“Rude, Unprofessional, and Unhelpful”

Martha's Vineyard Resort
Ranked #11 of 15 Oak Bluffs B&B and Inns
Connecticut
“Rude, Unprofessional, and Unhelpful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2008

I reserved a stay through the resorts OWN on line reservation system. Two days later I received a one line email stating that they could not honor the reservation. I called the resort and spoke with a monotone, snobby person that explained, after I had to ask for elaboration on the message, that the on line booking system "messed up." That was ALL the information he offered. I stated that I thought it was unprofessional of the resort to: wait 2 days to infrom me of their 'mess up,' inform me by email, and provide no explanantion nor identification of who wrote the email. The man explained that this was a standard software response. Well, for a resort who claims to cater to making events "special," I highly doubt that they are capable of doing so, considering that they could not attend to basic reservation needs nor provide pleasant customer service.

• Disliked — rude, unhelpful customer service
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
5 Thank jennydct

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2007

So I can't give a rating based on an actual hotel stay since I didn't get the chance to actually stay there (and will not be staying there in the future), but if the service before the stay is this bad, I can just imagine what the service at the hotel would be!! In any case, I paid $65 for the right to post this warning to fellow travellers....

We had plans to fly into Martha's Vineyard and stay at this hotel for a couple nights this summer, but due to inclement weather conditions we were forced to cancel our reservation the day before, and at that time we rescheduled for a later date. The person I spoke to did not mention a cancellation fee if I were to cancel the future date. Unfortunately, we just had to cancel our rain dates as well, but we did give more than the stated 14 days notice and got hit with the $65 fee! I had to send numerous emails before I got a proper explanation as to why we got charged, and as it turns out it was for the initial reschedule.

I understand that a hotel reserves the right to uphold any ridiculous cancellation policy it chooses, but they also reserve the right to use judgment when dealing with customers instead of treating them like a cash-cow.

As private pilots there are often last minute changes to plans due to weather and other unforeseen events. And in all of my travels, I have never experienced a hotel with a policy this inflexible and lacking of customer care. We had every intention of staying there next summer, but not anymore. As far as I know there are no other hotels on Martha’s Vineyard who have this cancellation policy.

So beware, and if you do book with this hotel be ready to cough up $65 if you happen to have any unforseen change of plans!

• Stayed October 2007
6 Thank JennyInToronto

Travellers are raving about these Oak Bluffs hotels

Earth, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2007

I just came off a weekend stay and I admit with the recent negative reviews I was a little nervous about staying here. Most of the hotels/B+B's on MV are priced starting at $300 per night. Unless you stay at the youth hostel, its a relative bargain at a mere $28 p/n and 1/2 hour bus ride from anything interesting...but I digress....

What I usually look for in a hotel is a clean and safe place to sleep. I dont know what the other reviewers do on their vacations, but I know I dont spend all my time in the hotel....

The hotel was located about 1 mile from downtown Edgartown. It is a $6 cab ride or a 10 minute walk if you are so inclined. One of the best parts of being on New York Avenue is that there are two bus lines which run right past the front doors. This means if you wait for about 10 - 15 minutes during the day, you will be able to flag one down. You are also located in between Vineyard Haven and Edgartown with Edgartown being closer.

The lobby was quite nicely done, as was the overall look and feel of the property. The tennis courts were on the older side, but frankly, I didnt go there to play tennis. Perhaps the hotel hurts themselves more by openly bragging about them.

The rooms themselves are done nicely, I had a chance to peek in them one morning....I ended up with the smallet room which was not all that small. It had a tv, a/c, desk full size bed and private bath.

The continental breakfast provided in the morning was served appropriately, consistening of fresh fruit, coffee, tea, juices and yogurt. I noticed no smell in the basement and I was expecting one to tell you the truth based on the previous review. The furniture was older, but clean ( a recurring theme here). It provided just what we needed to get our day started.

Check-in was at 1check-out was at 11. The attendants are on property and a quick call from the front desk brings either Claudette (the innkeeper) or another employee to assist. They were happy to hold our bags for us both before check-in and at check out.

My wife and I had a great time on the island and she expressed no issues to be with the accomodations (which usually happens).

All in all, you should be pleased with this resort. If you realize that when you are paying 1/2 the rate of EVERY other resort on the island you should be thrilled with what you get.

I will upload some of the pictures I took shortly.

• Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2007

We stayed at Martha's Vineyard Resort from 7/27-7/30/2007 after my husband asked our travel agent to recommend a resort on the Vineyard for a birthday surprise. Surprise it was!

