“Disappointed”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Owston
Mpls
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

The setting was beautiful and the room was nice, but there were a few issues that would prevent me from returning.
We had a table for 8:00 in the restaurant. We were seated at 8:30 and our orders weren't taken until 9:00. We didn't get our food until around 10:00. So don't plan on eating there unless you can spare the whole evening.
When I went to go to sleep, the bed was poorly made. Also, it didn't have a top sheet so you either had no covering or a heavy duvet. My room was adjacent to the elevator so I got a fair amount of noise. When i asked about moving so I could get a better night's sleep I was told that they probably didn't have any where to move me to.

Room Tip: Don't get a room abutting the elevator. My satnav took me to a street that doesn't go throu...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank MplsDon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Brighton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

What a shame, visiting there for a wedding. No one with ipad or I phone can get internet connection. Seems to be an ongoing problem. No good at all for business use, or, if you want to send and receive info quickly for an important event, plus a host of other internet necessary stuff. Very frustrating!

Room Tip: If you want wifi connection on any apple devise, go elsewhere!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Owston hotels

Clitheroe, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

The Owston Hall Hotel is set in a wonderful location surrounded by lovely countryside and a superb golf course. It has first class leisure facilities and a grand historic building as a centre piece and thus all the ingredients to be a first class destination hotel. Unfortunately some of the other ingredients are just plain missing - most notably high quality food and service and a lack of visible front of house management. The rooms in the 'coach house' are of variable standard but are reasonable value for money, particularly if secured with the usual online discount.
I have stayed here 4/5 times. However, my most recent visit was the most disappointing. I ordered a pint at the bar and was served by a friendly and welcoming lady. Even as she was serving me, the head waiter was shouting orders to her without any regard or respect for the customers or the lady. I then requested the menu from the lady behind the bar and very apologetically she informed me that she was not allowed to give me the menu and would request that one of the restaurant staff brought one to me. I perused the menu, which was uninspired to say the least, and selected two dishes from the specials. I was offered a seat in the restaurant but indicated I would finish my pint in the bar until the food was ready for service. In the meantime, the clearly misogynistic head waiter continued to shout instructions to the lady behind the bar. She was clearly embarrassed and upset by the behaviour and the failure of the head waiter, despite requests, to provide one of the waiters as cover the bar to allow her to pop to the toilet. I then took a quick call from my partner and just after I answered the head waiter then interrupted me during the call by invading my personal space to advise me that my starter was served. Within 60 seconds I received a total of three reminders that my starter was served despite the fact that I had quickly finished my call and was ordering a glass of wine to accompany the meal. The restaurant staffs' oppressive and off-hand behaviour caused much amusement with others in the bar and again the bar lady had to indicate her embarrassment. I quickly moved to my table and as I was sitting down the head waiter then approached me to ask me if everything was 'ok'.... I indicated that I did not know as I hadn't yet sat down and clearly hadn't tried the food! The reason for his concern was immediately clear .. the batter on the salt and pepper calamari was thick and solid and far from being a light tempura. Consequently, the calamari was over-cooked and rubbery with little of the expected spice from the salt and pepper. Very poor. The waiter arrived to remove my plate and asked how it was but clearly ignored my reply by indicating 'that's good' before swiftly moving off. The main course then arrived and it was like a first round amateur master chef disaster ... over cooked fish, non crispy skin, the fish ravioli was thick and heavy and inedible despite being smothered in a tomato sauce. I left most of the dish and awaited the approach of the head waiter ... but to no avail!. Clearly he could see I wasn't happy and didn't want to take any feedback.
The kitchen clearly needs dramatic improvement to the standard of food to be consistent with the quality expectations of customers of this type of country house hotel. The restaurant front of house is truly awful and needs urgent attention and some proactive and visible management to address the standards and customer experience. If these issues were addressed, I am sure that the reputation of the hotel would quickly improve and more repeat business would be built up.

Room Tip: Some rooms do not have full showers and only have hand held showers which are functional if not desi...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

Group of 22 golfers stayed for two nights in early May. The course was great for a mixed group of handicaps. Grounds were lovely and they even sorted the weather for us. All the staff were warm, helpful and welcoming. Maureen and Mark excelled in looking after us. Food was great with a wide selection on offer. Well stocked bar. My room in the main building was great but some mutterings about the dated single rooms some of my party had in the Coach House. Despite this, it was a great venue and one that we will return to.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Doncaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

In lovely surroundings. We stayed here for a friends 50th birthday celebration. Its an ideal location for a celebration. We stayed in an executive room that was spacious with a large bathroom. The party was great and the staff very friendly and attentive. The breakfast was superb. It was buffet style self serve and the quality of the food was really good. If you get the opportunity go down into the basement and enjoy the pool and jacuzzi . Its a great place to relax with phased mood changing lighting. Really nice !

Room Tip: Book an executive room they are well worth the little bit extra.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Oxted, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed for a couple of nights with my partner as had a wedding (at different location). Therefore just used the hotel and not its facilities. Paid £66.50 per night.

Driving into the grounds I had high expectations; granted it was the evening, but the hotel itself still looked grand.

Parked up and went inside. Spoke with reception (he was a bit weird), and was told we were staying in the 'Coach House' annexe, down the road to the left! We were told to put all our bags back in the car, with no offer of help!

Luckily we drove but if you were to walk, it would take 3 minutes with no lighting.

The room itself was incredibly disappointing. Very small and dated, with a tiny tv (that you had to turn off manually) and the shower could barely fit one person in. The bathroom also flooded whenever you had a shower! We were only given one towel - when phoning reception for another it took 30 minutes to get one!

No bottled water in the room, and even the cold water tap came out luke warm, so recommend you take your own!

The main hotel may be lovely, however if you get a room in the Coach House annexe, flat out refuse to take it! Especially if you are planning on using the bar / restaurant, as the walk back to the annexe in the dark would be trully awful.

A friend from up here told us this hotel was a bit posh! Maybe it's because we are snobby southerners (as most the poor reviews for this place are by us), but it not by my standards and is definately not worth what you pay for it.

Do yourself a favour; if you are just wanting a hotel to stay at; go find a travelodge or premierinn!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Lee M
chester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

this was the surprise of this week as the room i booked was £64 room only.Located outside doncaster, I stayed in the coach house which is a separate building to the main hotel. This hotel boasts a championship golf course, gym, spa with steam room and jacuzzi and well groomed grounds and buildings. the room was not to the standard shown in the pictures and may be last on the list for renovation but it was clean and in reasonable order for the price. a nice shower big enough for two but no bath if that is your preference. unfortunately i was unable to use the inclusive gym and leisure facilities but looking in they seemed in good order. staff were very helpful, friendly and attentive and the food in the restaurant was easily the best i've had in recent months. There was even free wifi in the rooms, the signal wasn't great from my room, but it worked. I have earmarked this hotel as a favourite for my next visit to the area. Bravo Owston Hall, I really enjoyed my stay.

Room Tip: Goto reception without your bags as there is at least one other building where the rooms are located...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Owston
BEST WESTERN PREMIER Doncaster Mount Pleasant Hotel
#6 of 19 in Doncaster
Hellaby Hall Hotel
Hellaby Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Hellaby

Been to Owston Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!