“Cheap but not very cheerful”

and 1 more site!
The Kingfisher Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wall Heath
Reviewed 23 August 2014

I have stayed at the Kingfisher before and knew what to expect and was not disappointed. If you have a very small budget and need somewhere to lay your head without any quality whatsoever then this place will meet your remit. I stayed for a working week Mon - Thu and on arrival the room (with double bed) I was allocated had not been cleaned. I moved to a room with two single beds (no problem as I was on my own). There are no fripperies in the Kingfisher so don't expect soaps, creams, grooming products, glasses or plastic cups, TV remote control, or a chair in the room. On the second day I arrived to discover that one of the beds had been removed but not the bedside table. That was a bonus as I could use it as a chair when I ate my fish and chips. The downside was that significant dust (including a sausage shaped and sized collection of the lord only knows what) as well as discarded plastic cutlery, fast-food containers and an old newspaper were left behind and no attempt had been made to vacuum or clean the room. None was made for the rest of the week. The bathroom had a radiator that was full on with no ability to moderate the temperature. It had been some months since it had seen a mop or other cleaning device and the towel was not always changed despite leaving it in the bath. There were some indecent looking stains in the bathroom that had developed significant character of their own over time. They clearly don't see cleaning the place as a good investment and it is important to bring some carpet slippers to avoid having your bare feet in contact with the deck at any point. I have stayed in some pretty grotty places in my life of tramping the globe and this is as grotty as any I have stayed in in the depths of the sub-continent, South America or Africa. But it is cheap and I can survive there.

Room Tip: Be prepared for a very poor experience.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Stevan J
There are newer reviews for The Kingfisher Hotel

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Not even worth a penny, everything is dirty and disgusting, from bugs in the bed, to heavily stained carpets, and rude staff

4  Thank Stuartj j
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Following a recent visit to attend a wedding, we decide to stay here as it was okay a few years ago. First night was somewhat okay, however we were really tired and didnt really look. Went back in the afternoon of the next day to change for the wedding, room not made up, had to request new towels, carpets horribly stained, mould growing on the window, we also found a food wrapper with an expiry date of 6th of July under the bed, considering we stayed on the 10th of August, when last was this room cleand??? When we got back later that evening, got into bed, my partner noticed bugs crawling, we immediately go up and decided that no matter how tired, we would rather drive 3 hours back at 1am than spend a minute more there. The staff could not care less that we would rather leave, even after we explained why. No offer of a new room, no apology, Please dont stay here!!!!!!

Room Tip: Dont, not worth it
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Stuartj j
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I'm currently in Room 33 (which it seems is in the same state as an earlier review) in that it smells violently of smoke and if can smell damp too, which is no doubt from the long patch of it down the wall by the bed!!! The carpet is vile, dirty & gross as is the bathroom. If my girls weren't so tired we'd be packing up & moving, however we'll save that for the morning. I've paid for 3 nights at £25/night and I know that's cheap, but I wouldn't tolerate damp and cigarette smoke in my own house, let alone pay £25 for the privilege(?) anywhere else. M

Disgusting, dirty, smelly. I've emailed the hotel from my room seeing as I'm struggling to sleep & have the next 7 hours to kill but no reply, as yet. They'll be getting it both barrels in the morning, that's a certainty.

The place wants shutting down. It's horrid.

Reception smells musty and the carpet there is threadbare - should've seen the signs weren't great as soon as we got here to be honest :-(

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank MACrozier78
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The reason I booked this hotel was because I had a car for a couple of days and wanted to visit a couple of places to the west and south of the West Midlands area. Even without a sat nav or even a map the hotel was super easy to find located on the main road between Wolverhampton and Worcester via Kidderminster. The car park outside is huge and free of charge as is the Wi Fi.
The comments about the condition of the rooms in other reviews are not untrue, the place could do with a refurbishment, but then again you don't find a room this size for the price you pay here.
I particularly enjoyed having my morning coffee outside the patio door in the small garden. I would have preferred that the TV set worked properly and that flushing the toilet was less noisy however.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Maltrueno
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Where do I start? If you don't get to the end of my review all you need to know is do not stay at this hotel, even if there is no other hotel available...... sleep in your car!

Ok, we paid £25 for the room. I wasn't expecting the Hilton but I was expecting a clean, comfortable room in a safe hotel. I have stayed in many budget hotels all over the world but never have a stayed in such a disgusting hotel.

We stayed in room 33 which as all hotels should be was a non smoking room. The room stunk of cigarettes. Not just stale smoke, fresh too. We had a very tired 2 year old with us and all her things smelt of smoke. I had to wash all our things when we got home and spray everything I couldn't wash.

The bed just looked like an old battered camp bed, the 30 year old TV was all fuzzy and the remote didn't have batteries in. The kettle had stale water in, the bathroom was filthy. Toilet needed a good scrub and I wasn't even stepping in the bath never mind bathing my 2 year old in it. The windows needed a good clean and the window handles where broken. The carpet needed throwing and wallpaper was hanging of the wall.

You could hear everything the other people where doing in the adjoining rooms and every time someone used the toilet or taps the pipes creek and bang. A club was adjoining the hotel and all you could hear was thud, thud, thud.

We didn't complain because I honestly didn't feel safe in this hotel with the staff that were on duty. I very much doubt that any of the rooms where any different anyway. Honestly if our daughter wasn't so knackered and asleep within minutes of being in the room (she was ok, she had her own travel cot, although how she slept through all the noise I'll never know!) we would have been out of there. We would have gone to another hotel or just carried on driving through the night to get home!

Me and my husband just tried to get asleep as fast as we could so it would soon be morning and we could get out of there. Luckily our daughter wakes at 6.45 so we where on the road by 7 and headed for the nearest services for breakfast, no way was I eating in this hell hole.

I have emailed the hotel and so far I have had no response. I have since written to the relevant authorities as this hotel should not be open for business.

Room Tip: No good rooms - your car would be a better choice
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank StanleyChick
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I stayed in this place one night just somewhere to sleep cheap and easy when arriving the desk was dirty and the man very rude sitting with headphones in. We was allocated in room 19 when entering the ceiling was full of cobwebs and spiders, the floor filthy not been hoovered for a very long time! The bathroom tap fall of when trying to fill the kettle, bath was yellow with brown stains all corners of bath were mouldy with a very old dated shower. The bed sheet and towels couldn't moan about they were very clean but had to ask for more several time. The head board was hanging off the wall and to top it off bird poo all over the window with a horrible view and mouldy curtains. I would advise not to stay here at all as I would never return again!

• Stayed: August 2014
3  Thank Chelchar
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wall Heath
Travelodge Birmingham Kingswinford
Copthorne Hotel Merry Hill Dudley
Himley House Good Night Inn Hotel

Been to The Kingfisher Hotel? Share your experiences!