“Up and Down”

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Richmond, Virginia
“Up and Down”
Reviewed 25 July 2013

We were with friends and just dropped in for drinks and a little food. My prosecco and peach cocktail was good. The beer selection is excellent. My chowder was rich and clammy.The place is attractive. On the other hand my huband's whiskey sour was awful and when he sent it back it was still awful. A friends crab and corn fritters were OK but not great. Another friends lobster bisque was lukewarm. The service was distracted and the restaurant was not crowded. One experience with mixed results and it had been recommended by a local, so maybe we were just unlucky.

Woodmere, New York
“My new favorite”
Reviewed 21 July 2013

we travel to Oak Bluffs every year and we were upset to hear Jimmy Seas closed,,
Someone recommended Hooked and we re happy we went. Amazing food .. Excellent chef .. I actually wanted to meet him but he wasn't there :)
Atmosphere is perfect and beautiful , loved having a drink in the back listening to a dj under an open sky. Love the beautiful fence in the back as well.
My new favorite for sure ... Can't wait until next year

Visited July 2013
Edgartown, MA
“Kid Friendly and Good”
Reviewed 11 July 2013

We are lucky enough to live on the Vineyard. Last week on a day off, we decided to try and have a family dinner out. We ate at Hooked July 9, with a party of 8, including 4 kids. I called early that day for a reservation and left a message as instructed. I received a call back to confirm the reservation. When we arrived we were greeted by a friendly hostess who seated us promptly in a big, roomy boothlike table. We were greeted promptly by our server, who was friendly, attentive, and efficient throughout our meal. We had apps of fresh shucked oysters, a tuna tartare special, lobster tacos, and chowder and bisque. I personally didn't try the soups, but the oysters were cold (always a good sign) although they could have been shucked a bit better....some small bits of shell. Tacos were awesome, and shared around the table to good reviews by all. The tuna app was delicious, served in chunks in a martini glass with seaweed salad. I had the swordfish etoufee...I am kind of a harsh critic of swordfish as it is frequently overcooked. This was cooked perfectly and I enjoyed each and every bite. My daughter had Lobster Mac and Cheese and she enjoyed it so much, she had the leftovers for lunch the next day. Others at the table had Shrimp and Grits...these arrived at the table lukewarm...a bummer since the flavor was pretty good. The younger kids had burgers and chicken tenders off a kids menu, which thankfully we had asked for since it was not offered to us as we were seated. This is a lovely room with a very beachy feel to it. There are lawn games outside which the kids could use while waiting for their meals; a terrific idea which enabled adults to relax too! We finished the meal with a strawberry shortcake which was yummy; old fashioned shortcake with fresh berries and whipped cream.

Visited July 2013
Edgartown, Massachusetts
“Food A, Service C, Bathrooms, F”
Reviewed 9 July 2013

I have dined here many times and I'm not sure if I will go back. Their food is very good, especially the fried chicken, a hold over from when it was Lola's. The problem has always been the service. I had made a reservation for three and we were seated at a very cramped table meant for two. Asking for another table fell on deaf ears, part of the problem being that many of the waitstaff do not speak English as their first language. Service for everything was very slow, even drinks taking 20 minutes. I also did not like the gauntlet of artwork and artists as we entered. Pretty heavy sales pressure. Wrong place, wrong time. The topper of the evening was the bathrooms, don't read if squeamish.. They had not been cleaned recently as there were feces stuck on one toilet, and no paper in the other. It was nasty. Totally unacceptable in a restaurant of this level! I did inform the hostess on our way out. Hope they fixed the problem!

Rhode Island
“What is the deal with attempted sales maneuvers of paintings and jewelry on the way in?”
Reviewed 6 July 2013

We went here based on good reviews for a special evening out with friends. The six of us felt less than welcomed. I was served a martini in a warm glass (what bartender doesn't chill the glass first?). I pointed this out and was told oh, they must have forgot. The place was not full or even that busy on a very crowded weekday at mv. Someone asked for a different vegetable which was being served with another dish and was told it was way too busy for the kitchen to be making substitutions. Well done fries? Soggy and cold. Steak? Cold and overdone. Great fish tacos. Odd place, weird atmosphere, food inconsistent. Too bad this expensive meal was our big night out. Lovely outdoor tables all left empty!

1 Thank JulietRhodeIsland