“Barely OK and Overpriced”

Martha's Vineyard Resort
Ranked #11 of 15 Oak Bluffs B&B and Inns
Nottingham
“Barely OK and Overpriced”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

This place turned out to be very ordinary, but the price was the highest I found ($225 per night). I had to stay there because other places were full. It was clean and quiet enough, but the room was small and tight, the bathroom was old-fashioned and inconveniently arranged and the nothing-fancy continental breakfast was in a windowless basement. It's also located a mile or so outside of town, so you need transportation to go and come. I can think of several more annoyances related to M.V. "Resort" (there's a tennis court), but perhaps you already get the idea. Give this place a pass; there are plenty of others for less money.

Room Tip: I only saw my own room, which was in a separate annex. Maybe the rooms in the main house are bigger...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank MightyAlbion

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Yonkers, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2011

The very first time that I stayed at Martha's Vineyard Resort even though I had been going to MV for over 30 years! I found the Owner to be very freiendly and I felt extremely comfortable being by myself. The rooms were much larger than other Inns that I had rented with private baths, inside and exterior sitting areas.

There was complimentary wine in the room and complimentary tea/coffee, continental breakfast in the mornings and a 10 minute walk into town. The Martha's Vineyard Resort helped to make my Labor Day Holiday one of the best ever and I can't wait to go back!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank 994CALovesToTravel
Providence, Rhode Island
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2011

We stayed here during Labor Day weekend, we chose this spot because we needed spot that would let us stay for 2 nights, and was under $200 a night since we were shooting a wedding. The "Resort" should rename itself a motel or inn, so not to disappoint guests expecting more. It is located about a mile from the center of Oak Bluffs, away from the action. The rooms are clean but old fashioned. The mattress was very uncomfortable for two nights. There is a/c and free wifi, and plenty of parking. others mentioned breakfast, I did not see or get offered breakfast. if I were lookin for a luxury getaway on MV this would not be it, but it was fine for work purposes.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank uglyagnes
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2011

I could not be real picky as the Island is packed this time of year. The place is very clean. But if you are going to stay here, ask for even rooms only. The odd rooms are on a major road and can be noisy.

The pillows are hard as rocks, so bring your own !! The bus stops right in front, and it is midway (5 minute ride to either) between Oak Bluffs and Vineyard Haven, but not within walking distance within anything. If you want quiet its not a bad place to stay. If you want to be in a town, then this is not the answer.

Like I said earlier, very polite inn keeper and very clean.

Room Tip: Even rooms will give a quieter night sleep
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MikeR2011
Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

I have stayed in B&B is various states and I have to tell you that I was never so disappointed than at this particular stay. The room's interior and decor was antiquated and stale. There was nothing appealing and inviting to the senses; except the outside. When I stay at a B&B I expect to have an away from home, refreshing, nostalgic experience and that has been the standard up until this point - this experience.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank youarenosy
Claudette N, Manager at Martha's Vineyard Resort, responded to this review, 29 August 2011
I’m shocked this guest was disappointed because many times during her stay she told me how much she and the others in her group were enjoying the Inn. She specifically complimented me on the cleanliness and comfort of her room; and how she and her companions were enjoying use of the tennis court, pool table and grounds. She ate our continental breakfast every morning and never expressed any disappointment about the food or dining area. I don’t understand why she is stating that she was not given the option of having a hot breakfast that includes eggs, bacon, sausage etc... She was well aware that we serve a continental breakfast only as it is stated on our website which she reviewed and as well was told by me. Our continental breakfast consists of fresh fruit, yogurt, hot and cold cereals, assortment of pastries and breads, juice, tea and coffee. Many of our guest have shared compliments about our breakfst. They are impressed with the variety and healty choices.
When she initially reserved the room, I told her the room had a queen size bed that accommodates two people. She told me the room was for she and her daughter and that was fine. However, upon arrival 8/20/11 she checked-in herself along with three other people for the same room. I reiterated to her that her room accommodates only two people. However, she was adamant that all four of them would be comfortable in her room. She was asked to pay an extra $25 for each additional guest. Unfortunately, she never paid for her additional guests or for her stay at the resort. Ironically, she states in TripAdvisor.com that she was “ripped off” yet I’m the one who has been deprived of payment for her stay at the resort.

This guest expressed having financial difficuly and requested to be charged at the end of her stay. I was sympathetic to her circumstances and therefore agreed to collect the amount she owed upon her departure date. I was also lenient with regards to her additional guests and did my best to accommodate them. However, without my knowledge this guest departed a day earlier than schedule and did not pay for her stay.
Chino Hills, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2011

When we got there, we were told that there was a mix-up with our reservation. Claudette, the owner/manager/innkeeper, dealt with it appropriately and fairly. Although we started off on the wrong foot, it wasn't long before we started feeling at home. Accommodations were okay, but it was the personalized service that won us over. The kind that you usually don't get or feel when checked-in in bigger hotels. She was always busy attending to something but never too busy to give a warm smile, chat, and check on your needs. You would see her do this with each and every guest that she would happen to bump into. My objective rating=4/5, My personal-subjective rating=5/5. ....Claudette, if you're reading this...."Thanks a lot!"

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Bing d
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2011

This b&b is great for first time visitors to the vineyard and also budget friendly. Claudette the innkeeper is nice and there is lots to do at the Inn. Play tennis, billards, ride bikes(free) or have a nice quiet afternoon and sit on the porch in the beautiful rocking chairs and enjoy the island.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
#6 of 15 in Oak Bluffs
Oak Bluffs Inn
Oak Bluffs Inn
#3 of 15 in Oak Bluffs

Been to Martha's Vineyard Resort? Share your experiences!