“Great Concert”

Church of the Transfiguration
Ranked #8 of 45 things to do in Orleans
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: The Church of the Transfiguration is the center of Community of Jesus - an ecumenical Benedictine monastic community located at Rock Harbor on the shores of Cape Cod Bay. The Community follows a daily rhythm of prayer including Eucharist and Liturgy of the Hours (sung in Gregorian chant). Constructed of Minnesota limestone, and designed by William Rawn Associates of Boston, the Church of the Transfiguration is a contemporary expression of an ancient 4th century style of architecture, and recounts the story of salvation through mosaic and fresco images, bronze, glass, and stone sculpture. The organ is a restoration and expansion of pipework from twelve organs built by the E.M. Skinner Organ Company in the early 20th century. Sunday Eucharist -- 10:00 Weekday Vespers -- 5:30pm Saturday Choral Evensong or Vespers -- 5:15pm TOURS -- Monday - Saturday at 3:00pm Organ demonstrations -- Fridays at 3:30pm Priory Books & Gifts -- Monday - Saturday 10am - 6pm(Wednesdays the Church is closed)
Reviewed 4 August 2014

The organ concerts are not to be missed. They also have plays in the courtyard in the summer.
The church is stunning and the acoustics are as well.

1  Thank oldfarm

Reviewed 3 July 2014

I have never been to a place where the community was so into caring for people. They are very friendly and not in the scary church way that you get from other places. The sanctuary is very beautiful as is most of the grounds.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Looking for something to do that was a little different, I came across this on TA. We made online reservations for one of the scheduled tours. The starting place for the tour was the gift shop. When we arrived, about ten minutes before the starting time, there were four other people already waiting. We waited a few more minutes in case others might show up for the tour. I guess making a reservation is not necessary.
The tour took a little less than an hour, beginning in the open area in front of the church entrance and ending within the church. Our guide was a pleasant member of the church’s community and was very knowledgeable about the history and other aspects of the church. She thoroughly answered the many questions asked by our group. At the end of the tour, we were allowed to remain in the church for a short while taking photos.
On some other occasion I would be interested to attend one of the special services.
One interesting aside: we were staying in a neighboring town so the directions on the website didn’t quite fit. I decided to use Google maps to get directions. When I entered the address given on the church’s website, 5 Bay View Drive, Orleans, Google returned directions to the same street but in the town of Eastham. I then tried AAA trip-tick and got the same results. However, our GPS had no problem. If your starting point fits the website description, the directions are fine.

I would recommend a church tour to anyone who is looking for something a little different on Cape Cod.

2  Thank rufus63
CommofJesus, Public Relations Manager at Church of the Transfiguration, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2015

Thank you for your thoughtful comments. We do sometimes have trouble with the directions on different websites because there are Bay View Drives in several of the nearby towns, but so glad you found us!

Reviewed 26 September 2013

I was given a one-on-one tour by one of the sisters of the church. She was delightful, and provided a wealth of information. The church is absolutely stunning - not like any other church I've seen. The church was 10 years in the planning, and the end result clearly shows that effort. The art work is beautiful. From the brass front doors depicting Adam and Eve and the Tree of Life to the myriad mosaics and numerous frescoes in the interior, it is a feast for the eyes. They have a bell tower that contains 10 bells. I wish I had been able to attend a service, but the timing didn't work out. They sing Gregorian chant which I would have liked to have heard. I highly recommend taking one of their tours if you find yourself on the Cape.

3  Thank krollrae

Thank you for the great review! If you find yourself on Cape Cod this summer, please feel welcome to join us for a chant service. You can visit our website or call to confirm the service times for the day, but there is almost always Vespers at 5:30.

Reviewed 13 August 2013 via mobile

Great find that we only came across via trip advisor recs! Thanks to y'all for that.

Mosaics, frescoes, bronze works. All amazing. Def come for a tour and its right by the beach so u can get some great sunset shots too!

And they sell items made on the premises like jams, mustards and granola too. Kinda neat.

2  Thank travelgirlnyc25