“Just a place to stay”

Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Orleans
Tarrytown, New York
“Just a place to stay”
Reviewed 28 August 2012

This place is is bad need of an overhaul. Room had no coffee maker; we brought our own which we had to use on the floor. There was a 15" round table, nothing more. The cable has very limited channels (Orleans does have an extensive cable listing). There were two outlets in the walls which were useless, the plug would simply fall out of the socket (how safe is THAT?) hence coffee maker on the floor. Only usable outlet was in the bathroom. The carpet and upholstery must have 20 years of embedded grime. The A/C unit was so high on the wall it was barely reachable, certainly not readable. Grounds around the pool are poorly maintained. TV situated in an awkward position for viewing. Amenities include a vending and an ice machine. WiFi was sporadic. If this is what you wish to present to the public, fine. But you need to reduce your prices.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Marian M
David R, General Manager at Governor Prence Inn, responded to this review, 29 August 2012
The staff, owners and I understand that our guests have high expectations when they arrive here on their vacations. We are always concerned when we did not meet a particular guests' desires. We do strive to offer visitors to Orleans a good clean room at a fair price. As I have mentioned in previous posts--we are a older--but well maintained property. We do put time and money into upkeep and new furnishings continuously.
It is disappointing that this reviewer chose to criticize us for relatively minor things--such as the lack of in room coffee makers--when we do in fact offer free coffee-- which is available in our cafe'--whenever the office is open.
Most of our guests find our satellite cable TV offerings to be more than adequate--we do offer 26 channels including NESN, ESPN, DISC, NAT GEO etc-- as well as all of the basic local channels
I've also found most of our visitors come to Orleans to visit the beaches and enjoy the many diverse outdoor activities such as the Bike Trail etc--rather than sitting in their rooms watching TV-- and counting the channels--
Our Wifi is free and available through the property--I've found that the reception depends in a large part on the device--we do test and monitor the signal--since this is a very popular amentity here.
Our electrical outlets are all up to code, safe and work perfectly fine to power the lamps, TV's and refrigerator in the rooms which are plugged into them.
It unfortunate that this guest didn't enjoy their time here--and choose to dwell on the negative--rather than the positive.
As I have written in the past --for better or worse-- there are no new, inexpensive chain motels or hotels in this area-- This is unlike many other parts of the country -- and is largely because of the economic and regulatory barriers--that an 8 week season in a historic area presents.
However-- I do take some consolation in knowing that as another busy August draws to a close-- that the great majority of our guests--do enjoy the clean comfortable rooms which we offer at a fair affordable price--this is why we have continued to welcome our guests--new and old--for over 35 years under the same independant family ownership.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Taunton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 2 August 2012

I want to first say that the staff at the Governor Prence Inn were very easy to talk with and were helpful any time necessary. That being said, I was not impressed with the Inn. I know it takes money to fix up a hotel and if you don't have guests, how is that going to happen. The GPI needs a LOT of remodeling. It's old. The two rooms I encountered had a funny smell. Outdated furniture, bath appliances, etc throughout the Inn. The continental breakfast was ok at first, but nothing special at all. The main feature is the 'giant pool'. It is giant. My kids loved it and had a lot of fun swimming in it. They were painting the exterior while we stayed, so at least the GPI is trying!

2 Thank ToyDiva
David R, General Manager at Governor Prence Inn, responded to this review, 3 August 2012
I know that the traveling public expects a lot these days--and its unfortunate when their expectations are not met when they stay here with us on Cape Cod. As this reviewer did note:
we do try --and we are always in the process of working to improve the property--in order to make sure our guests have a pleasant stay here.
I'm not sure that people understand that the great majority of the hotels and motels on the Cape were built prior to 1970--As I mentioned previously the economic and regulatory climate here-- isn't favorable towards building anything brand new--
Consequently-- we continue to utlize our existing facilities --and to make continuous improvements-- This year alone at the Governor Prence--we purchased new furniture for 20 of our traditional rooms-- and installed 32" flat screen TV's in 20 of our Courtyard, Woodsview and Poolside rooms. I know that there is always room for improvement--and that is why the owners, staff and I continue to invest our time and dollars into the property--year after year--and on a daily basis--
In fact--we have our staff + a subcontractor working on exterior painting here-- today.
I'm pleased that this guest did appreciate the friendly staff and our large outdoor pool--and I hope that if they would choose to return here again next year--that they would notice more improvements and further changes--
North Kingstown, Rhode Island
Reviewed 2 August 2012

We stayed last weekend for one night at the Governor Prence. It was just OK. The positives are that it was very, very clean, and the staff was very helpful. It's in a good location, and we really appreciated the proximity to the Cape Cod Rail Trail. Someone there loves birds, as there is a beautiful little garden area with bird feeders that the birds just flocked to-very nice to see. My kids loved it.
The negatives are that the place really needs a facelift, more modern amenities, decor, landscaping. From top to bottom, inside and out, this place is DATED! It all felt kind of ...depressing. The tons of ant hills on the way to pool made it hard to just let the kids run to the pool barefoot. The pool itself was ok-my daughter loved it, but the bottom of the pool needed a good vacuuming. Kind of indicative of the whole place-in need of maintenance. The continental breakfast was fair. The coffee from the coffee machine was absolutely awful. I had to leave the hotel to find a decent cup of coffee. If push came to shove, we would stay there again knowing how clean it is, but I would look elsewhere first for a more updated, modern place.

