was a surprise for my fiancé, for her 26th birthday.
The motel location is superb, it's right in the center of town. It's literally steps away from the beach, ferry, and restaurants. The rooms are nice, clean and good for customers on a tight budget. The staff is curtious and helpful. I really enjoyed the overall experience.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 31 July 2012

Surfside is a great hotel for families, couples, or getting away with friends. The location is outstanding - about a 2 minute walk from the Steamship and Island Queen. It's close to the bars and restaurants on the Dock as well as Circuit Ave. The people who work there are fantastic! Great customer service. The place is clean, well maintained and rooms are a decent size! Bonuses include: free parking, little sitting area outside, location, and if you are a dog lover, you can bring your dog with you!

Room Tip: Besides having rooms with 2 double beds which are the 'norm' they do have a larger room that...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 July 2012

It's not easy to find a hotel on M.V. that will take a one night stay during July, but the Surfside did and my friend and I had a great stay. Our first floor room was clean and comfortable, with an updated bathroom, and a charming garden with wicker furniture right outside our door. Since Oak's Bluff is very compact, we were literally steps away from shops and restaurants, and a very short walk to the harbor and to the famous Gingerbread houses. We also liked the convenience of being close to the ferry stop and to the shuttle bus that runs to Edgartown and Vineyard Haven. Although the Surfside is far from deluxe, it was more than acceptable for our short stay.

Room Tip: We liked the first floor for the access to the patio but I imagine the upper floor would be preferab...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank judytravel
Reviewed 14 July 2012

My husband and I stayed for one night at the surfside motel. The location is 2 minutes walk from the ferry pier AND also from the main streets. The staff were very friendly and upgraded our room to include ocean+street view at no extra cost! The rooms were clean and the size was just right for two. Loved our stay here and would certainly stay again when we visit Martha's Vineyard.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Srividhya S
Reviewed 14 July 2012

Let's cut straight to it, I LOVED this property! Aside from its wonderful central location and our large suite, I loved the feel and flow of the motel, and I've stayed in a lot of places in my travels over the years. I ❤ Oak Bluffs!

Martha's Vineyard (MV) is the only place in the US I had not visited and REALLY wanted to go to! We had visited Cape Cod about 5 years ago, but was not able to go to MV. Since we were cruising out of Boston, what better time than to venture over to the island! So this was an awesome mini vacation.

Although we did some research on the island, everyone's opinion is based on their personality, experience, expectation and budget. That said; we really didn't know where to stay based on what we really like; which is a central location, quality property, family friendly and affordability. I prefer indigenous properties what gives us a local feel and peek into life away from home and we found a gem at Surfside!

A friendly family owned property in the center of MV! It was so well kept and it felt like renovated to almost new condition. It was pristine in maintenance, we had a suite (they only have two) and our bedroom closed to the living room with french doors adorned with Fluer De Lis sheer drapes (I love Paris so this was an awesome touch). The bathroom was clean enough to eat off the floor, crisp white shower drapes, black and white ceramic tiles, deep bathtub, modern brushed sliver facet with a spacious bedroom looking out over the main street. It had an island crisp feel with mild yellow pastel painted walls with white trim and nice impressionistic art adorning the walls.

The living room was large with a kitchen area with mini fridge. Two tv's one in the bedroom and one in the living room (traveling with kids this is such a nice luxury). The front door porch area has white wicker furniture to sit outside each unit. The garden was so quaint with groomed florals, water fountains and was well kept. The office was cozy and they were so helpful in helping us navigate the island and our 1st visit there.

One name: Sarah, Sarah, Sarah! She was amazing! Some people work jobs, but she is made for engaging people. The daughter of the property owner and office assistant; she took the time to give me tips, advice and added sunshine to the visit! The entire staff was friendly, which really helps set the tone for any visit, vacation and property experience.

The front of the property street-side has a couple of nice benches and the famous "Nancy's" pier open seafood restaurant is right around the corner. It was nice eating outside with yacht's behind us for a backdrop.

Food: coming from a cruise eating or taste testing was not really a priority for me. My husband did have the clam chowder at Nancy's and I tried it and it was good. We also had breakfast at "Linda Jeans" located on Circuit Ave.

Wireless connection: The motel property has FREE wireless internet. (Sprint connection on my phone was spotty on the island, but that's Sprint for you) lol Connecting via computer was a snap and no problems.

