“Wonderful Experience from the first email”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Oak Bluffs
The Samoset On The Sound
Ranked #14 of 15 Oak Bluffs B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 October 2013

This beautiful historic home is truly a gem on the Vineyard. My Husband and I were looking for last minute accommodations for one night...impossible to find, we thought! Marlene wrote back immediately offering a room for the night and was so accommodating to our specific needs. From the time we checked in we were treated like family...even put up in the bridal suite when we mentioned we were celebrating our anniversary. This historic home is so quaint, clean and beautifully kept. The beds were so comfortable and rooms were quiet. This beautiful home sits right by the ocean and what a wonderful time we had sitting on the sun porch sharing a bottle of wine. We will definitely return!

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view. Bridal Suite is roomy and has couch and private bathroom
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 September 2013

We stayed this place and it was absolutely the worst experience ever. The Inn was a run-down place but it was almost only one place left in the peak season. We read several very bad reviews, including those warning of attitude of inn-keepers but we thought it might be a subjective judgement. It was really a mistake.

The Inn was operated by an old woman and her relative, niece, both were incredibly rude and could not believe. I should said that the location is not bad, right across a public beach. But all attitude of in-keeper of this place gave us a real nightmare. We had a very small room (much smaller than we thought) and had a constant noise of toilet, shower, walking etc, and I could not sleep at all. The old women constantly told us what we should not do (e.g. our way to hung a towel is bad, none of her business). We complained the room size, noise, breakfast time and quality but they did not listen, instead insulting us verbally and by e-mails. My family members also complained but stated we should provide very honest and objective reviews of this place which would be the best response to their treatment (and they did). We keep all communications with them and would like to share with anyone who would think to stay in this place. As the below review says, I can not recommend this place even to my worst enemy.

Room Tip: First of all, not to choose this place, but if you still go, not to take any rooms next to the bathr...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank doranobi
Reviewed 27 July 2013 via mobile

My husband and I wanted a place to stay in MV that was close to the ferry, as we were traveling by bike with beach chairs and provisions for a couple days. We were happy with the Samoset. We have stayed at B & B's and know they each have their quirks. The substitute innkeeper was friendly and accommodating. We got nothing less than we expected. The area was a little noisy but it is on a main street. I would be weary if super hot weather was to be expected because there is no A/C. The bathrooms leave a lot to be desired. All in all it's a good place to stay to see the island. The VTA ( bus system) is very good. Eat at the Ocean View.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 23 October 2012

This B&B was all I'd hoped for in a getaway on MV. The house mother "Velgrad" is hilarious and ensures that you're well-taken care of, even offering her personal umbrella of it rains.

The location is lovely, just steps away from the beach and the sunset view from the porch is stunning. Top it off with a Portugese Muffin and apricot jam (house special) and you're golden. The rocking chairs and dusk over the shore makes you feel as though you are far, far away--which is just what I was looking for. (With WI-FI of course.)

Velgrad's niece is also very helpful, ready to offer up directions and great spots to eat as needed. All in all, I'd recommend this place if you'd like to experience MV like it was in the movies...the good, old ones.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank tamika g
Reviewed 27 September 2012

Location location location! Samoset On the Sound was the perfect place for my husband and I. We felt very comfortable there. It was like staying with family. We were not looking for a fancy place just a comfortable bed to sleep in with a nice view and close to everything. You absolutely cannot stay in a better location for the price! The view is amazing and you can walk everywhere. We stayed in the porch room which was really neat to wake up and see the sun rise. It included a small fridge which was great. We did have to share a bathroom with other guests but it honestly wasn't a problem. Everything was clean and only had to wait a few minutes one morning for a shower. Breakfasts were simple. Included fresh baked bread, port muffins, cereal and hot coffee and tea. No frills but just what you need to be comfortable. Val and Marlene were so nice. Definitely staying here again.

Room Tip: the porch room! get the porch room!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rchambo
Reviewed 26 August 2012

This B and B has 8 rooms. The location is right across the street from the beach and within walking distance of everything that OB has to offer. The hosts were great. House is a typical MV cottage on the beach, so if you are expecting 5 star pampering, this is not for you. Perfect beach vacation spot for anyone looking for a real island experience.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 20 August 2012

I will first say that the location is fantastic. Steps from the beach in OB and not even five minutes from the town center. Other than that this place is horrible. Like many in MV for the summer it isnt cheap. The furnishings are old, like dusty and threadbare old, and the place feels like you dont want to sit anywhere. The staff are rude, and being family, they argue in true family fashion in front of guests! I was told upon arriving that breakfast is available 7am-11am, and who ever is up first has to make the coffee. Seriously?! Considering the older than dirt inn keeper didnt rise till about ten it was indeed me. We were there for the fireworks this year and there were no kidding about twenty people crowding the inn's front yard and porch..many of them clearly not 21 and drinking heavily. My husband and I who paid over $230 a night to stay wanted to bring drinks back and sit on the porch ourselves and couldnt find space! A main selling point of this inn is the widow walk on the roof..okay if you dont kill yourself getting up there you can enjoy what? No chair, no nothing, and room for maybe four people at the most. We ended up checking out a day early and they didnt even ask. No 'everything okay?' nothing. I would not stay here again and would not recommend it to my worst enemy.

Room Tip: If you have to do it take the Pagoda room. We had this one..its near the bathroom but doesnt share a...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple