“Nice stay”

Ranked #2 of 2 Orange B&B and Inns
mass
“Nice stay”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights while attending UMASS graduation. The rooms were clean, had a refirgerator and were spacious. It is not a fancy 5 star hotel but certainly served our needs. The other hotels in the area were overpriced due to graduation and we needed to get 2 rooms. It is located right off Rt 2.

Room Tip: we stayed in the back of the motel
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank podymass

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Whitby, Canada
Reviewed 21 August 2013

I stayed at this place after a very long drive and just needed a place to crash.
This place was not that bad. The bed was clean and comfortable, the amenities very basic, bathroom was ok, and that's all I really needed. For $60 it was a fair - I've stayed at big chain motels that were double the price, and much dirtier.
Don't stay here if you are expecting anything special or plan to do more than just sleep in the room.
There was supposed to be breakfast in the morning, but nothing was there.
I'd give the motel a rating of 2.5 if I could.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank dom_d_man
nc
Reviewed 13 August 2013

This is the most disgusting place i have ever staying in my life. I should have slept in my car. glad i brought a sleeping bag. the room was disgusting. There aren't many choices in this area but i would never stay here again. This place should be condemned.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank honestNc

Travellers are raving about these Orange hotels

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Where should I begin?

Let's start from the beginning. This is one of two motels in Orange, MA with the closest hotel being 30 minutes away. That makes ones choices limited. As I went to check-in, the Manager (probably the owner) spent 5 minutes repeatedly pointing out that I had not indicated if I wanted a smoking or non-smoking room. I'm pretty sure the Priceline form didn't ask me this or I would have chosen non-smoking. Finally, I asked if there were no non-smoking rooms available to which he replied that there were. Then why the hell does it matter if I indicated this or not? It is completely irrelevant considering that there were like 4 guests checked in. He just wanted to make a pointless point by pointing out that I didn't select a smoking preference. It was crazy.

Then, I went into my room and saw that there was no refrigerator. The only reason I chose this motel is because it stated that there was a refrigerator in every room. I went back to the front desk and asked if he could put a refrigerator in there and he told me to use the one in the lobby. I stated that I called and was told there were refrigerators in each room and that I needed one. He looked up another room, pulled the keys and threw them at me and told me I could move into the other room. So now he was hostile.

I moved into the room two doors down and as I did, the Manager came out to watch me. Then, he instructed me to move my car down two spaces so that others could park in front of their rooms. Did I really need to move my car when only 4 people were checked in? He was crazy.

The new room had hair all over the shower, which I just cleaned up on my own. It smelled like smoke and mustiness. There was a spider on the inside of the door. The towels were super cheap and hard. The toiletries looked like they were from a gas station bathroom. And there wasn't sufficient light in the room.

When I went into the hallway the next morning, it smelled strongly of smoke. It was disgusting. Then, when my towels were replaced, there was a cluster of black hairs left on top of them. It was disgusting.

I should mention that he took the full payment for all 4 nights up front. After two nights, I was involved in an accident and was admitted to the hospital. My friends checked me out and inquired as to how I could receive a refund and he told them to contact the booking company. When Priceline's partner Booking.com contacted them, they lied and said that I had not checked out early. What a sick [--]. I end up in the hospital and he lies to keep my money. I finally resorted to going to my credit card company who issued a refund to me regardless of what he said. The manager is the biggest selfish [--] I have ever met and I would rather sleep in my car than stay at this motel again. A better option is the Travel Inn.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Angela P
near boston
Reviewed 13 July 2013

I booked through Priceline. After reading the reviews, I was torn on whether or not to stay here. Figured because it was AAA accredited, it wouldn't be too bad. I stayed one night in a smoking room for a fishing trip. Do not waste your money. The hotel was totally outdated and the room was disgusting. Thank god my wife and 3 year old son stood home. The room wasn't clean and there were cobbwebs on the ceiling. The comforter smelled and looked like it hadn't been washed in years. The room smelled awful. We tried to open the windows, but they were all jammed shut. The bathroom was gross. The towels were made for a midget. They were the size of hand towels. I asked for a wakeup call early Saturday morning to rent a fishing boat and never got one. Thank god for my cell. Anyway, I would never ever recommend this place to anyone. I have no idea where the positive ratings came from. Horrible and not worth the money!!!! Do yourself a favor and stay outside Orange, MA.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank willyfisherman
Denver
Reviewed 8 July 2013

What's your definition of clean? The bedroom carpet and bathroom tile were picked up and clean. Sheets were clean. No dust on eye-level and below areas. Is that all you need for $80?
The top of the bathroom light had a 1/16" layer of dirt and grease. The areas above an easy haven't seen a duster in months or years.

In addition, there's a lot of deferred maintenance: the bathroom door had many split and peeled-up strips at the bottom and had simply been painted over. Sloppy over-paint marks in the bathroom, wall paper was dog-eared at several seams.

As noted in other reviews, there are not many options nearby. I stayed 2 nights. After the first night I thought leaving a $10 dollar bill and a note to clean a little more in depth might help. Nope. All the same dust and grease in all the same places. The place will do in a pinch, but you'll feel like you're in a poor Motel 6.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank momdadkiddog
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 22 August 2012

I am compelled here to sign up to offer my experience, because right now I am kicking myself. Why? While I have been traveling to the Athol/Orange area for just over a year now I have not had to stay overnight until recently. Knowing there are only 2 motels in the immediate vicinity to where I am working I went online to check out the website reviews offered. I appreciate others who take time to write reviews as they do help. While I could never dispute another persons experience, I can offer mine. I recently stayed at the Executive Inn as well as the motel a few 100 yds away and other than location and minor price difference there is no comparing the two. For me, the difference was night and day and I am fortunate the motel down the road was booked on my return trip as I would have just stayed there again because it was, well - familiar. (I’m a creature of habit.) I have been stuck on the road traveling throughout New England for the past year now and I think it is unreasonable to compare either motel to those further away but I will say that I have stayed at more expensive hotels and motels (chains and otherwise) with worn out bed springs (painful), no toiletries, inconsistent internet access, and dirty. But that was not my experience here. True, no shampoo and skin creme, and glad I travel with my own. However my room was spotless (as was the whole place from what I could see in the public areas), the shower was huge, the management was extremely pleasant and struck a great balance by respecting my time and privacy while ensuring I had everything I needed. And not once did I ever experience any internet problems (unlike down the road) and my room was further away from another poster here. (There are two locked wifi addresses for guest - maybe the 2nd is recent?) So ... I felt it was important that I add my two cents here for anyone else who needs to be in the area who wants a clean (incredibly so compared to some I have stayed this past year) decent, safe place to stay near where they need to be. Added treat for me was the view out back of the parachuters ... so close! Last, if you need to be in Orange/Athol, I highly recommend this place and won’t think twice next time about staying here myself or bringing my family.
Forgot to add - I too noticed the hall lights out but only after 10a - but was blown away to find they had all the doors open to the rooms (which have 2 doors, 1 inside, 1 outside), allowing fresh air to pass through - nice! Thus the hallway was bright and fresh and the light were back on at night I didn’t care. Alternatively I was impressed with the concern towards unnecessary energy usage (and costs). I wish a few other places would do this if they have the ability.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank dana52_12
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orange
Hampton Inn & Suites Greenfield
#1 of 1 in Orange
Super 8 Gardner
Super 8 Gardner
#2 of 2 in Gardner

Been to Executive Inn? Share your experiences!