“Ok, but with some bed bugs aside”

SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Peabody
Reviewed 11 May 2010

The hotel was marginal at best for the price. My parents first room (we were there for my youngest sisters M.Div graduation) had bed bugs. They were accomodating and moved them. However, the did not bend over backwards to make it right. Our room was average. The bed was fine and it was clean. However, for the price I expected to be a level above a Fairfield or Hampton, and besides the size it was not. Would not discourage or encourage a stay at this property, just a neutral hotel.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank ads8qd

Reviewed 16 February 2010

We booked this hotel based on our prior experiences with Marriott and the Spring Hill Suites chain in the past. Also, there was the fact of the discount price, and also because it seemed close to Boston. We wanted to get away for a short weekend trip with our 2 children and head into Boston to see some kid-friendly sights.

I have to say I was disappointed in this hotel. It was not as clean as other SHS we've stayed in. It was VERY crowded also--I was informed that the hotel was sold out for Saturday night. This was evident when we entered the pool area. There were noisy, rude children everywhere. No pool towels to be found (although some were brought in later). Also there were about 16 teenagers crammed into a hot tub with a capacity for 8. I was shocked to find that the pool was FREEZING cold. Not sure what was wrong here, but it was not heated in any way, shape or form. My children insisted on going in, and I found that there was sand (??) in many areas of the pool bottom.

In terms of location, this has got to be the most confusing aspect of this hotel. SHS itself is on US 1, which is a 'divided highway'. I expected to be able to turn around (make a U-turn) at some point on U S 1--I was mistaken. It is analogous to an interstate. One must 'exit' the road, and then re-enter via an on-ramp, in order to turn around. This was very frustrating (even with the GPS) when my gas light was on E!

As far as being proximal to Boston, it is about 15 miles away via map. Looks pretty easy--but is not so easy to navigate. In order to get to Boston, most travelers will take the T --the MBTA ( Subway). For a small fare (Less than $5), the 4 of us can go into the city without paying $35-$45 to park the car for the day. Seems logical, right? Well, it really was NOT WORTH THE HASSLE! The hotel gave us typed directions (straight from GPS) to the nearest T station (the name is Wonderland Station). These directions are quite specific, but due to the road layouts of this area, they are extremely difficult to follow if one is not a "local". We did make it there, but it was quite a drive. We did take the T into the city, but my husband did question if the car would still be in the lot when we returned. (Thankfully it was--but you get the idea, right?)

As far as the free breakfast, I have no complaints. Plenty of food and things were replenished frequently. The staff were nice enough, but we did not have much interaction with them. I would also note that there are TONS of restaurants on U S 1 south of the hotel, but see my note about about trying to get to them. You must take a right out of the SHS parking lot and head North on US1..trying to go South is quite an adventure. Once we figured it out, we found many chain restaurants plus several local food eateries that seemed busy.

In terms of safety, I would never as a female stay here alone. The parking lot was poorly lit. There is a fast food restaurant (Sonic) next door. The hotel has posted a sign indicating that they have had many cars broken into along U S 1, and to take your GPS/cell phone/CDs out of the car when you park it in their lot overnight. This left me feeling pretty unsafe. I was aware of this matter (thanks to reading Trip Advisor) prior to going to this hotel, but was not aware of how dark the parking lot was at night.

To summarize, the hotel was decent but not what I expected from SHS and Marriott. I will not stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank Jenny C
Reviewed 9 February 2010

We were there for our honeymoon. It was apparently in the middle of some big school function because there were busloads of kids in and out, yet we only knew they were then when we were entering or exiting the hotel. The rest of the time the staff had us so far from them that we didn't know they were there. The staff left us a "welcome" package, congratulating us on the marriage, as well as the extra pillows and towels we had requested. The breakfast was buffet style (with the exception of make-it-yourself waffles) and was GOOD, with a wonderful variety. The staff was helpful with brochures and directions.
Overall a WONDERFUL stay. We're already hoping to return.

Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 November 2009

We (my boyfriend and I of 7.5 yrs) have been meaning to visit Gloucester, MA for some time and during the summer we earnt one free night through Marriott Rewards which we decided to redeem here, and then pay for the second night (about $150) as it was the closest Marriott to Gloucester, as well as Salem.

We stayed in room #515 with a window on the front side of the hotel, facing straight out above the main driveway.

POSITIVES:
Parking was free and the front desk has a sign clearly displayed on the counter warning about car break-ins (even if staff doesn't verbally mention it to you, it's clearly posted). It's good to know they are concerned about their guests having their cars broken into! So don't be stupid, be smart... when you park your car, take down your GPS and anything valuable out of plain sight. And as a followup to the GPS, make sure there isn't a visible suction-cup ring on the window after you take it down. And of course, LOCK your doors!

The front desk staff was friendly. Lots of information on local attractions provided. My boyfriend forgot to pack a toothbrush and they were able to provide a complimentary one to him.

Complimentary breakfast was served buffet-style in the morning in the main lobby area and had quite the variety to choose from: cold cereal, oatmeal, eggs, sausage, juice, coffee, tea, hot cocoa, mixed fruit, bananas, oranges, yogurt, English muffins, bagels, muffins, danishes, and they even had a Belgian waffle machine out with cups of mix so you could make your own.

