“Our home away from home in the Berkshires”
Review of White Horse Inn

White Horse Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Pittsfield B&B and Inns
Danbury, Connecticut
“Our home away from home in the Berkshires”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We have been staying at the White Horse every summer for about 7 years now. Originally we chose it because we could not get a B&B closer to Lenox for the concerts at Tanglewood, however we kept coming back due to the hospitality of the owners, Gary, John and Gina McGovern. The home is a lovely historic house within walking distance to the beautifully revitalized downtown Pittsfield. The home is simply but tastefully decorated and very clean! I always say I get the best nights sleep on their very comfortable beds and luxurious bedding. Breakfast is homemade every morning - a hot frittata, quiche or French toast - and there are plenty of organic cereals, fresh fruit and yogurt to choose from. The McGoverns are also extremely accommodating and will allow guests use of the outdoor deck for your own BBQ or to sit outside in the evening with a glass of wine. I sooo look forward to summers and staying at The White Horse!

Room Tip: The back of the house has less street noise.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
jpatmcgov, Owner at White Horse Inn, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Guests,
Thank you so much for your review of your stay at the White Horse Inn. I really appreciate you taking time from your busy schedule to give us feedback, and I am so glad that you enjoyed your time with us. We are delighted that you have come back to stay with us for so many years, and we are looking forward to your next visit.
John

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Warwick, Rhode Island
Reviewed 14 April 2014

This is a clean and comfortable little B&B in Pittsfield. The rooms are clean and well maintained. The location is close to downtown and is ideal if you want to explore many local attractions.

The inn keeper is very welcoming and friendly. He even gave us a free upgrade to a King size room because it was empty! The homemade warm breakfast (in addition to a very good selection of fruits and cereals) was just yummy!

The only downside is that the property is a little old, and it shows. The decor is minimalistic.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
jpatmcgov, Owner at White Horse Inn, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Dear Guests,
Thank you so much for coming to stay with us at the White Horse Inn, and thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. We are so glad that you found the inn to be clean and comfortable, and that you enjoyed the breakfast.
Our inn is 109 years old, but we work hard to keep our guest rooms clean, crisp and fresh. Our decor is, as you noted, simple and uncluttered.
Thank you again for your helpful comments.
Waltham, Massachusetts
Reviewed 10 February 2014

As a former resident of Pittsfield, I have traveled past the White Horse Inn many times and always wondered about it. And now I know, after spending this past weekend there. It is just as lovely inside as outside. The innkeeper, John, is terrific -- kind, accommodating and friendly. In addition, he is a fantastic cook and served us a breakfast that was on par with a great restaurant. Our room was spacious and the king sized bed was very comfortable. It's the whole package! My husband and I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David B
jpatmcgov, Owner at White Horse Inn, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Dear Guests,
Sincere thanks for reviewing your stay at the White Horse Inn. I appreciate you taking the time to tell us how you felt about your stay, and thank you for your very generous comments. It was a pleasure meeting you, and I look forward to having you stay with us again.

Boston, United States
Reviewed 28 January 2014

We spent a night in the Berkshires because we were visiting friends. We chose the White Horse Inn for its proximity to our friends, and for the positive reviews. We were not disappointed. The Innkeeper, John, was extremely kind and personable. The Inn is lovely - traditionally furnished and everything was very clean. We had a good sized room and had requested a king size bed. The mattress, pillows and linens were the best of any inn we have stayed in (and we stay in a lot of B&B's). The room had an additional warmer and we slept so comfortably. The homemade breakfast was terrific, with plenty of fruit, bread, cereal, yogurt and other sides available. Take our advice and take a break out in the Berkshires in the winter when there are fewer tourists in the area - stay at the White Horse and sleep well!

Room Tip: Go for the King Sized Bed!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
jpatmcgov, Owner at White Horse Inn, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Dear Guests,
Thank you so very much for your review of your stay at the White Horse Inn. It was very kind of you to take the time from your own busy schedules.
I am so glad that you found the bed comfortable and that you had a restful sleep. It is also great to hear that you enjoyed your breakfast. We are very happy to share recipes with our guests if you would like.
It was so nice to have you stay as our guests , and we look forward to seeing you again.
Hopkinton, MA
Reviewed 26 January 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our winter weekend at the White Horse Inn. John is a very gracious innkeeper and he makes staying at the Inn a comfortable experience. The Inn is a wonderful old house with lots of charm, and the location is great. We visited museums in North Adams and Williamstown to the north, and the Pleasant Valley Audubon site and Monument Mountain to the south. Each time we returned to the Inn in the afternoon, John had hot tea and cookies ready for us - very nice on this snowy and frigid weekend! Breakfast was delicious both mornings - great selection of breads, cereals, and fresh fruit along with a wonderful hot main course. We had a king room in the back of the house, and it was perfect - very comfortable bed, small sitting area, and very quiet. John knows all the restaurants and attractions in the area and can provide lots of information and recommendations. We highly recommend the White Horse Inn, and hope to stay there again in the future.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Judy C
jpatmcgov, Owner at White Horse Inn, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Dear Guests,
Thank you so much for writing a review of your stay at the White Horse Inn. I really appreciate that you took the time to write such a comprehensive review, and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. It's great that you were able to take in so much of what the Berkshires has to offer, even on a chilly January weekend (museums, hiking, great restaurants).
It was a real pleasure having you stay with us. I enjoyed chatting with you over a cup of hot tea, and I really hope that you will come back and stay with us again.
tripmasterflash
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Just another B&B, I thought, till the moment we arrived and I instantly felt right at home. John, the owner, was welcoming and friendly and just...there for us. We visited a couple of wineries in the area and John was prepared with corkscrew, wine glasses and cookies each night. It's an older home which makes it interesting to explore, yet very cheerful and clean. We stayed in the king size room on the 2nd floor in the back of the house. It was spacious, comfortable and had everything we could need for our two night visit in November. It was also a great location for getting around the Berkshires. We were in Pittsfield to meet the parents of my daughter's boyfriend and it was so wonderful to have a relaxing place to retreat to at the end of the day. I was sad to have to leave on Sunday but John invited my daughter and boyfriend to join us for breakfast that morning so we left on a really happy note. We will be back.
PS: We asked for a tour of all the rooms before we left and though I would have my favorites, there wasn't one I wouldn't stay in.

Room Tip: 2nd floor room in the back (I think 8?) was very quiet and comfy bed.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
jpatmcgov, Owner at White Horse Inn, responded to this review, 15 December 2013
Dear Guests,
Thank you so much for your very kind words. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the White Horse Inn. It was really nice having you stay with us, and I'm glad that your daughter and her boyfriend were able to come over and join you for breakfast.
I look forward to your next visit.
Hawthorne, New York
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Came up to MA for a trip and timeshare tour. Decided to stay at this lovely bed and breakfast. Best idea ever. Close to a main strip with great food and entertainment and all amenities stores you would need. John the innkeeper was amazing, had great recommendations for activities and eating and a GREAT breakfast. The inn and room was perfect. Perfect temperature and great size. Would definitely recommend and stay again.

Room Tip: Any room would be perfect.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Danielle C
jpatmcgov, Owner at White Horse Inn, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Dear Guests,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us at the White Horse Inn. I am so glad that you enjoyed your weekend. It was a pleasure having you be our guests. I'm delighted that you you were happy with my restaurant recommendation. The food at "Flavours" is fabulous and our guests have always been happy with their experience there.
I look forward to seeing you again.
John
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pittsfield
Hotel on North
Yankee Inn
Yankee Inn
#6 of 16 in Lenox
Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel

Been to White Horse Inn? Share your experiences!