“North bound” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Owston
Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
“North bound”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2013

I traveled here from Cambridge on a blustery day. This place is a magnet for golfers. Overall a nice main hall. Once checked in i had to exit the building and walk across a large courtyard and into the accommodation block. Not ideal if it's raining. Anyway, i got into the single room and noticed how cold it was. I stood by a small radiator to get warm. The radiator in the shower room didn't work and it was cold in there. I didn't go back to the main building until breakfast time. I noticed that i could hear somebody else TV through the floor. Very annoying.I found the acoustics traveled through the place i.e doors closing, late night chatter etc. Breakfast in the morning was very good. Done by a proper chef served by great staff. A great place with great character and if you play golf brilliant but a bit cold and noisy for me.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Trev D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

We have been to owston hall a few times and stayed over night once. When we stayed it was booked on a last minute basis and they only had the coach rooms available. When we checked in the receptionist have us our keys and directions along with a sympathetic look so I kind of new what we were going to get. The room is similar to a motorway hotel, very dark and small - nothing special at all and for the price we paid I expected better. I did complain in writing to the hotel twice but they never replied back!! Its a shame because those rooms really do let the place down. No complaints in regards to the spa, the service or the food.

This hasnt put us off as the food and service in my opinion is very good and quite good value for what you get. I just would never stop overnight again because we are local anyway. I hope the management read and take on board all these comments

• Stayed May 2013
Solihull, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

Considering the reviews on here, I was very impressed with every part of my stay. I was here on my own, on business, mature lady on reception was a little dithery but she had just returned from week off so was getting back into it, but she was pleasant and helpful and moved my room from other building into main hotel which I was pleased about. My room. Was the Bradwell, single room but with small double bed so I was pleased. Clean and tidy, lovely decor, slanting floor but to be expected of an old building with character. The whole hotel was warm and cosy and smelt nice. I was a little frustrated I couldn't get on the wifi, it would not connect me but maybe a sign for me to chill out and enjoy my stay. I went down to the bar, ala carte menu, I ordered beer battered cod with no chips and extra veg, they were very accommodating and I had it served to my room. The food was delicious, massive fish, definitely no complaints here. Later I checked out the leisure facilities. Lovely clean warm changing rooms, the pool area was clean, pool was refreshing and the jacuzzi hot and just what I needed. The staff in the hotel were polite, friendly and helpful. Great night sleep, breakfast was yummy, cooked breakfast made to order which is such a refreshing change to all these buffet style hotels. I would definately stay again. Regarding the sat nav problem another reviewer mentioned, I booked through booking.com and they specified the change of sat nav, try DN5 0LP next time, straight to the door :).

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Malmesbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

The place is hard to find as sat navs take you to Owston village and not the hotel; not even a light at the entrance off the road. First evening was spoilt by poor service when ordering dinner. However, after that, staff were attentive and polite. The steaks were first class and the conservatory is relaxing. Rooms a good size and well equipped. Bear in mind that the Coach House accomodation is 100m from the hall and room service does not apply. Excellent breakfasts on offer but spoilt by hot water for tea being provided by one of those large vacuum flasks. Get a proper hot (boiling) water supply so people can have a decent cup of tea.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

We went to owston hall for a friends birthday. The men went golfing while the ladies stayed and had a spa day. The overall stay was fantastic. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff. The food was lovely, the rooms were huge, with everything you could need in them. We would definitely return.

• Stayed November 2013
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

Catalogue of disasters from check in until check out. Staff have no customer service training whatsover and are extremley rude, but having met the co-owner, you can completely understand, if he has anything to do with staff training they do not stand a chance. Was there on a spa break with 8 other family and friends. During my stay was served raw food by the kitchen, spent the night extremely unwell in my bedroom, but was sent a plate of bread and butter to my room in case I got hungry during the night (what a joke) was offered medical assistance so they could say they offered me every assistance just in case I decided to report them or try to persue a claim for food poisoning, the only saving grace was I didn't eat all the chicken before I noticed it was raw in the middle. Another member of our party was sworn at, asked if they thought they were the f*****g hotel inspector by the extremely rude and arrogant co-owner, a piece of sentimental jewellery went missing and nothing was done to try to find this, apart from being asked to leave a forwarding name & address. If you wish to be served raw food & sworn at this is the hotel for you, if not and like us just wanted a girlie weekend spa break, then please do not book this hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank suep7sws

Travellers are raving about these Owston hotels

Barnsley
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013

I was almost put off by this place after reading the reviews on here. I was looking for somewhere to eat to celebrate our wedding anniversary. I saw this place it looked impressive but I read the reviews and then booked somewhere else. However to be polite I spoke to Mark and told him why. I need to make clear I have not stayed so cannot comment on what that is like. However I did eat in the restaurant.

He told me that the food was good and not to be put off. I told him I am quite fussy about food particularly for such an evening as my wedding anniversary. I told him I would not be happy if my evening was ruined by crap food. He was willing to stand by his opinion, so off we went.

I have to say I was pleased with the food my wife and I had, I have no complaints. We enjoyed a chorizo and prawn starter which was lovely, the staff were friendly and I have to saw from what I saw I was impressed. It is at least a little different to a branded hotel.

The setting is very impressive and yes perhaps it could do with a bit of a make over but I have seen far worse with places like Holiday Inn, etc. There was someone there when we arrived at reception but it does not feel very welcoming. But this is an old building. If you want light, open and LOTS of smiley reception staff then go to a brand where they are built for that.

This is an old country home that is used as a hotel. Personally I would prefer to stay somewhere like this than another branded hotel. It seems that you just have to ask not to be put in the Coach House.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Owston
BEST WESTERN PREMIER Doncaster Mount Pleasant Hotel
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,388 reviews
Hellaby Hall Hotel
Hellaby Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Hellaby

Been to Owston Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!