“Bit of a let down”

Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary, Bar
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We chose this restaurant after reading the great reviews but were sorely disappointed by our experience. I can overlook the crowded feel and the busy bar because I know for some people this adds to the atmosphere. What I cannot overlook is poorly prepared food and rudeness by staff especially since I thought it was also overpriced. Yes, the menu is innovative but it hardly matters if what you order is poorly cooked. Like a previous reviewer my fishcakes were burned on the outside and cold in the middle. Our waiter was chatty and pleasant to begin with until we asked to share a main course (a huge steak) and from then on he could barely look at us. I was left with the feeling that their reviews have gone to their heads a little and the customers have ceased to be important.

3  Thank MontyPup

Reviewed 26 September 2013

Went for dinner with a friend and really excited after reading reviews. Bit of a let down. We had fishcakes to start with were burnt on outside and cold in middle. We saw that the portions were huge so we asked to share a steak. This was met with disapproving looks and when it came it was on one plate and we had to ask for another. The service was not very attentive and the food not exceptional. Noisy bar close to tables.

1  Thank MOWO
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Our memorable Labor Day weekend meal included original sauces, especially Island Fresca, suitable for both meat lovers and vegetarians. We all agreed that our choices were amazing and were happy with the wine selection. But the nicest part of our experience came a week later when we realized we had left a bag with a newly purchased sweatshirt inside. Thomas, the manager, had kept the sweatshirt and was happy to mail it to us at no cost (we offered to pay!). Red Cat Kitchen is now at the top of my list of favorite restaurants.

1  Thank Martha8848
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Our dinner was outstanding. We started with the beet salad. The mix of flavors and ingredients was fantastic. We had a tautog fish special and the vegetable risotto. Both were excellent. We then decided to have dessert since the food was so delicious. We chose the apple blueberry crisp. It was also wonderful. However when the bill came we were shocked by the price of the dessert. We weren't given a menu, waiter verbally told the desserts. The crisp cost $14.00. I don't believe that we ever paid that much for a simple dessert, not even in NYC! It is still hard to believe that a restaurant would charge that amount of money for a few apples slices and blue berries. I couldn't believe that it wasn't a mistake. Would definitely recommend this restaurant. I have learned a lesson always ask the price if it isn't given to you.

Reviewed 21 September 2013

The Red Cat had taken over the space that previously housed Zapotec ( MV best Mexican). While disappointed that Zapotec was no more, Island friends assured us that this was a diamond in the rough. Lets start with the appetizers....Beet Salad and Island Fresca....both unusual and outstanding. We also enjoyed the Tempura Green Beans, and the Crispy Fried Brussel Sprouts.
Everything was delicious, but these stood out.
If I remember, Chef Ben took real pride in his Fried Chicken, and he rightly should. I never asked if he was a Southerner, but the Chicken and Braised BBQ Pork Shank make me think maybe so. However, he does't miss a beat with the seafood dishes, notably the Tuna and the Scallops.
The desserts are at least as good as the rest of the food, so save a little room. Don't expect a quiet, romantic evening. The music is loud, the bar fills up with waiting diners, and you may feel a little rushed, But......Like the headline says.....good enough for us to go "Twice in a week"