“Lolas is Back and better then Ever !!”
Review of Lola's

Lola's
Ranked #24 of 52 Restaurants in Oak Bluffs
Cuisines: Seafood, Fusion
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Miami Beach, Florida
“Lolas is Back and better then Ever !!”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I was very excited to hear Lola's returned for there 20th year , we have long awaited the return of the Famous Southern Food on the Island . Lola and Paul have really made some outstanding memories for me and my family over the years but I must say this year they have really out done themselves . I was greeted with that Big warm smile from Lola that makes your stomach warm up from the moment you walk in the door . She informed us she Finally found a great chef to continue to grow the cuisine while remaining true to the beloved Lola classics . The new menu looked awesome and we all had many amazing choices to chose from . We started out with the Bang /Bang Shrimp , Lolas Famous to die for Duck gumbo , and the Tarte flambé all of which were outstanding .. the shrimp were heaven sent from some culinary wizard ,we had to order another to share . Entrée selection was just as amazing , we decided on the stuffed lobster , which was insane , the whole crispy Black Sea Bass and the pork embracing pork with fireball apple cider Whiskey Sauce ... it was all unbelievable to say the least . Our server Andre was really helpful and did an outstanding job , he recommended we try the Graceland dessert ..what is this .. he just said ..trust me .. if you like peanut butter bananas and fried waffles you going to be hanging with Elvis in heaven ... two deep fried waffles smothered with peanut butter and bananas topped with ice cream and Carmel sauce and white chocolate chips .. yes its was heaven . It is obvious Kathy ( lola ) and Paul continue to keep the love flowing .. Thanks for all the great memories cant wait to return .. Keep up the great work !!

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank wadedogs

“Love Lola's”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

My family and I have been in the Vineyard for a month and visited many restaurants but Lola's the restaurant we keep coming back to. One of my many favorite dishes is the bang bang shrimp. Chad, the new chef from Miami creates his own homemade special sauces that are delectable. Chad's homemade pasta's are outstanding such as the tortellini infused with pear and ricotta, so yummy and the ravioli stuffed with lobster is mouth watering. The grilled Cesar with white anchovies is so tasty. The stuffed lobster is one of a kind with Chad's special sauce. The menu is filled with many more fabulous dishes. Bartenders, Tiffany and Mark are always enthusiastic about creating new alcoholic beverages. I love to end the evening at Lola's R bar with dancing or just watching the bands perform. Lola's is the best place to eat on the island.

1 Thank Nan12345
Miami, Florida
“Best Food on the Island”
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

Lola is Back ! After enduring this restaurant a couple of years as Hooked my family and I were excited to try this Vinyard tradition again as Lola has taken back the helm of her restaurant . Lola's new menu is outstanding . We noticed patrons taking pictures of the food they ordered all night and the taste was even better than the presentation . Our appetizers were
Bang Bang shrimp, Grilled Ceasar Salad , Grilled Calamari and the Tart Flambé . Each appetizer was better than the next as we shared them amongst the group. Our entrees were whole fried Black Bass with the fish moist and cooked to perfection, Scallops in a secret
sauce , Pear infused Ricotta Tortellini and Grilled swordfish topped with lobster . They were all delicious and the best prepared seafood as a whole we have had on the island or anywhere in a long long time ! With a couple of bottles PacoLola white wine the
evening was complete. We all shared a piece of Key Lime pie the best I have had this far from Key West , Florida ! Enjoy Dinner at Lola's .... We certainly did !

2 Thank Namaste5
Stamford, Connecticut
“So excited that Lola's is back.”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

After being a way for a few years, Lola's is back. We went for Sunday brunch over memorial day weekend. Our party was on the large size - 6 adults, 2 kids and a toddler, and we all enjoyed the food. I'm still dreaming about the waffles. They were as if a funnel cake and a waffle had a baby. Also old favorites such as Mussels a la Lola are back.

This is a great option if you're looking for a change of pace from typical New England friend seafood.

