Island Alpaca Company of Martha's Vineyard
Ranked #7 of 50 things to do in Oak Bluffs
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Island Alpaca invites you to bring the family and friend for a unique experience, including a gift shop filled with locally grown garments, and down-on-the-farm furry, fun. Take their self-guided, walking tour from to arrive at the 2,400 square foot antique Post & Beam Barn. Get up close with the friendly fluffy alpaca and meet our new babies... (over 50 of them!) in our very special viewing area. Enjoy some tasty treats and hot cider while watching our alpaca or take in their alpaca video presentation. Bring a sample of their fleece harvest home to your family and friends! (Alpaca's are also for sale!) Open daily, 10 to 4 pm, rain or shine. See you at the farm!
Reviewed 13 August 2014

The alpaca farm was a great experience for me (a 10-year old girl). The whole family, including my 15-year old brother, enjoyed the sight of the fuzzy alpacas. My guide around the alpaca farm did a very good job. There are 70 cute alpacas, and their one rescue llama, Sadrina. All of the places my guide (Elisabeth) took us was so much fun. We got to feed them and we got to walk the alpacas, to a little field in the back. Elisabeth taught us all their names, explained how they are fed, bred, and live. You can pick the alpaca you want to halter walk. It's just a fun time all around, for people of all ages. And at the end of the little tour you can go in to the gift shop in the back. Most of the stuff in the gift shop are made with alpaca fur. Me and my family had the best time ever. I highly recommend the alpaca farm to anyone!

2  Thank Efb68

Reviewed 9 August 2014

Today we visited Island Alpaca on Martha’s Vineyard. We have been coming to the island for over 13 years and have never even gone to the farm. My 9 year old and 12 year old girls wanted to participate in the Discovery Program. We visited the farm to sign up. The program started at 9:30am and ended around 11:30am. The experience was one we will never forget. You could also just visit the farm for a minimal $5 charge which goes straight to the farm upkeep and animals, but this was not enough for us. We wanted to get up close and personal.

Ashleigh our farm guide was amazing! She was knowledgeable and patient. She was able to answer all of our questions and we learned so much. The love the workers feel for these gentle creatures is apparent in everything that they do. My girls got to feed the alpacas. They were right in the barns and with the animals for the entire experience. You could not stretch out your arm without touching soft and fluffy fleece. We were each kissed by wooly, adorable muzzles as they came in to take a closer look at us and in turn we gave them many hugs. This affection brought on many giggles and smiles from all of us.

I took pictures the whole time and Ashleigh took a family shot when we each got to take a leashed alpaca for a walk! This was a highlight because they loved to rub up against trees and roll over in the grass.

I could not imagine a better experience. Would not change a thing. This will become an annual event for our summer vacation on Martha’s Vineyard. Can’t wait to do it again.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

We enjoyed our visit to Island Alpaca. The staff was knowledgeable and it was clear they truly care about the animals. We enjoyed being up close with the animals. There are not a lot of activities at this farm…you pretty much watch the animals and interact with the staff, but it's a fun and inexpensive excursion away from the crowds.
There is a store where you can buy items made from alpaca fur. It is very soft to the touch, but quite expensive.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

We traveled to Island Alpaca, a favorite destination for us on our annual vacation to Martha's Vineyard, to sign my seven year old up for the Alpaca Jr. Discovery Program. This was hailed during the prior day's visit as a program for children to get involved in hands-on activities such as barn chores, feeding, halter training, and close up working with the resident alpacas. My seven year old was present as I signed up, in person, paid $25 and signed all the paperwork requested. My form stated my child's age as seven and I was actually even assured that the program could supervise my seven year old if I did not choose to accompany her at an additional fee. I decided to have her go alone as the staffer made supervision and safety appear to be a priority. However, the next day, I was called multiple times by the owner who informed me that an adult must accompany my child due to her age. I was on a remote beach with no reception when all the messages came in. I called back and was told that I must nowpay an additional $20 for the program in order to accompany her. I stated that I was not willing to pay $45 for my child to have an hour or two with the alpacas (that we had just paid an entrance fee to see the day prior) but that I remained willing to pay the $25 that I already paid. for my child's attendance. The owner then said did I want to cancel, to which I said, "no I don't want to, but you seem to be leaving me no choice, as I am not willing to pay $45 for a program that you originally charged me $25 for my child to attend." The owner at no point offered my attendance be made complimentary due to what may have been an honest mistake in not requiring my attendance at sign up. For this reason, I do not believe Island Alpaca made an honest mistake, but rather used this as an opportunity to require another $20 per child once the child was already looking forward to the experience. This left me with a bad impression of this program and Island Alpaca. As a consumer, I don't appreciate being charged one price only to be hounded the next day to pay almost double for the same program or else disappoint my seven year old. Yuck.

2  Thank BostonTraveler40
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Animal lovers beware.... this may make you want an alpaca as a pet! Our family of 8 (including 2 seniors) just loved this adventure. We signed up for the morning Discovery Class at the Alpaca Company, a working farm, housing upwards of 70 alpacas. With the guidance of Ashley, a supremely mature, knowledgeable and dedicated animal care taker, we met the "boys and girls", fed them, and eventually were able to walk them like giant dogs in a parade! Ashley knew all their names and personalities, hugged them like they were puppies and shared a wealth of information with us about these gentle creatures. The animals are obviously very well cared for, and we learned that walking some of the "little boys" is actually beneficial to them as several are show quality and must learn to tolerate humans and handling. Their wool is used to create some of the materials in the gift shop, and for folks who don't want to do the discovery class a viewing area is available for a small fee. Check it out!