“Pretty landscaping, clean pool, nice hosts”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Orleans
Ridgewood Motel and Cottages
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Orleans
Reviewed 15 July 2012

We stayed the week of 4th of July. Even in a drought, the landscaping was beautiful, and we noticed that every time we were outside of our room, somebody was cleaning something, trimming something, watering something, etc. Our room was average with two double beds, a desk, table and two chairs, and a small tv. There was a closet, but in the nook where there was a desk, or instead of the table, I would have appreciated a dresser as there were two adults and two children. Having said that, do you really want to be spending your time in your room anyway when you are on beautiful Cape Cod?

Because we were attending a weeklong family reunion, we did not take advantage of some of the things that we noticed which were of particular interest to us....for example, this place has many little sitting areas outside with a table and some benches, or adirondack chairs, in sun or shade, that were charming. I could easily spend a few hours relaxing with a book in any of them. There are also cottages which we will be checking out for next year.

In the morning at the front desk area there is coffee (nice and strong), and several types of coffeecake which we thought were homemade, but are apparently from a local bakery. Luckily, they don't roll it up at 10AM, like so many places do, and keep it available until at least noon.

Our only complaint was that the wireless did not extend to some of the rooms, or the pool area. While I am OK with unplugging for a while, I did have some work I had to do for a few hours when I was there and thought I would be able to do it when I was watching the kids swimming. However, this is almost not worth mentioning, because I understand from the owners that they are having an ongoing conversation with their ISP to rectify this situation.

Not only will we be staying there next summer, it is so affordable that I may grab a friend and just go there off season for an inexpensive getaway.

Room Tip: If you need WiFi, check with owners to see if Wifi problem in the farther rooms has been rectified...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank rea118

Reviewed 14 July 2012

Enjoy our annual stays here while visiting family in the area. Excellent location for the Orleans/Brewster area. Immaculatlely kept old style motel that is family owned. We feel very comfortable and welcome there.

Room Tip: Room 8 is great
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 July 2012

The Ridgewood is a wonderful getaway if you have a family and want to feel safe and comfortable. Stan and Agie Knowles are wonderful hosts. In fact coming to the Ridgewood is a family tradition. My wife came here when she was a child and now we bring our three kids every July. Close to 30 years of tradition. You can't beat the price or the atmosphere. We feel confident knowing our kids can roam the cottage grounds and feel right at home. This is the perfect place for the price. We enjoy coming here every year and will continue to do so! I would highly recommend the Ridgewood for a fun relaxed family vacation. They will take good care of you!

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 July 2012

My boyfriend and I just recently stayed at the Ridgewood for our second vacation at the Cape together!! He has stayed at the Ridgewood on many other occasions because he fly fishes on the Brewster Flats, however I enjoyed my stay so much last summer, I wanted to go back again this year! When you go on vacation in the summer, esp to the beach, you want to be out and about enjoying the beautiful summer weather not camped out in a motel or hotel room! Top on my list is an immaculately clean room and bathroom with great water pressure in the shower and a drain that does not clog, an air conditioner that cools the room nicely, a refrigerator plenty of towels, and someone who comes in to clean your room daily!! The Ridgewood has ALL of this and a CHARMINGLY QUAINT DECOR which goes with the ambiance of being at the Cape! I am Not looking for RITZ when I am in Orleans, I am looking for The Ridgewood! For any snop that can't appreciate the CHARM and CLEANLINESS of the Ridgewood, don't bother to go on vacation at all! C. V. and G. Burda

Room Tip: Loved the room with the deck off the back!!!!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 June 2012

The Ridgewood Motel is a throwback to the golden age of car travel, when the motel was king. The rooms in the motel itself are slightly dated, but immaculately kept up (I could have eaten off the floor in the bathroom ... not that I did, but it was spotless). The rooms are on the small side, but I didn't spend much time in mine, so it wasn't an issue. The continental breakfast is just that -- it's coffee and some small pastries. The owners are friendly, and will gladly help out if there's an issue. It is a family run business, so it may take a couple of tries to get them on the phone for a reservation. The hotel is pretty well located - just close enough to the main arteries to be convenient, but off the main road enough that you're not kept up all night by traffic. There's a gas station with a convenience store next door, and groceries and pharmacies are about two miles away in downtown Orleans if needed. I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Khowaga
Reviewed 18 June 2012

I spent the week in a 1-bedroom cottage with my daughter and two small grandchildren. It was comfortable and clean, although some of the amenities could be spruced up a bit - i.e., refrigerator old and didn't close too well, dresser in the bedroom old and smelled mildewy(sp?), and the futon couch in the living room (which was my bed), was quite cumbersome and heavy to open. The grounds around the children's play area left a little to be desired too. Despite that, it was spacious and centrally located to many of the area attractions - Plymouth and Hyannis, less than a 50-minute drive as was Provincetown. Two beautiful beaches just 10-15 away. Would stay again for the price and location but will get the two bedroom cottage.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank NancyL1018
Management response:Responded 9 July 2012

Dear Guest, Thank you for your helpful comments. We have taken immediate steps to correct the stale smell in the dresser drawers, and have lined all cottage dressers with a lovely smelling liner. Our grounds keeper has cleaned up the sand box area and filled the box with lots of fresh sand...(the rain we had for days prior, had left it a bit messy). We appreciate your constructive criticism. Thank you, Knowles Family (owners/operators for 32 years).

Reviewed 5 June 2012

I would describe this as quaint and charming, although it's just not my type of place to stay. Old bedspreads gross me out, and furniture that looks like it's from an antique store just aren't my thing. For the price and location though, you just can't beat this place.

You can either get a small motel room, or you can get a little bit larger cottage. Our whole wedding party was there, so a few of us had motel rooms and others had the cottages. My friends cottage did not have air conditioning, but our motel room did. So ask ahead if you'll be getting AC in your unit.

The property was well maintained and cared for, and the couple that owns the property were super helpful and very nice (I spoke to the wife on the phone while booking, and the husband while checking in).

Overall, this is a great place to stay on a budget.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Aaron K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orleans
Skaket Beach Motel
Rodeway Inn
Rodeway Inn
#5 of 8 in Orleans
Wequassett Resort and Golf Club

Been to Ridgewood Motel and Cottages? Share your experiences!