“We will definitely return!”
Review of Narragansett House

Narragansett House
Ranked #6 of 15 Oak Bluffs B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 October 2013

If you want an authentic Oak Bluffs experience in a terrific location, the Narragansett House fits the bill. We live across the sound in Falmouth (where the Island Queen departs from) so we make a couple of day trips a year to walk the campgrounds or neighborhoods of Oak Bluffs. This was the first time we had actually stayed on the island in years but we so enjoyed our two nights at the Narragansett House that we plan to make it an annual visit.

We stayed in the Iriquois Cottage which Jane and Paul (the owners) have obviously painstakingly restored. The room had the feel of another time with period furnishings and arched doors (with beautiful stained glass) leading to a wonderful little balcony. Clean, comfortable, and spacious bath (way nicer than we have at home), and a great little flat screen TV so we didn't miss the Patriot's game Sunday night :).

The location is perfect as you are literally steps from everything but it feels like you are far removed from the hustle and bustle. Jane was more than helpful meeting our needs and the other staff we met were friendly as well.

We have read other complaints here about the breakfast of "store bought" coffee cake and muffins. We didn't try the muffins but the coffee cake was awesome (as was the coffee). Maybe it was sitting in a rocker on the porch in the morning sun that made it taste so good (like the hot dog at Fenway Park effect), but whatever it was you can sign us up for more.

Back in the 1980's (due to my work at the time) I stayed regularly at some of the finest Inns on the Island. While many were quite nice I realize now that what most lacked was an authentic experience. Once inside you really could have been Anywhere USA. These days we gravitate toward places that give you the feel of the area you are staying. Our expectations allow for, and in fact we enjoy, the quirky imperfections that give a place it's character. Oak Bluffs is a unique community, beautiful without being sterilized and this Inn reflects that character nicely.

Thanks Jane, Paul, and staff for your hospitality, We appreciate the hard work, frustrations, and long hours that go in to hosting the public and maintaining these wonderful Victorian treasures. We will definitely return!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank bookmooses

Reviewed 22 September 2013

Just got back from the Vineyard.Thoroughly enjoyed your Inn.We loved our room at the Irisquois Inn.Room was spacious, clean, and just beautifully decorated.We loved the 2nd floor balcony from our roomThank you Jane and Paul for making our stay wonderful!We will be back!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 September 2013

I stayed at the Narragansett House for one night - it was a spur of the moment decision because the beach front B&B I stayed at did not have an extra night available- and I wanted to stay on the island one more night because the weather forecast was great! I found the owner to be very friendly, pleasant and accommodating...after reading a previous review, I wondered how we could be speaking about the same person. It is true that this a kind of a "quirky" B&B with a tiny staircase that led to my room...but the room was pleasant, the bathroom super clean, the bed was comfortable and it was very quiet. The breakfast was serve yourself with a nice coffee cake, several kinds of muffins, juice, coffe and tea.. perhaps some fresh fruit would be a nice addition but I believe it was advertised as a continental breakfast...and that is what it was. It is a very convenient location - close to Circuit Ave. with stores and restaurants but also just a 5 minute walk to the beach and the vast bus system. I loved the porch with the large rocking chairs - nice to sit and read - have a glass of wine and watch the people watching you as they walked by. I would have to say that I am glad with my choice for that extra night on the Vineyard - and I would stay here again.

Room Tip: My room did not have a balcony (#6) and there was no view...but it was quiet and had a nice private...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 September 2013

My friend and I stayed at Narragansett House over this past weekend, for 4 nights. I had read previous reviews about the owner and the Inn and to be honest was a little concerned. I am happy to report that we absolutely loved everything about our stay here. The owner actually made our entire stay. From the second we arrived she took the time to get to know us and help us plan our stay. She recommended several restaurants and shops around the area and her advice was spot on. Jane was the perfect host and we enjoyed getting to know her while there.
We found the Inn delightful and absolutely loved our room. We were in room number 4 and found it quite charming and thoroughly enjoyed starting and ending each day on the private balcony. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this spot to anyone and everyone.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Where to start? Run down. No A/C, which, in fairness, appears to be common. The "Bed" in B & B was in a tiny, stifling room in need of renovation with dirty carpet and sponge painted walls and the "Breakfast" was self-serve coffee in a paper cup with a dry slice of coffee cake or a muffin from Sysco to be eaten off a thin paper plate with a plastic fork. The best part of the stay was the porch we sat on until late evening because our room was so hot we couldn't go to bed! Oh! And then there was the bath that was down the hall from our room. It had a shower meant for a child, a shower head that provided a mist rather than a spray and sparse amenities usually generously provided. The most hysterical event was when my husband watched two squirrels run out of the room across the roofline from us. Old - not charming, Worn out - not quaint, Self-serve - not hospitable. Run, don't walk - - away from this B & B.

Room Tip: Expand your research. Ask the right questions: is there A/C; what does breakfast consist of; is the...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank travelgram02
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Okay, if you've never been to MV or the town of Oak Bluffs, don't think the pictures of this inn look unusually charming - ALL the buildings in Oaks Bluff look like that. It's a lovely town. This inn, on the other hand, is a disaster due to one reason: an inexplicably miserable owner. Yes, it was a bit pricey, rooms were a bit shabby chic / beach house-y, but that's part of the appeal of this town. It could have been quirky and delightful if the owner of this inn didn't make it seem unwelcoming and depressing instead. I honestly have no idea what her problem is - rude, even hostile, unhelpful...why she got into HOSPITALITY will puzzle me to the end of my days. By all means, stay in Oak Bluffs. Just don't stay here. One of the most disappointing accommodation experiences I have ever had in my life.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Amy S
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We have had this trip booked for months and were really looking forward to it! We booked several rooms over a 2-4 day period to accommodate our family for an annual family gathering. We spent between $3,000-$4,000 for the 4 rooms. Our email exchanges prior to going there were friendly and professional. When we got there, it was a whole different story. The owner barely greeted us upon arrival and was very unfriendly for our entire stay after that. We arrived early just to ask a few questions before we came back to check-in. She was overwhelmed and admonished us for being there early. She threw up her hands and walked away while we were in the midst of talking. The next day, when our next family members arrived, we asked about parking because there was a ban due to fireworks. Again, no welcome or greeting, she threw her hands up again and said, "I don't know where you are going to park"! We asked what people usually do and she said, "They park on the street". She would not try to accommodate us with her other lot across the street which had plenty of extra spaces. Over the next 3 days, we were snubbed and treated rudely by her. She barely acknowledged our existence and avoided us except to tell one of our party, "move your car", after she parked in her other lot. Her husband, who we passed by several times, never even said hello. We are regulars on the Vineyard and have vacationed there for 20 years. This was the worst experience we have ever had. It is also rudest we have ever been treated by an inn-keeper anywhere in our 40 years of travel. I would not recommend this inn. The rooms were OK, but over-priced for what they were. Wi-fi worked intermittently but Jane, the owner, was so unfriendly and angry that none of us even wanted to approach her to ask for help. The grounds need upkeep. Noisy at night mostly from other guests partying outside one of the rooms. Kathy, the employee at the front desk, was, by contrast, extremely nice and helpful! Thankful to her because, otherwise, we felt very unwelcome.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Martha's Vineyard Resort
Martha's Vineyard Resort
#10 of 15 in Oak Bluffs
Martha's Vineyard Surfside Hotel

Been to Narragansett House? Share your experiences!