“Mixed vibes”
Review of Beacon Room

Beacon Room
Ranked #11 of 56 Restaurants in Orleans
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Boston, Massachusetts
“Mixed vibes”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

My boyfriend and I ate at The Beacon Room this past weekend. We were visiting Orleans and knew nothing about any of the restaurants, so we chose this one because of good reviews.

The dining room was very elegant with white linen tablecloths and a cozy atmosphere. When we walked in, it was empty (about 5 pm) and the hostess was chatting with someone across the room. I did not realize it was the hostess because she took her time coming over...I actually thought it was a customer. But she was friendly when she did come and showed us to our table.

We were seated by the bar and this is where the "mixed vibes" of the place come in. The bar was quite boisterous and loud, even though there were only one or two customers there. It seemed to clash with the otherwise classy feeling of the restaurant. Restaurant employees and customers all seemed to be talking and laughing loudly, and it was not easy to have a conversation at our table. Not a very relaxing feeling.

Our waitress came and told us the specials. She went along with the classy vibe of the restaurant...very professional and efficient. My only complaint about her is that she took too much time to come back and take our order....we waited about ten minutes for that. Otherwise she was great. I did actually ask her about moving to the back dining room where it was quieter, and she said she would ask the hostess but there was a large party expected there. So I said never mind, we would stay where we were.

While we were there, the place filled up quickly, both at the bar and the tables. The bar was like Old Home Week....everyone seemed to know each other and all the employees. I can appreciate that kind of friendly rapport, but as I said it did not make for a very quiet or relaxing meal. However, I did get used to it after a bit.

I ordered the scallops with risotto, and it was very good and quite filling. My boyfriend got a chicken dish with an Italian name (can't recall it now) which he also enjoyed. We split the cranberry walnut salad with gorgonzola cheese...delicious...and they even put it on two plates for us. My boyfriend got a BBC beer which he really liked.

I would give the food five stars, service four stars, and atmosphere three and a half because of the noisy bar.

I would definitely eat here again, but would request the back dining room to avoid the bar noise.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank carmela27

Boston, Massachusetts
“Good, reasonably priced”
Reviewed 25 March 2014 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

While I've only been there for lunch, I enjoy both the food and the casual atmosphere at the Beacon Room. They have a nice, reasonably priced selection of appetizers, salads, sandwiches and light entrées. The staff is always friendly and help to make it a reliable "go to" neighborhood spot.

Visited March 2014
Wilmington, NC
“Don't go on a slow night”
Reviewed 13 February 2014 via mobile

Although the food was good , for an expensive meal on a slow night the ambience was awful. Rap music blaring from the kitchen, people setting up for tomorrow's dinner while we were eating. Wouldn't call it upscale from this experience

• Visited February 2014
Holland, Massachusetts
“beautiful restaurant”
Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

I've been for both lunch and dinner. Each meal was good and the staff amazing. The perfect restaurant for a nice meal out.

Visited July 2013
Orleans, Massachusetts
“NEW YEARS EVE”
Reviewed 17 January 2014

Our favorite place for events and where to take the family . The service is friendly and helpful . We have our favorite meals and have never had a bad meal . We see a lot of our friends there . The hostess , Kate , always says hello and makes sure we are "happy" .

• Visited December 2013