“Waste of time, awful!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Sand Bar & Grille

Sand Bar & Grille
Ranked #30 of 52 Restaurants in Oak Bluffs
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, View, Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Drinks, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Newburyport, Massachusetts
“Waste of time, awful!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

We were just here Saturday 9/14/13 and below is my experience of the Sand Bar & Grill.

I can’t really attest to the food or let alone a glass of water at this establishment as we never made it that far, or ever rcv’d the service.

My husband and I were visiting MV for our first anniversary and found ourselves in Oak Bluffs looking for a casual place to grab lunch and have a pleasant time. We thought the Sand Bar initially fit the bill, until we sat down. No one ever came over to help seat us rather we were yelled at to “go find a seat.” We found out way in back to the “sand” area and sat at a high top table. I should have known when we sat down it wasn’t go to be a good experience. There was a couple sitting behind us who had been waiting over 20 mns with no server, even after overhearing they had advised staff members they were still waiting. There was a family next to us who had spent over $30 and as advertised you should have rcv’d a free t shirt. When the gentleman advised a server who came by (eventually the person to be our server) she coifed that it was too late and that they had “already paid” and they needed to speak to the general manager. Is that how you speak to a paying customer??!!

After another 10 mns passed they still had no server, got up and left. We waited another 5 (15 in total) until a server came over to us and I thought had said “can I take your drink order” where I replied “yes a water please.” She then barked back she was “TAKING” the order she wanted to know if someone had. She walks away, another 10 mns go by (25mns in total) where she huffs back over saying she “guesses she has to take our table today and this isn’t ideal for her.” When we put in our drink order my husband asks for an ice tea and she replies they don’t have it and that the whole “sand bar has been taken to literally” and proceeds to tell us all the types of drinks they DON’T offer. Then as quickly as she made snarky comments to us she was gone.

10 more mns go by, other people are seated, she goes to them, takes their orders, brings them their alcoholic drinks but we are still waiting on a water and diet coke. She eventually makes her way back to us where she asks if we’ve seen her drink runner. How are we supposed to know who that is?! She seemed to be serving everyone their alcoholic drinks around us. Are we not good enough because we are simply choosing not to drink at 2:30pm in the afternoon on a Saturday.

At this rate it has been over a half hour and still not so much as a glass of water has been brought to our table, however our waitress had no problem serving us with a bad attitude, rude and snarky comments and an overall bad experience. When you are visiting a place for only a weekend you don’t want to be wasting your time (let alone on your first wedding anniversary) at an establishment with rude people and poor service-life’s too short. After dealing with her attitude for the last time my husband and I got up, let the hostess know of our situation and left.

I am sure that hostess couldn’t have cared less as she did nothing to rectify the situation and just let us walk. We will never go back to the Sand Bar & Grill and we will be sure to tell all those we know who travel to the Vineyard to be aware of how we were treated by the rude server with her hair in the double braids. Sand Bar should teach her the rules of being polite and courteous to paying customers.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Aimee R

Southfield
“Great Sushi Menu”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

I was pleasantly surprised by the Sushi Menu here at the Sand Bar & Grille. There's a great deal to choose from. The outdoor space is literally on the sand. The Slider Trio which features the Crab Cake topped with kale & Napa slaw,Carolina pulled pork and Lobster roll sliders was perfdect for a quick bite. The servce was quick and our server was pleasant. On a Saturday night it's quite busy and a little loud but after all it is a bar. It's a great place to people watch.

Plymouth, Massachusetts
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“quiet and nice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

My husband and I hung out here for a couple of "day breaks" away from the kids. You can look out onto the busy street and see passersby while you sip endless Whale Tales brew! Not crowded, just perfect

Visited August 2013
New Bedford, Massachusetts
“Quite possibly the worst service I've ever had”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013 via mobile

The sand bar is one of my favorite bars located on oak bluffs harbor...it has a big outdoor bar as well as a spacious area with tables so if u don't want the crammed bar experience u can kind of move away from the
crowd. The food is decent...love the sushi and the service is always as fast as it can be( I know it gets busy and they do there best) and it's always friendly with the exception of last night

I went to grab drinks with friends when I got out of work around 10 last night (I'm also a bartender)...this was aug 21st, a wed. I approached the out door bar to get a drink and there was 1 bartender on...the bar was lively but definatly not busy...for a bartender who can hustle the crowd was quite manageable...I waited for about 10 min with no acknowledgment when I decided to get a drink inside and just bring it out..I approached the inside bar and saw 2 couples sit down as well as my friend and I and there was no bartender behind the bar...we waited a couple more minutes and I asked the door man where the bartender was to which he replied "she running back and forth from inside to out to help the bartender outside" which is the silliest thing I've ever heard when I'm looking at thirsty patrons waiting for a drink that they couldn't get outside due to the bartenders sloth like pace and she just wasn't there.

So now I'm about 20 minutes into my visit at sand bar still drink less...we went back out side and again watched the rude bartender shake people's hands (his friends I assume) and wait on people who clearly approached the bar after us and all this time of standing there about a foot away from the bartender there was no acknowledgment of our presence...not a hello, be right with you, nothing!!

After another 10 minutes we finally got our drinks...so it took me a solid half hour, in a bar that had open bar seats, open tables and 2 bars to get a coors light bottle....after that we went right back to being invisible so we got the tab which took another 15 minutes of waiting at the bar...the guy behind the bar was rude, unattentive, slow and had an overwhelming attitude that almost made me feel like I was annoying him bc I needed a drink.

Although I love sand bar and usually have a good time I won't be returning. I won't take the chance of ever encountering that bartender again and to be clear it was the male bartender on the outside bar on wed aug 21...I'm an easy going and patient customer bc I also bartend for a living so i understand when a bartender is busy and I always tip 30% and bc of that I kno I don't deserve to walk into bar where I'm spending my hard earned money and be treated like an annoyance!

I'll stick with nancys from now on when I want cocktails on the harbor!!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Like a beach party, good food, attentive staff”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2013

We stopped here for lunch while passing through Martha's Vineyard. After having two disappointing meals at well rated places on Woods Hole, I was expecting much. But we were pleasantly surprised by the delicious clam chowder and crab cakes. Try the Mediterranean wrap for a tasty fresh vegetarian sandwich of hummus, cucumber, avocado, and roasted peppers, served with drenched greek olives. There was a pub crawl going on while we were there, and while they were "energetic", they were not disruptive at all, and quite entertaining. they were all dressed up like TV commerical characters: - the Orbitz lady, eTrade baby, Snap, Crackle and Pop!