As for the room, you get a lot for your space. Here the rooms are "suites". They come with a small living room/desk area, a mini-1/2-kitchen that has a mini fridge, microwave, sink, coffee maker, and some paper plates, cups, and plastic utensils.

There were blackout curtains which certainly helped me get a better sleep.

The bathroom was clean. My favorite part was that the shower head was adjustable so that you could change the type of spray and whether it was high or low. It also took little to no time at all for the water to heat up.

SONIC is right next door to the hotel. Instead of daring to drive there, we took the short walk up to it... because as far as we knew, Sonic was just a figment of our imagination in Connecticut... we see commercials all the time on TV but there isn't a single one in the state. So we just had to try it for the sake of saying one actually does exist in New England (Personally, we weren't impressed. Not the quality fastfood we were expecting)

NEGATIVES:
The location, can be cumbersome if you're not from the area. We were using GPS and found it hard to get here on the first try. It's right off a main drag and you really can't do a U-turn until you drive further down to "try again". After screwing up a turn once, we finally got there. It also can be a pain trying to get out of the place with lots of oncoming traffic.

I'm a member of Marriott Rewards and pretty much none of my requests were fulfilled. No extra towels, extra foam pillows, or being far from an ice machine and elevator. The only needs we had met were a king bed, and a high floor.

The TV was a little dated, the big boxy type and the way the room was set up put it in a sort of awkward place in the room.

The bathroom sink, wasn't inside the bathroom. This was annoying when one of us would get up in the night to use the bathroom and then wash our hands because the sound of the sink would wake the other one up.

The hair dryer shorted out when I was using it. Even after hitting the reset button it still did not work. The outlet must have blown.

There were about 5 live ladybugs running around the window, on the inside of the room. Not a big deal to me, but I'm noting it. Its not really a hotel problem, but a New England problem. They are attracted to the amount of moisture we have had this summer and are still hanging around.

The ice machine was about a 10ft walk from our room. If someone used it you could hear it from the room. I thank my lucky stars none of the guests got up in the night to use it.

OVERALL:
Pleasant and comfortable stay despite the negatives, and we really loved having the complimentary breakfast along with the convenience of a microwave and mini fridge in the room. If traveling to the area again, we most likely would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Karascorner
Reviewed 10 November 2009

Would definitely recommend this hotel. Very clean, no hassles, rooms ready when they said they'd be, continental breakfast, indoor pool. We chose this hotel for the location and proximity to an even we had to go to. It is on a very busy street, but once you're inside, you won't hear the traffic at all! Our kids enjoyed the pool/sauna for 2 days, and practically had it all to themselves. The pool area was constantly being replenished with clean pool towels which was nice. The continental breakfast was adequate, but a reminder: it can get a little congested in the morning with everyone trying to eat before they get into their day, so be prepared for slow lines at the breakfast area. The items they had were: sausage, eggs, a waffle station, cold cereal, yogurt, oatmeal, juices, muffins, bagels and english muffins. Pretty much all you need to get started. We were there for 3 days and our kids didn't want to leave. We used the fitness room and Wi-Fi which were all their website said they would be. We ordered from a local deli which, unfortunately I can't remember the name of, but it delivered to our room, had wonderfully low prices and GREAT deli take out. We got the menu from the front desk, I want to say it was Greg's? Not sure. I would stay here again and do recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 October 2009

My wife and I were finishing up a 25th wedding aniversary trip to New England and booked this hotel the day before we stayed there. We still got a great price. The service was excellent; my wife mentioned to the clerk it was our 25th anniversary trip and they sent up a gift basket. The free breakfast was the best I have ever had in a hotel. The room was good. I love staying in suites with a couch, refrigerator and microwave. The only down side was the hotel's location on a limited access highway which made it a little difficult to get to. I consider this hotel a real bargan for what you get.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 September 2009

We had a very smooth check in, the room was clean and the internet was fast and convenient. The rooms are smaller than other Springhill Suites, so that was a disappointment, but we weren't in the room all that much anyway. The roadway is close to the hotel and you have to be very quick if you want to go the other direction. What they call a U turn is actually turning right and following the road back. We missed it about 3 times, yes, we were slow learners. We went to Boston daily so the traffic was a pain. Our group got a great rate for this place, but that 17 mile drive was very long. Clean rooms, attentive desk staff, maids don't speak English, ask the desk clerk if you want more coffee or anything else. One of our group had a problem with something being thrown on their car in the night. Otherwise, I would recommend this place, breakfast wasn't bad.

• Stayed: September 2009
Also consider these accommodations in or near Peabody
Hampton Inn Boston/Peabody
Boston Marriott Peabody
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Boston-Peabody
Homewood Suites by Hilton Boston-Peabody
Four Points by Sheraton Wakefield Boston Hotel & Conference Center
Hawthorne Hotel
Hawthorne Hotel
#1 of 3 in Salem

Been to SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody? Share your experiences!