The website speaks of tennis tournaments held here and putting greens; however the reality is that the tennis courts appear to be ancient and in disarray and there was no sign of any golf elements at all! I note that the hotel supplied pictures on this site also show a golf course (not located anywhere we saw near this place), a kitchenette (which is in the common basement where breakfast is "served") and rooms much larger than the shoebox we had. Beware of the advertisements as they do not equal the actual accomodations.

I would love to say that the service made up for the misunderstanding we had about the accomodations. However, we got virtually zero service. No one was there when we arrived to check in at 3 p.m. on a Friday and we had to call for assistance. Then, we were told the total for our stay, the breakfast time and handed our key. We had questions about the bus system but the clerk did not stay around long enough for us to ask. My husband had to call the resort to get these questions answered, and the response was curt at best. Additionally, breakfast was laid out in the basement (which smells like most mildew-ridden basements). In the 30 minutes that we could tolerate the smell, we saw NO ONE from the resort. Bread, muffins, boxed cereal, yogurt, juice, coffee and tea were displayed on tables with dirty tablecloths. That was not the type of breakfast we expected so be forewarned.

When we needed some extra towels, we were fortunate to find the storage closet ourselves or we would have been out of luck. We never saw the innkeeper or any staff members at the desk on any of our entrances or exits. When it was time to check out, we waited 20 minutes then left the key on the desk as no one arrived to assist us and no one answered the phone when we tried calling. The innkeeper came out of her residence about 25 mins AFTER that and waved as we were waiting for the bus.

Speaking of the bus, thank god for the Vineyard bus service as this hotel is about 1.5 miles from downtown Oak Bluffs. We walked it several times, but if you were dressed for dinner it was impractical (especially the uphill return after some wine with dinner). If you go, you should know that you just wave to the bus and it will pull over and pick you up and will drop you off wherever you pull the stop request cord. Please be aware that you need exact change when paying on the bus as the driver cannot give change. We were also told that you could not buy the day passes on the bus, and we purchased them at the Steamship Authority offices. It was a $6.00 cab ride plus tip for two of us from the Ferry to the resort. The bus was a better bargain as we used it to travel all over the island.

On a positive note, the place was relatively clean, and we paid approximately $159.00 per night plus tax. It was a lesson to my DH and myself that you get what you pay for in life.

We had an EXCELLENT dinner at the Park Corner Bistro and would recommend that place to anyone! Good fish and chips at Sandy's Fish and Chips during a moped outing (not open on Sun and Mon and only outside picnic table for seating) and good breakfast at Linda Jean's (but be prepared to wait). It was also fun to ride the Flying Horses.

So, as for MVR, buyer beware as it is not what we envisioned from the advertising. I see another reviewer had a similar misconception which makes me feel like it is more likely the resort's advertising issues than our distorted expectations. Hope this helps.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — everything else but service most of all.
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
5 Thank trvlcupl
Arkansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2006

We were looking for something affordable for our anniversary vacatiion on MV. At $150/night for the week, we thought we'd found a great bargin. The pictures and description on the website made it sound like a Godsend. However, when we arrived, we drove right past the "RESORT" because it looked like a private residence! The room was very small, but since we were out sightseeing most days it wasn't a big problem. The tennis "FACILITY" was two aged clay courts. Basically, it was a bed & breakfast - not a resort by any means. Now the good news! It was clean, it was good basic accomadations and at an affordable price for the area, (think $300/night everywhere else for about the same thing). When you go to MV be prepared that you won't find 4 star hotels or even modern motels. Everything there is old, quaint fishing village accomadations. Kick back relax and just go with the flow and you'll find that MV Resort is a good bargin for the $$$$. We'd consider going back!

Stayed August 2006
3 Thank pumpkee
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2006

The website is nice and I'm certain the place is wonderful; unfortunately I had to cancel within one day of making reservations for an off-season one-night stay three months in advance and was charged $65! There should be a tiered sliding scale in fees, taking into account the date of reserving vs cancelation, the length of stay and the off-season. $65 seems steep, even if the room was $295 a night. This policy makes me nervous about how a guest would be treated upon arrival: as a new friend or a dollar sign? Unless I win a contest, I will not consider staying there in the future.

• Stayed July 2006, travelled with family
2 Thank cebbug
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2005

If you ask me this is layed back vacationing at it's best. I have been to this resort 4 times and have always had a great time. Jack & Claudette are friendly, as well as eager to make your stay as comfortable as possible. This resort is clean, inviting, and walking distance to everything I wanted to do. I will be returning in a couple weeks to catch some Porgies and Sun.

Stayed July 2004
#6 of 15 in Oak Bluffs
Oak Bluffs Inn
Oak Bluffs Inn
#2 of 15 in Oak Bluffs

Been to Martha's Vineyard Resort? Share your experiences!