2 Thank jane1321
We are always interested in hearing the guest's feedback regarding their stay here at our motel. I know that the traveling public and society in general has very high expectations--and we do our very best to meet or exceed them. Sometimes those expectations are unmet--I know from speaking to our many customers that most people appreciate the fact that our motel and most of Cape Cod is a bit "old fashioned" --which perhaps some unfortunately percieve as being"dated". For better or worse -there are very few properties- here on Cape Cod built after 1970--the economic and regulatory barriers are prohibitive.
I think from the feedback which I recieve here in person --on property--that the majority of our guests do feel that we do offer a good value for the price which we charge. Of course-there is always room for improvement--which is why we do continue to invest time, labor and money into the property day after day--year after year.
I'm glad that this reviewer did appreciate the fact that the staff was friendly and the room was very clean--In many ways these things are the most important attributes of a good lodging establishment--and are a good part of the many reasons why we have been sucessfully operating under the same ownership and managment for so many years.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 12 July 2012

The Governor Prence Inn has authentic, retro charm. Staying there felt like being on vacation in a "Mad Men" episode, complete with vintage grills at pool side. It may not be for everyone, which is fine by us. The staff was beyond friendly, and also politely let us enjoy our stay. Housekeeping also was diligent in their cleaning, and respectful of "do not disturb" signs. Also, it's a pet friendly place in more than just name. The whole staff was welcoming and friendly to our doggie. The inner "courtyard" area was surprisingly bigger than the website suggests, and the gazebo with night time christmas lights was a really cool center piece. Nice to find some old Cape still exists, and Orleans is charming also. We will be back!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank SGcubed
, General Manager at Governor Prence Inn, responded to this review, 13 July 2012
Thanks for taking the time to give your feedback. It great that you can appreciate the many good things which we offer our guests. We have spent a great deal of time and effort to maintain the charm of the motel. I believe that many of our guests do like the fact that we aren't a cookie cutter chain property. Sometimes people misinterpret the many charms of an older well maintained place. It's nice to see that this reviewer did realize that although we may not be the newest property --that relative to what is available in our area-- we do offer our customers a good value, a good nights sleep --in a clean comfortable room-- at a good value.
Fiskdale, Massachusetts
Reviewed 10 July 2012

As the website describes, it really does have a nice setting - albeit zero landscaping to make it enjoyable or anywhere near the "5 acres of award winning rose gardens" advertised on the site. That said, its location is great. The staff is friendly. And the price is right. But in general, if I'm objectively reviewing this motel... it's just really not a well-maintained place. It feels like it had its heyday long ago, and aside from painting and some minor upgrades, has seen relatively little as far as improvements and maintenance since that time.

I'm baffled by some of the comments in other reviews, because to say it's "very well taken care of" is simply not true. I'm not going to overtly bash it - but I will just scratch my head and wonder why the management doesn't focus some TLC on the grounds and the buildings. Some of it will require money, sure, but some of it feels like it could be corrected with simply a little extra effort. Are they full all summer? Do they not need to make improvements to fill the rooms? That's the only explanation I can think of...

I've read replies from management to others' comments where management pleads "I wish you would've contacted us while you were here so we had a chance to correct the issue." Here's the problem: the issues that would be brought up are simply too big and/or general to be addressed in response to a complaint. And frankly, most of them *should* be self-evident to someone running a motel and concerned about how their property is perceived by its customers... and what those customers might say about it on a site such as... tripadvisor. It shouldn't take someone complaining about things to have it be addressed - be a little proactive!

That said, it feels like the place is stuck in some timewarp (I guess I'm too young to appreciate it at 41?), and I speculate that the management are somewhat oblivious to how it's perceived by its customers. I don't run a hotel, so I'm sure it's fraught with challenges, but from my perspective, it feels like some relatively small things could be done which could go a long way toward the perception guests have of the motel.

As it stands, and despite the good things it does offer (location, staff friendliness, and a decent pool), my family will not stay here again.

2 Thank SkinnyLumpkin
, General Manager at Governor Prence Inn, responded to this review, 14 July 2012
We're always concerned when one of our guests doesn't feel that their experience at our motel met all of their expectations. It is our goal to ensure that people enjoy their stay here.
The owners, staff and I do spend a quite lot of time, money and effort each and every year to improve and upgrade the rooms and grounds.
This year alone we replaced the furniture and mattress' in over 20 rooms--we also installed flat screen 32" TV's in another 20 rooms. We have built a new stairway for guests to access the courtyard building rooms and planted many trees, perennial flowers and shrubberies. This is in addition to the normal painting and upkeep which we do as routine maintainence.
Our work & efforts here are constant & ongoing--and I always consider the motel to be a work in progress.Of course there is always room for improvement--which is why I do take the guest's comments and suggestions seriously --especially ones that address specific issues.
I'm confident--based on 12+ years here speaking to our guests-- that we do provide a good value for the price we charge--relative to what is available here on Cape Cod. I'm sorry that this guest did not feel this way.
I will also say - that I have spoken to many long term repeat guests this season--and all of them have complimented us on all of the improvements--which they all have thought were quite noticible.
I'm sorry that this particular guest didn't have a positive experience--however I do take some consolation in knowing that the great majority of our guests-- do enjoy their stay here with us while in Orleans.
Norwalk, Connecticut
Reviewed 6 July 2012

My wife and I have stayed at the GP 3 times now, heading back for a 4th visit soon. We have always loved the central location,pool and nice area outside for a quick breakfast. This past visit we were happy to see that the staff had been doing some small updates to the rooms such as new fixtures and new furniture during the off season. Still the best place to stay on the Cape for those with problems with allergies.

Room Tip: ask for #28 if you don't like rugs