“Over and above”
Review of Nashua House Hotel

Nashua House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Oak Bluffs
Reviewed 5 August 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Nashua House Hotel for a long weekend and we were pleasantly surprised by their attention to detail – small basket to carry your travel-sized toiletries to the shower, blow dryer in our room, 24-hour access to coffee/tea and fruit, ear plugs if we needed absolute silence to sleep (our room was over the street and I have to say it was not loud or bothersome whatsoever) towels, chairs and the like for our taking should we want to go to the beach and so much more. When we arrived back, later in the evenings, there were cookies left out on the counter. Our room was beautiful and clean as were the bathrooms. We enjoyed sitting on the porch swing and enjoying the simple pleasures of the season. Note to folks with a sweet tooth – there is an excellent bakery just a few doors away that has back-door donut sales until 1:00a.m. When we return to MV, we’ll be staying at Nashua House.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 31 July 2013

This was my third stay at the Nashua House. It's an affordable place to stay and is conveniently located right in Oak Bluffs for easy walking access to shops, restaurants, Ocean Park or the beach, not to mention, just a couple of blocks from the bus stop. It's nice to have a car on the Island but the bus service runs regularly so that you really don't need one. The Nashua House Inn is located right across the street from the Island's best burger place which also happens to be a brew pub. It's nice to enjoy some of their brew and just walk back to the room afterwards -- no worries about driving. I find the style of the rooms to be "true Island style", cozy, comfortable, clean. I had no problem with the shared baths and never encountered a time when I could not get into one of the bathrooms. Water bottles and bags of chips were in the room when we arrived. Fruit, granola bars, coffee and tea were in the lobby providing some nice little touches. We did not need it but we were offered to leave our luggage in the lobby after check out which is a nice convenience so guests can shop or sight see without having to lug their belongings around.

Room Tip: Rooms with balconies are nice but so are rooms on the north and east sides of the building, especial...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank goldenprairie
Reviewed 28 July 2013

When we arrived at The Nashua, we were really amazed at the cleanliness and overall interior décor. The Nashua was a small but quaint accommodation for a building approximately 150 years old. Our check in was for 3 pm, however Lori mentioned we could store our luggage while we ventured out, and even gave us the keys to our room for later !!!
Clean is beyond anything that could be expressed for our room....it was immaculate. And for those who fear a shared bath??...even after we used the bathroom facilities, it was as if an alarm sounded after each use.....a short time later it was spotless again !!!
The staff keeps up with the cleaning of the bathroom continuously, early morning coffee at the Keurig, the best ( and we were up at 6 AM for our daily walk ). Early evenings if you were lucky enough, fresh baked cookies were available ( they disappeared so quickly ).
We would not hesitate to stay again, and are planning another weekend in September.....thanks to the staff and the Nashua facility. Everything was great and surprisingly appealing.....

Steve and Donna, Fall River, MA

Room Tip: second floor accommodations were very fitting, one less staircase to climb....rooms on the west corn...
1  Thank scfffr
Reviewed 26 July 2013

The staff were all very helpful, as well as kind and sweet. The rooms were very nice and all decorated differently, it felt very comfortable and homey. Our room was always clean when we returned, and they even lined up our shoes for us! I thought the bathrooms would be a problem, but I rarely bumped into any other guests at all and the bathroom always seemed to be open! It was easy to get to all the local food and attractions from our central location. All in all a very wonderful stay!

1  Thank Abigail C
Reviewed 24 July 2013

This hotel is located right in downtown Oak Bluffs, within walking distance to the beach, the bus line, and all of the restaurants and stores.
From the moment we arrived, the hotel staff was accommodating, kind, and helpful. The small touches they placed around the hotel made it feel like home. There was a keurig machine with free coffee, homemade cookies, and a stocked candy dish at all hours in the lobby.
Although the room we stayed in was very small, it was enough space to sleep in. Our room also had a balcony which was a must for extra space.
Needless to say, sharing a bathroom was far from ideal, but it was worth savig the $100 per night extra that we would have paid to have our own bathroom.
I would definitely recommend this hotel for a couple away on a long weekend.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 23 July 2013

This is the first time we stayed over at Marthas Vineyard, and we are very pleased on our stay at the Nashua House Hotel, the room was very cozy and bright it had 3 windows for viewing one overlooking the park and ocean. The bed was very comfortable which made for a good nights sleep, it is within walking distance to everything you would need, from eating, shopping, dancing... They had coffee and fruit and snacks in the lobby, chips and water in the room and the staff was very friendly. We would definitely stay there again, and the price was very reasonable.

Room Tip: higher floors have better views and less traffic
Reviewed 15 July 2013

My stay at the Nashua House was the most pleasant accident I've experienced in a very long time. You really should consider staying here.

I was on the Cape for a wedding and felt the need to run away. I grabbed a ride to the closest ferry and as soon as I docked I googled directions to Offshore Brewing Company. I had no room to stay in, no car, and absolutely no plans; what better way to figure all of that out than over a pint.

As I walked up to Offshore's entrance I noticed the Nashua House across the street; on a whim I wheeled my bag up to the door & rang the bell. Within moments I was greeted by Lorry's bright eyes and broad smile, "Welcome"! I inquired, with what I'm sure were pleading eyes, "do you have a little, itty bitty room for just me? I don't require much, just some quiet". Lorry let me know that their "little, itty bitty room" was booked, but that she had a lovely room, #11, available for the night. I was given the "walk in" rate of $121 after taxes. And then Lorry and I began chatting.

Lorry has to be one of the coolest, intuitive inn keepers I've ever met. In our initial 10-15 minute conversation she was able to make recommendations for just about anything I could have wanted during my stay. As we chatted I helped myself to the bowl full of tootsie rolls on the counter and made myself a fresh cup of coffee... I noticed the fridge under the counter that I could use and the beach towels/beach chairs that would come in very handy. I thanked Lorry and headed up two flights to my room, room #11.

Room #11 faces Offshore Brewing and has bright, expansive windows on two walls. There was a window air conditioner that was working double duty in the 90+ degree and super humidity, a small flat screened television that didn't get turned on, and an alarm clock that was set to 0:00. I thought the 0:00 was so fitting I had to take a picture and didn't set it while I was there. There are shared baths and there was one directly next to me and one across the hall. Everything was so clean, and tidy it was as if I was staying in someone's home. There are "quiet hours" from 10pm-7am, but it didn't matter.... it was quiet the entire time I was there, morning noon and night. BUT if you ARE a light sleeper, Lorry has ear plugs in a bowl next to the tootsie rolls.

As I was on a "run away adventure" I didn't really have toiletries with me.... it didn't matter, there were RUSK brand soap/shampoo & conditioner in the room and pretty fab fluffy towels. My bed was exceptional and the pillows were perfect.

The Nashua House is an experience, if you are an experiential traveler. If you like to keep to yourself, it's a quiet place in the most PERFECT location in OB. Between Lorry's attention to detail and hospitality, the location, the price, and the tootsie rolls I have to say this was one of the most serendipitous experiences I've had in a long time.

Thank you to The Nashua House, Lorry, and Zac for making my stay in MV perfect.

thank you for making my run away adventure exactly what I needed.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
#2 of 4 in Edgartown
Oak Bluffs Inn
Oak Bluffs Inn
#1 of 15 in Oak Bluffs

Been to Nashua House Hotel? Share your experiences!