“Great place”

Ranked #6 of 15 Oak Bluffs B&B and Inns
Westerville, Ohio
“Great place”
Reviewed 24 September 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for a long weekend. We were in room 11, which is a nice big corner room with lots of windows, a screen door and a kitchenette. It was just right for us. The owner was very helpful wih advice about where to get bikes (we got a $5 discount because we were staying there) and where to pick up the bus for our trip to Aquinnah. The breakfast was fine - several types of muffins, coifee cake, juice - but I would have liked a lower fat alternative like maybe oatmeal or English muffins. Regarding the low ratings in tripadvisor, notice that the 3 "terrible" review were logged in the same week, possibly by the same set of travelers, and please take that into account. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Jenny H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Melbourne
Reviewed 21 September 2012

Adorable accommodation with a personal touch.
Staff fantastic! They are friendly, accomodating and full of great tips on where to go etc
The rooms are quaint and the beds are super comfortable, if you are wanting lots of space then go to a hotel and not a bed and breakfast.
Exceeded all my expectations and will be coming back soon!

• Stayed September 2012
Berwick, ME
Reviewed 2 September 2012

I came to the Vineyard for a week long conference. The other hotel I had booked at never received my reservation (careful with Booking.com - they had emailed me 'reservation confirmed' but the hotel never received it.) Jane, who with her husband Paul owns the Narragansett House and the Iroquois House right across the street, was truly gracious and took me in and gave me a room on no notice. The room was beautiful. It was large enough to suit my needs and had great storage space. Hand stained wood, big old wardrobe, door with stained glass transom on top, much natural light from the windows and the glass paneled door leading out onto a small deck - I was so impressed with the attention to detail and tlc that went into creating this welcoming space. The windows and deck door were treated with white 'rice paper' shades and light white gauze curtains - just light, airy and beautiful. I am the lightest sleeper in the world, but the ceiling fan combined with the small but sufficient air conditioner/fan in one of the windows was effective white noise. The Iroquois House was quiet, so I was in good shape for my mornings. The room and bathroom (small, white, pretty with awesome water pressure) were sparkling clean and housekeeping came in daily in an incredibly unobtrusive way. They have a small shared fridge for guests to store food/beverages in. Jane was gracious and helpful - she got me everywhere I needed to go and never showed stress from my many, many visits to her with questions and need of direction. I absolutely loved my stay there and would very highly recommend the Iroquois House to anyone who wants a real b&b experience. The house is a block away from the beach, a block from Circuit St, a 5 minute walk to the bus stop and a 15 minute bus drive to Edgartown. Perfect.

Room Tip: My Iroquois House room had ac and small deck. The house is quiet at night so probably good for peopl...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed 31 August 2012

We were charmed by the house and the Iroqois annex in which we stayed.
Jane, the owner received us graciously and permitted us to stay several hours past check out time.
Our room was romantic and charming and the ceiling fan and comfy bed had us sleeping 9 hours a night.
We enjoyed the terrace off our room while listening to wonderful gospel singing emanating from next door's Union House of Worship.
The proximity to the main drag, Circuit Avenue, the beach and the harbor were perfect.
Loved it!!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Huntington, New York
Reviewed 8 August 2012

Not your luxury rooms. The rooms in the main house are small. There was an air conditioner in our room. It was small, but adequate. If it had not been there, we would have baked, because the weather was very hot and humid. The room seemed clean. The bathroom was large, almost as large as the room (# 12). We stayed three nights. We booked about a month before, so a lot of other places had no availability. Jane, the owner, was very polite, professional, helpful and friendly to us. We did not give her a hard time about anything. We got what we expected, so if you stay here, do not think you are going to a Marriott. There were other guests there, and they raved about the rooms in the Iroquois Cottage. I did not see them, but I was told there were very nice. OK, so the breakfast was muffins, juice and cake. She told us ahead of time and that is all the website claims, so that was as stated.
Overall, it was a pleasant stay. We did not spend a lot of time in the room. She loaned us beach towels, told us to use the fridge for my ice packs, helped up out with the buses, and stored out bags until we left town at 3 pm, so from 1100 am to 230 pm she kept our luggage so we would not have to lug it all over the place. That was very nice of her.
I had seen the bad reviews before I booked, but I took the chance and had a nice experience. I also will say that i am rather picky and usually choose fancier places at higher prices. So, I was still satisfied and not at all disappointed.

Room Tip: Our room # 12 was small but adequate. It has A/C. It is also on the first floor. Its very quiet.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Plymouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 July 2012

I am absolutely in shock about the terrible service I got here. I booked two rooms, excited because the pictures online seemed so welcoming and spacious for such a great price, and got the complete opposite. The website claims that staff at the Narragansett House strive for an "emphasis on friendliness"...HA. What a joke. We were dissatisfied with the rooms (No A/C in the rooms, never mind the entire building despite the 90% humidity, closet sized space, totally misleading from the website pictures and listed accommodations) so we requested to have our money back politely. After speaking with the receptionist, the owner of the Narragansett House came in to literally kick us out of the place like we were dogs. As we were getting our things, she felt the need to come upstairs and say, "You need to get out, right now." I have never been treated like this by ANY hotel/Inn staff, and am in shock that of all people, it was the owner. Not to mention the "served continental breakfast" was really just a toaster and a coffeepot in a pantry that you could go ahead and do yourself. This place was such a disappointment and I truly warn anyone from coming here and wasting your money.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank Brandi R
Plymouth, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Waaaayy overpriced for the converted attic rooms. Rooms the size of closets. No air conditioning! When asked about air conditioning, they pointed to a window. Website pictures are deceiving. Bare bones here. Staff was shockingly rude. We got our money back and left. Do not book a room here!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Clarion Inn Martha's Vineyard
Oak Bluffs Inn
Oak Bluffs Inn
#1 of 15 in Oak Bluffs

Been to Narragansett House? Share your experiences!