All reviews his wife the owner other guests front porch laid back cookies martha's vineyard the penthouse carriage house bread pudding wrap around porch living room the main street beach towels people watching circuit ave top floor
Reviewed 17 October 2006

This was our first time in a bed and breakfast and our first trip to MV. We did not know what to expect, but we were nicely surprised when we arrived.

Eric has a nice laid back charm that was appearent from the first phone contact all the way through check out. The whole experience was very charming, and we are already making plans to return next year.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Bonnevier
Reviewed 9 October 2006

I booked this inn because it was the best B&B in Martha's Vineyard due to the rating given on this site. However, I was not entirely impressed. Oak Bluffs was much smaller than I thought it would be. Having a car there would have been more ideal.
The house was very well maintained and very clean. The bathrooms are all new and the amenities are good. The only downfall was that Eric's family all live on the top floor making it feel like you are in your parent's house.
Eric's sense of style is very laid back and natural which can be refreshing. But I couldn't help but feel like he's a little burnt out from the business of entertaining. Perhaps we got him on an off-day.
Overall, I believe we are not cut out for such an intimate B&B. I also didn't like that we paid in-season prices for mid-Sept when there were vacancy signs at every inn we passed. The location of our B&B was very central (right on the main street w/shops & restaurants) however, I would have preferred the larger inns by the water.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
3  Thank citychickie
Reviewed 25 September 2006

My husband and I celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary at the Oak Bluffs Inn and cannot be more pleased with our stay. This was our first experience staying at a bed and breakfast and it was truly delightful. The innkeepers, Erik and Rhonda, made us feel right at home from the moment we stepped into the cozy, antique filled parlor, and we felt like we were being welcomed by old friends. We found our room to be impeccably clean and extremely comfortable. Breakfasts were a treat with the homemade baked goods and array of bagels, croissants, etc. We loved everything about the Oak Bluffs Inn, and without a doubt look forward to returning!

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank suving
Reviewed 19 September 2006

I needed to decompress, escape New York City stress
Martha's Vineyard would be the place, but where would I stay in my escape?
I called the Oak Bluffs Inn, Eric the owner happily took me in
I arrived on Labor Day, this commenced my five-night stay
"Hello Nancy" I hear at the door
Eric and Rhonda come greet me with a personal
welcome very nice to hear after my seven hour tour
Lovely clean rooms with tasteful decor lend it an old fashioned kind of charm
And did I mention the perfect location, that made it a great vacation?
Wake up to breakfast, coffee and paper on the porch, or talk and laugh with fellow guests and get to know them more.
You can walk to the beach, visit the gingerbread homes or shop along Circuit Ave.
I found a great bag in Third World Trading New York City didn't even have.
Just hop on the number 13 bus and in minutes you're in historic
Edgartown, where Captain Bob and his boat the Mad Max will take you sailing on Nantucket Sound
Do stop by Vineyard Haven, which boasts the Black Dog Tavern
Whatever you need at the Oak Bluffs Inn just ask and you shall receive, even my bags were carried to the ferry for me on the day I had to leave!!

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled solo
3  Thank noliquids
Reviewed 17 September 2006

We first stayed at the Mansion House in Vineyard Haven for two nights, then moved over to this Inn.

It depends on what you are looking for, but I do not recommend this for the older crowd. We are in our 50's and we were by far the oldest of a pretty full house. Not that this was a bad thing but be prepared.

The house is older, but all of the Vineyard is. The rooms were clean, and we had # 9, which is a nice large room. Beware the shower door must be kept closed or the smoke detector will go off on you!

The Inn itself is nice, breakfast what you would expect, cookies, and a refrigerator for your wine. Lots of books, room to sit, and a porch overlooking Circuit Avenue.

This is where I have a few things to note. First of all, the speakers on the porch are hooked up for your ipod , so you find yourself listening to everyones favorite tunes, fairly loud. Not necessarily relaxing, and the one guy loved Cosby Stills, and it got pretty boring and anoying. My advise to Eric the inn keeper, kill that... It is not for the relaxing people. Yes, it is great for a party house, but that is not what an Inn in the Vineyard should be really.

Also the porch is full of everyone drinking, and Eric had champagne out for some guests, and not others. Again, kinda rude I thought. Some people were back for their fifth visit, and it was like Eric had company and we were intruding. This happened every night. Kinda strange I thought.

We did like the location very much, easy walk or cab ride. The maids did not clean room well, but that was okay.

You will see in some posts Eric thinks he is a cool dude. The fact is he is pretty nice but sorta like being in his house and he is a bit a of a hippy dippy. That again is fine, if you are 20=35, but beyond that, you may want to go somewhere else.

I want this review to be fair, and not to hurt his business, because he was very nice, and runs a nice business. But you sit on the porch while he parties both nites, he has his kids out there on the porch, the ipod is booming, and you expect the college kids to come storming in.

Sooo if you want a vacation that is for the cool,,,hip,,,,crowd, do this INN. You will really love it.

WE did have a good time, but I would go where we fit in better next time, and pay more.

Hard to explain,,,but if you go,,, you will see. It is kinda like being at woodstock

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled with family