Walking tour: I fell in love with the gingerbread homes of MV. I must have taken over 300 pics on our vacation there alone. The vineyard is a great place for capturing incredible photographic moments from architecture, sunsets, landscapes and seascapes. -- A photographers dream; amateur or pro!

African American visitors; you must go to the "Inkwell" area of the beach (no sign there, but locals can point you to it). I stumbled on a gem while shopping there at "C'est la Vie" is an affordable black owned gift shop. The owner is a Paris born frenchman who was there when we stopped by and was very personable and fun to talk to. It is located on Circuit street. I found my sorority (AKA) memorabilia and they had the BEST selection of "Inkwell" shirts on the island. YES, I visited all of the stores since I love bargain souvenir shopping. Also see: http://www.soulofamerica.com/marthas-vineyard-guide.phtml

Speaking of shopping, I found things I needed by going into various stores, but no one store had everything I wanted or liked at the price I wanted to pay, but it was an adventure just the same. (store shopping hours open around 9:00 a.m. and most close at 10:00 p.m., a few at 11:00)

Local prices: Of course the hotel is going to be your main expense and for what we got I felt the price was fair. The hotel has a $1.00 soda machine.... Don't laugh too soon, restaurants was on the pricey side for me, but I knew this would not be a bargain vacation. Manageable, but expect to pay $4+ for a hamburger for the most part. There are NO McDonald's, Starbucks, etc. or other type franchises that I saw, so you will be supporting the local economy on that note.

Driving vs taking the ferry. We decided to park the SUV and take the ferry. There were lots of ppl taking their cars over on the ferry but it was more economical to walk it.

Pedestrian friendly: my husband and I commented on how courteous everyone was to yield the way for ppl on foot. No dodging cars there! Lol

Biking: is big on the island! My husband took the kids biking and my oldest and I ventured off on foot and later by city bus for $2.00 per person each way to nearby Edgartown. Their bike rental was $20 for 24 hours at Martha's Bike Rental. Cheaper rates may be available with advance reservations, not sure.

Tourist attractions: be sure to also visit a lighthouse and see the "Jump off Bridge" (where Jaws 2 was filmed) the young at heart line up and jump off the bridge. Well I passed on that. :-) There is a small movie house down the street from the Surfside what was playing two movies, one was the Katy Perry movie.

The beach: the waters were beautiful mixture of blue and green and I loved the rock walk on the beach that you could walk out on into the ocean next to the Inkwell. Take an umbrella and water because the sun was out.

Pets: I saw the most adorable dogs on the island! MV is very pet-friendly i.e. hotels, stores, the ferry, etc. So if you are thinking about bringing your dog and their ppl friendly, you will be in good company!

Weather: we were there July 13th for two days i.e. one night and the weather was great! The evenings you may need a light jacket or hoodie. (We drove over to the island from Boston from a cruise, hence the short stay)

P.S. If you forget to purchase a t-shirt or souvenirs in town, right before you board the boat at the ferry there is a store to the left up the hill with t-shirts for $6.00 each. They had more Cape Cod items, but I was able to makeup my shopping list there for the things I did not get in town.

Would I go back? YES, the hotel was such a great find and the island is enchanting! We squeezed a lot into the short period of time we were there but we didn't do or explore everything on the island or neighboring cities, so more reason to come back....

Room Tip: We were in street view side of Old Bluff Ave in suite #211, next door in #212 there is a small V sha...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank GeekyMell
Reviewed 14 July 2012

Our room was in the third floor with a partial view of the ocean and full view of the busy streets. It's like straight out of those old western classics where hotel room overlooks busy street of the old town. It is within walking distance of the ferry terminal. You can practically look at the commercial areas of the town from your hotel room.

We checked in on July 3rd which would be the busiest day of the year at MV. Yet the staff was very cordial, friendly and always available. Our ferry was a few hours past the checkout time. The hotel staff without hesitation agreed to store our luggage.

The rooms were cleaconformist able and more importantly, extremely cozy. If possible ask for 214/316 which I think have the best view.

• Stayed: July 2012
#2 of 4 in Edgartown
Nashua House Hotel
Nashua House Hotel
#2 of 3 in Oak Bluffs

Been to Martha's Vineyard Surfside Hotel? Share your experiences!