“Exceptional and memorable dining experience”

Captain Linnell House
Ranked #1 of 57 Restaurants in Orleans
Price range: US$23 - US$32
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: As one of Cape Cod's most distinguished fine dining restaurants, the Captain Linnell House offers a series of intimate and romantic dining rooms in a former sea captain's home. A favorite among Cape Cod's wedding reception and rehearsal dinner venues, The Captain Linnell House is located in Orleans, MA around the corner from Skaket Beach, a picturesque setting for a Cape Cod beach wedding ceremony. This chef owned restaurant is celebrating it's 29th season. The Captain Linnell House offers expertly prepared classic fare - from appetizers of iced Wellfleet oysters on the half shell, to escargots and baby kale salad, to entrees of rack of lamb, grilled salmon, roast duckling, scrod n' parchment, and veal Milanese. A Prix Fixe Menu is offered from Mid-September to end of June. Enjoy three course dining of entrees such as Atlantic swordfish, Black Angus prime rib, roast duckling.
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We have been dining here during our vacations for many years. Last night's was but the latest in an unbroken string of virtually flawless meals. The food is well prepared, well presented, well served and, well, terrific. The portions are ample (we always bring some home) and the menu selections offer something for everyone. The ambience, with white linens, fine china, and crystal add that much more to the experience. The very reasonable prices make it even better. The owners, Bill and Shelly Conway, are wonderful hosts who have made The Captain Linnell House one of our top favorite restaurants from around the world to dine in. Keep up the great work, Bill & Shelly!

1  Thank tasmlusci

Reviewed 25 July 2014

My husband and I went to dinner here last week based on the fabulous reviews. While the food was solid, it was nothing special. Our meals tasted and looked like "wedding food" or "country club food"--so I wasn't surprised to learn that many people get married at this restaurant. What I mean by that is, both meals (different entrees) came with a main course, a side of broccoli (rubbery and hard to cut), side of mashed potatoes (actually the best thing we ate), and side of some type of carrot-sweet potato mashed thing--all placed separately on the plate. My panko-crusted sole with crab meat was oily and more breading than fish; some bites of the crab were cold. My husband's scrod in parchment was bland, with the same crabmeat on top as my entree. My appetizer salad was completely basic and plain, although my husband's clam chowder was tasty. While the gardens on the grounds were beautiful and the service was excellent, the prices of the food were unjustified for the quality of food. It seems like most people who love this restaurant have eaten here for years, or ate here years ago, and love it for the nostalgia. On the night we went, a Saturday night in July, most guests were over age 65, if not 75, and finished their meals around 7:30, after which the restaurant, which is large, was pretty empty. It's a shame, but there are many better places to eat in Cape Cod.

1  Thank Rebecca G
Reviewed 20 July 2014

This was a pretty place. The dining room had a lovely view of the garden. Vegan options are available, much to my surprise. The food was good but nothing special.

1  Thank Richard B
Reviewed 16 July 2014

My wife and I had an excellent evening pre-celebrating our 40th. The meals were excellent as were the martinis. A romantic atmosphere with a view of the garden and birds feeding. My pearl salad (tomatos, basil and mozzarella) was excellent. Our meals ( scallops and rack of lamb) were out of this world. The waiter was great. We had a cream de minth sundae which was fantastic. We would recommend this great place.

2  Thank Norman R
Reviewed 15 July 2014

My husband and I had our wedding dinner here 4 years ago and we decided to come back for our 4th anniversary. (Just as an aside - they did a FANTASTIC job with that wedding dinner!) So, for this trip, we wanted a romantic setting and wonderful food - both of which we got here. I had the pappardelle with veal bolognese which was fabulous but a GIGANTIC portion enough for 3 people! My husband had the house salad and farfalle with shrimp, lobster and mussels in a cream sauce. Absolutely to die for!!! BIG chunks of sweet lobster and big shrimp. We ended with the Grasshopper - a creme de menthe parfait. The prices are very reasonable for the portion sizes, and we enjoyed looking at the other dishes going by. HUGE portions. The service was impeccable and the view of the garden with birds and chipmunks was delightful. Definitely a place to bring your beloved for a romantic evening. Captain Linnell doesn't disappoint. We look forward to our next visit!!

2  Thank WillowMoon