2 Thank njoy
Salem MA
“Brunch At Lola's Did A Lulu”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

While we have been vacationing in Martha's Vineyard for about 9 years straight, we had never been to Lola's, a southern flavored restaurant near Oak Bluffs. Lola herself had retired from the restaurant and sold it to someone else and it became Hook's, a restaurant that didn't do so well. The space became available again and Lola decided to take it back over.

She hired a couple of young chefs, and according to her, she told them the concept of what she was looking for -- southern soul food using locally sourced ingredients when possible. The rest she left to the chefs' imagination.

We went with another couple who had previously been to the restaurant under her previous leadership and really loved the experience. They had been to Lola's both for dinner as well as for its Sunday brunch. We were looking forward to trying it. Our friends made reservations for the Sunday brunch. This was the third Sunday brunch of the month for the new chefs.

The idea of southern soul food on the Vineyard is quite enticing, as you'll find many of the restaurants on the island serving up a variation of the same thing. Menus from restaurant to restaurant are often quite similar. Not a whole lot "outside the box". Lola's would be theoretically a breath of fresh air.

The brunch experience, unfortunately, turned out to be so disappointing, even for our friends. The food as well as the service was subpar. While there were a few items that were very good, including several shellfish dishes, many items were quite poor. For example, the fried chicken had consistently soggy batter and was a bit undercooked as well. Even a fresh batch just out of the kitchen exhibited this.

One of the good dishes was cheese cubes and sausage fried on a skewer. This was a dish I would have liked a second on, so I was looking forward to it on my second trip to the buffet. But looking in the tray, there were no skewers. Instead, the tray was cheese cubes dumped on the bottom of the entire tray, and sausage pieces poured on top of them. The cheese, from the heat source below, merely sweated oil onto the bottom of the tray so the cheese was sitting in it. When I returned a third time to the buffet line a few minutes later, the entire tray had been removed. Perhaps someone saw the presentation and deemed it unacceptable. But how does the fried chicken as well as the cheese and sausage dump come out of the kitchen?

There was a pretty tasty mac and cheese dish with a layer of ricotta in the middle, but the mac and cheese was lukewarm and the ricotta cheese cold.

There was a "fresh" fruit salad with an array of berries and some sliced peaches. While the peaches were clearly not from a can, they WERE frozen! I pointed this out to Lola and she was aghast that I said this. She replied defensively that they do NOT USE FROZEN PEACHES. I didn't mean to imply that they came from a tub or plastic bag frozen, but somehow they had turned to ice. They were solid with ice crystals. Everyone at the table corroborated.

There were two types of fruit cobbler. Both of them were mealy and doughy, tasting undercooked. They had the consistency of soggy paper pulp.

Brownies were so dry and hard, they could have broken a plate if you had hit a plate hard enough with them. I'm exaggerating, of course, but one of the couple who had been to the restaurant previously literally hit the plate with the brownie and the sound was like hitting the plate with a small gavel.

Service? Well, let's start with coffee service. Once we were served initially, we didn't see anyone again for quite a while. Finally, I stopped a waitress who wasn't our's and asked her if she could get us coffee refills. She came by a couple of minutes later, quickly filled my cup and sped away. The other three at our table were left without refills. Eventually we were able to get refills for the others.

Soon after we started to eat our first round from the buffet, we had gotten an extra plate to put the empty shellfish shells. An eager busboy started relieving our table of plates while asking us he could do so. We explained that we were still working on our food and we were using the extra plate to put the used shells. I'm not sure we ever saw him again. Our table starting accumulating dishes from our trips to the buffet.

Lola herself was cruising the room at one point, handing out sweet rolls (which were decent but not outstanding). She came to our table and passed out a sweet roll to my wife and I, then must have gotten distracted and left the table without giving a sweet roll to either of the other couple.

The whole thing was just so underwhelming.

To add a bit of insult to injury, while we were charged $25/person for the brunch, there was an extra charge for coffee, $3/person. I have never been to a buffet brunch and been charged separate for coffee. I have occasionally been to a brunch which included a bloody mary or mimosa, but coffee or tea are always included.

This was such a miss. Two young chefs? This was a bit like The Three Stooges. I'm not sure I could come back again without an invitation to come back and try it for free.

2 Thank AnalogJ