I stay in a lot of precious boutique hotels: luxurious, expensive, and pretentious, and I like them. For this trip, I looked for just such a hotel (or inn, or b&b), but by April, when I made my reservation, everything even close to pretentious and expensive in the Berkshires was booked. (Not too mention, inns in the Berkshires seem to have a prejudice against children under 12.) So, it was with some trepidation that I booked two rooms at the Berkshire Inn for our family (two adults, a 10-year old and a 13-year old).
In hindsight, boy am I embarrassed by my snobbery. I really, really, really liked this place. Sure, the carpet is worn and a the decor and bedspreads a little shabby, but if you can put that aside, you will find something much more charming and valuable than all the marble baths and decorator window treatments you can imagine. This place is real. The physical property is humble, but the owners are doing a marvelous job creating a place that provides a clean, comfortable, welcoming bed and breakfast at an amazingly low cost. Specifically:
- The Inn is spotlessly clean and the grounds are well maintained.
- The pool is lovely.
- The family who owns the Inn are pleasant, helpful and sincere.
- The breakfast is simple, but well thought out. A variety of cereals and sliced English muffins, mini bagels and breads (including, for example, whole grain bread, not just white), doughnuts, good coffee from one of those machines that makes one perfect cup from extract in your choice of brew styles or flavors. Cartons of half-and-half, not just tiny pull tab containers. My only suggestion is to consider providing hard-boiled eggs for the carb-conscious.
- The location is just minutes from the center of Pittsfield, which has some terrific restaurants (we especially loved Brix) and the Pittsfield Colonials Independent League Baseball Team (owned by the City of Pittsfield).
All in all, I was charmed, and now, my all too spoiled children know what a motel is. Or at least, what a motel used to be, back in the day . . .
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Berkshire Inn, is centrally located in the Beautiful Berkshires and downtown Pittsfield, We are within walking distance to beautiful historical downtown Pittsfield. We are short drive to many local venues and sight seeing locations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Odigeo, Hotels.com and Ebookers so you can book your Berkshire Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Berkshire Hotel Pittsfield