“Old Mattress, weird room and poor followup”

SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Peabody
New York City, New York
“Old Mattress, weird room and poor followup”
Reviewed 13 October 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights in October 2013. I did not like my stay.

The room promised was a king suite. It was a king room, no suite.

The mattress felt to be 10 years old and I woke up each morning with a stiff back.

The room was a handicapped room so the layout was off, we were not warned of this at check in. The counter top in the bathroom was too small and the TV was in the wrong place for viewing from the bed due to the handicapped layout.

We were warned that the parking lot was unsafe and break-ins occur regularly. The police were in the parking lot almost every time we returned to or left the property.

I filled out the Marriott email survey and conveyed most of the above to mgmt. I received a polite email back saying that the mattress in the room was replaced and that they instructed the staff to inform guests if they have no conventional rooms available. This seems like the right thing and was considerate.

They also credited me 4000 Marriott points. Which at first seems to be a very nice gesture. After I looked into my account ( I don't get points I opt for miles) I realize I was given what amounts to a wooden nickel. I can never use them, even if I stayed at another Marriott property I would earn miles and not points, so there they sit forever or until they expire.

So I write this public review in response to the insult of the wooden nickel. If you want to stay at a property that pays attention to detail look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Find another property to stay at.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jj8111

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
Reviewed 12 October 2013

First the staff is nice and make check-in easy. The place is clean and modern and a delight to stay in. The breakfast had a lot of choices (maybe not the best tasting but still a good standard for the selection size).

Two complaints. The hallway are noisy and the doors weren't quite. The air conditioner is like a jet engine the vibrated the floor and window, so I had to turn it off.

Good value and a good stay (with reservations).

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Guaynabo, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Stayed here for one night last month. When we went to sleep everything seemed to be OK, nothing extraordinarily good, but nothing bad either. Then right past 6AM it seemed like the sun was coming out directly inside our room. At first I thought that the curtains had to be broken. However, not only were they not broken, by they were "fully shut". The problem was that even when fully shut they barely seemed to block out the sun. The room must have been facing directly east. So like I said in the title, if you want to sleep past sunrise, do not stay here. If not, this hotel should not be a problem.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
TX
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Hotel is located on the main route from Logan airport just outside of Boston. Quick access to I-95. Very nice, clean and fresh suites with fridge / microwave / living room space and windows that open. Comfortable bed and good shower pressure. Breakfast buffet was a pleasant surprise with many choices. Business center / computers in the lobby. Friendly staff. Plenty of free parking and a sonic nearby that's open late. I would recommend this hotel to anyone that wants to stay close to Boston. It's easy to miss as you are driving up, so be careful otherwise you have to do a rather long U turn to get back !

Room Tip: Don't get a room too close to the elevator ! the ding dongs can wake you up !
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank ALTX01
Norwich, Connecticut
Reviewed 30 September 2013

We stayed for just a night. The hotel was sold out, but it was not at all noisy. Relatively convenient location for the area (we went to Salem).

The hotel seemed to be overwhelmed Sunday morning in the breakfast area. It was packed, they ran out of batter (we heard others complain) and

The doors autolock like at just about any hotel, but ours was pre-locking. The deadbolt was coming out before the door would shut. Thankfully we noticed this and by opening the handle the lock would retreat.

We let the manager know at checkout and he seemed genuinely concerned. We thought we had said something the night before and got upset that the issue had not been resolved, however we only let them know at checkout.

We had a great deal on the room, the beds were comfortable but the carpeting/overall design seems a bit dated. We would stay again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Aaron D
Augusta, Maine
Reviewed 26 September 2013

The rooms were comfortable and clean (although the carpets could have used a shampooing); the beds were very comfortable; the breakfast buffet was great with ample choices; the staff was friendly and accomodating. The only negative thing I could say about this hotel is the location and how to get to it if you are coming in from the north. If you are not familiiar with Route 1, you could probably get lost trying to get turned around to get into the hotel!

One other thing that kind of disturbed us...when we got the to the room after check-in, the room door was ajar and held open by the locking mechanism, At first we thought that perhaps the room was booked to someone else and they had run out to get something. We entered the room cautiously and checked the closets, etc. and found nothing. We called the front desk to report it and they offered to come up and go through the room with us but offered no explanation as to why the door was left open - kinda creepy to say the least but once we got through that all was well!

Room Tip: We were in a room on the 2nd floor and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Orelia H
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 19 September 2013

This was my first time staying in a SpringHill Suites. I ended up here because I couldn't afford anything in central Boston.

The location is on busy US 1. US 1, along with all the highways I've traveled in Massachusetts, is a pain in the neck.

Thanks to someone on this forum, I knew where to be looking and caught my turn.

The hotel is very nice. The public spaces are very crisp, as are the rooms. There are computers in the lobby to use to print out boarding passes. Parking is adequate and free.

There is a separate work and couch area in the rooms. I liked that they don't use nasty bedspreads. It felt very clean. The bed was a little soft for me, but I survived for one nights.

I appreciated having a microwave and refrigerator in the room. They even have plastic silverware and a paper plate in the kitchen area. It came in handy to reheat my left over pizza.

Free breakfast includes things like eggs, breakfast meats, yogurt, oatmeal, fruit, etc.

I recommend this hotel and will be happy to stay in this chain again.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that does not face US 1. I was on the 4th floor and still heard some road noise.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Travelsgirl93
Also consider these accommodations in or near Peabody
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
Hawthorne Hotel
Hawthorne Hotel
#1 of 3 in Salem
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,915 reviews

Been to SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody? Share your experiences!