“Shocking”
Review of Owston Hall Hotel

Owston Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Owston
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Well what can I tell you about this place! I am totally and utterly shocked that this Hotel is a three star.

My friend and I go away yearly for a weekend of pampering and shopping. This year was my year to choose and several options kept coming back to here. I booked it. Was a tab dubious mainly because of the price. £155 per person for two nights bed and breakfast, with two half hour spa treatments included. We arrived just before 3pm entered the main hotel and got a brief tour of the spa and escorted to our room by a very friendly lovely girl.

The room was spotless, beautifully decorated and eight years on the BEST hotel we have ever stayed in. All, yes ALL the staff were friendly, professional and a pleasure to speak to. The spa treatments were carried out by a very informative young lady. Again the treatments were very good. The breakfasts were lovely as was the young gentleman who took our orders.

So why am I shocked? Too good for a three star, somebody needs to take another look at this beautiful hotel and regrade it. I shall be coming back, but with my husband.

Thank you Owston for being OWTSTANDING!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank FruityTutti
There are newer reviews for Owston Hall Hotel

Reviewed 8 June 2014

My first experience of a spa break and from my perspective it was fabulous. My friend and I thought the spa facilities were very good, a lovely pool with jacuzzi, steam room and sauna. We enjoyed our treatments and truly felt relaxed.
Approaching the hotel along it's long drive you have the sense of a grand country retreat and it doesn't disappoint. The room was lovely, so huge and airy. Modern bathroom with bath and shower.
The evening meal was wonderful, fresh and served hot. The waiting staff were attentive without being intrusive.
I would certainly return again.
My only criticisms and they are small - the changing room is very small and breakfast wasn't a patch on the evening meal.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We have eaten here several times and always found the food very good. The Sunday menu is limited but offers a mix of traditional and more adventurous. The service is efficient and friendly and the restaurant has a lovely view of the golf course. But ........be warned the sticky toffee pudding portion is huge!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Suzie S
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

As a 21st birthday present my mum booked us into the Owston for one nights stay & use of the spa where we also had treatments... we were very satisfied & happy with the service and found the pool/jacuzzi etc was lovely. The spa treatments were excellent.. we was in room 52 very lovely & modern couldn't fault it, although it was a little warm & the button was broke on the heating control but the windows did open slightly.. The area itself is lovely and big, we ate lunch, tea & breakfast and really enjoyed it.. Overall a really lovely stay and would definitely return.. & also i found the wi fi to work fine no faults at all.

Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 26 May 2014

This place has the potential to be wonderful but we left feeling that there was a lack of training in the staff that let down the lovely surroundings.
We were there on a spa break and when we arrived were shown around by a young lady who appeared to not understand what a spa break was for in that after she had shown us where the beauty salon was, seemed mystified when we asked to see where the spa was, and asked " Do you mean the pool?"
We were asked for a credit card imprint for each room on arrival which is standard hotel procedure but on leaving were told we had to pay with those two cards and could not split the bill between the four of us. When we queried this we were told it had been made clear on arrival but it had definitely not.
We also had to preorder our food for dinner on arrival because we were on a spa break. I can understand being on a special menu for the price we paid but do not understand why we could not have ordered at the table.
On arriving at the pool we were told that they had run out of towels. We were told we could use the towels from our room but they would not be replaced. On pressing the issue the lady we spoke to went to check again and found us towels but would not have done so had we not pressed for it.
On arriving for dinner we asked if we could order a bottle of wine. When it arrived the waitress placed it on the table. We asked if we could taste it first and then could she pour it, which she did - the whole bottle into four glasses and then took the bottle away.
Dinner was nice, the restaurant was quite noisy. There was a lot of golfers there and also a big wedding on in the hotel so if we had gone for a quiet spa break we would have been disappointed. Breakfast was also noisy and although full cooked breakfast was offered it was on a buffet being kept warm, so not the best. They dont even bring you a pot of tea or coffee to the table. You have to stand in line for it and pour your own a cup at a time.
Included in our break was a half hour beauty treatment which we had the following morning. I have never before had a pedicure without a foot soak. Very glad I hadnt been to the gym first and taken my feet out of smelly trainers!! I understand that the treatments are basic and only half an hour but honestly how long does it take to just wash the feet even if you dont soak them.
We had a nice time here and our rooms were lovely but I would not rush back.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 May 2014

The setting was beautiful and the room was nice, but there were a few issues that would prevent me from returning.
We had a table for 8:00 in the restaurant. We were seated at 8:30 and our orders weren't taken until 9:00. We didn't get our food until around 10:00. So don't plan on eating there unless you can spare the whole evening.
When I went to go to sleep, the bed was poorly made. Also, it didn't have a top sheet so you either had no covering or a heavy duvet. My room was adjacent to the elevator so I got a fair amount of noise. When i asked about moving so I could get a better night's sleep I was told that they probably didn't have any where to move me to.

Room Tip: Don't get a room abutting the elevator. My satnav took me to a street that doesn't go throu...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank MplsDon
Reviewed 10 May 2014

What a shame, visiting there for a wedding. No one with ipad or I phone can get internet connection. Seems to be an ongoing problem. No good at all for business use, or, if you want to send and receive info quickly for an important event, plus a host of other internet necessary stuff. Very frustrating!

Room Tip: If you want wifi connection on any apple devise, go elsewhere!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Owston
Best Western Premier Doncaster Mount Pleasant Hotel
#1 of 1 in Hellaby
Whitley Hall Hotel
Whitley Hall Hotel
#2 of 53 in Sheffield

Been to Owston Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!