“Creative and unique”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
York, ME.
“Creative and unique”
Reviewed 22 August 2014

My spouse & I finally scored a reservation at Abba during our recent vacation on the Cape. We'd heard raves about the food.and unique it was; for seafood as far removed from the fried places, abba is an excellent choice. The broth of the seafood stew was light, creamy with a hint of coconut, perhaps. And delicately seasoned. My risotto with grilled scallops was very good but the seafood stew earned the stars service was just ok, neither very attentive nor terrible; no description of food was offered.

• Visited August 2014
3 Thank CMHMaine

Brewster, Massachusetts
“Creative and Tasty Food, Refreshing Surprise!”
Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

I'll start by saying this - hands down the most creative and tasty food on the Cape! It was such a relief compared to all the standard fare at the typical dinner spots in this area. Yes, a few bits of decor are a little tired, but in all it is clean and enjoyable. Service was very attentive, and they waited until we all finished before clearing, not always the case on the Cape. I liked being offered an option of seating locations.

Appetizers included the falafel with Israeli salsa which was spot on and a cool refreshing bite to start the night, Israeli salad was a nice portion seasoned. Mains were pork ossobuca with clams which was cooked perfect, tender, blended well with the entire dish, great mix of flavors. My only complaint is it came with only 3 clams with one being an empty shell, 4-5 would have been nice. Grilled tuna was cooked with a perfect sear, the scallop dish was a nice portion, scallops cooked spot on with a wonderful mint flavor to the entire dish. Thai seafood stew all components were cooked well, sometimes with a dish like this some or several items get over cooked, totally not the case here, broth was delicious, a little more rice would have been nice. Desert included a berry sorbet and a chocolate ganache, again spot on flavors the ganache could have been a bit more tight and rich.

The food was fantastic, and for the Cape this is 5 stars due to the creative, different and delicious food. The one big negative of the night was the large wait for our main dishes, the apps were served very quick. This was not exclusive to our table, it was clear everyone else had the same lag. The wine list had a nice selection of quality offerings at decent prices, reds were a bit higher than the whites. All in all a refreshing surprise and I can forgive the faults because of the great food. We'll be back for sure.

Visited August 2014
Greenwich, Connecticut
“Abba presents an interesting menu in a lovely venue.”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

My husband and I have been dining at ABBA for many years. It continues to be one of our
favorites. It is located in a small "Cape" house, but the interior is very pretty with architectural
details, pale peachy pink walls and paintings. There is some banquet style seating with silk
cushions in lush tones which is very attractive and gives the room a comfortable feeling.
There is a bar area with a small amount of seating at the bar. A full dinner can be ordered there.

The chef/ owner creates an eclectic menu which he changes at least seasonally and sometimes more frequently as he wishes. It is predominately sea food, but there are a few meat choices. Good choice of appetizers. Nice wine list and wine by the glass.Their desserts
are not to my taste (thankfully) so we rarely order dessert there. They do however have a
fabulous dessert drink. The "Iced Vanilla Latte" is divine.
I would definitely recommend Abba to those who like something a little more unique.
The service is always very nice. Be sure and make a reservation as this place fills up.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Jane K
Sharon, MA
“Good but Not Great -- and Definitely Not a Value”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We ate here recently for a special occasion and were disappointed with our experience -- neither the food nor the service lived up to the advance hype or to the prices charged.

After sampling a very ordinary bread basket, we shared an Israeli salad that barely had any of the advertised Israeli couscous in it. While our King Salmon entree was very good, the grilled Sea Bass was just so-so (rather bland, actually -- we had a much tastier grilled Sea Bass at another restaurant on this same trip). The highlight of the meal, surprisingly, was a special dessert of sticky rice with coconut ice cream and pineapple -- very inventive and not overly sweet, a nice capstone to the meal.

Given the prices charged (the split salad plus two entrees plus a split glass of wine came to over $100), we would have expected better and more consistent quality throughout the evening. While our meal had its high points, mostly, it felt like we paid a lot for quality that was over-rated and not nearly as good as at other places we dined at on this same trip.

• Visited July 2014
Fairway, Kansas
“Not what we had expected........”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We were referred to this restaurant by the Inn keepers where we were staying. We really appreciated the referral but we were greatly disappointed and probably would not return. You could tell that at one time this place was "flying high", but at this point, the "flame seems to be flickering a bit". When we arrived, we noticed that regardless which door you enter, they both look like your entering some sort of back alley door (low quality and scuffed up) which honestly, gives a less than exciting first impression. Then the hostess told us she had a "few tables" for us "to consider". While I thought that was interesting that we could select, we later found out that one was by the front door, one was by the back door and was in a busy passage area, so I guess it was a draw?

Things could have been salvaged if we had simply had an experienced waiter, however, pretty sure the young man, who was sincerely friendly, had either just started or had no clue on how to be a quality waiter. Other tables were frustrated with his lack of attentiveness as well, so it was not just our imagination and we are fairly easy going. My wife and I both ordered the Scallops and I will give the chef kudos for that entree (quality and presentation), however, in our opinion, it was overpowered with the sage (as I recall) and that blocked a bit of the natural flavors which was disappointing to us, but others may like?

Because of the service (or lack there of), we cut our losses after the dinner entrees and avoided lingering any longer with dessert and coffee, instead....we headed over to the "Chocolate Sparrow" for that! I wish it had been better and I did let our Inn keepers know that.

• Visited July 2014