“Horrible customer service & rundown”
Review of Bousquet Mountain

Bousquet Mountain
Wilmington, North Carolina
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 177 helpful votes
“Horrible customer service & rundown”
Reviewed 20 March 2013

I thought I was the only one who had negative experiences here, but apparently not. I bought some tickets last year and the girl who sold them to me said they would be valid for this year. So....I went to the ticket counter at the beginning of this season to make sure all was well with my cards, and lo and behold....all the days were missing from the 3 different cards I bought. They said they had some computer glitches last season which deleted the days from the cards. I had my receipts (fortunately) and apparently only 1 or 2 people there have the power to do anything when problems arise. I waited around 15 minutes before someone arrived (the owner I think) and she looked at me like I was creating all of these problems for them and it was a huge waste of her time to figure out what went wrong and how to correct it. She kept giving me the third degree and was rude about the entire matter. Finally....she gave up and told another woman to handle it and she figured out a way to add back days to my cards. I wasted over an hour of my time because of their mistake (computer issue) and I was the one who was made to feel bad about the situation. The woman working the counter was extremely nice and thanked me for being so patient. 2nd issue - about a week later, I used a $50 Bosquet gift card to buy $10 of food in the cafeteria. After the man swiped my card, he asked for the card again because he said it didn't go through the first time. I asked for my receipt and $20 was missing from the card, even though this was the first time I used the card and my total was $10. Logically thinking, one can assume the card went through the first time for $10 and then it was charged $10 again the 2nd time he swiped the card. Apparently the man running the counter had no power to do anything about it, so the same rude woman from the prior week appeared and gave me a mean stare and then said: "Well....how do we know you didn't already use the card?!?!". I was pissed at this point. I told her to contact her credit card company and ask them for a printout of all transactions for that card and she could figure it out in 5 seconds. And this is over $10. Does she really think a professional adult with his child is going to stand there and try to "steal" $10 from her?????? So she once again handed the card over to another woman (I think the same 2nd woman from the prior week) and that woman just added $10 back to the card. I let her know that I did not appreciate being considered a thief and a liar from the previous woman. 3rd issue - I wanted to enroll my child in the school lesson program (6 lessons), but she was sick the day the information was given out and I didn't find out about it until after the first lesson had passed. I called the ski school person and I asked her if there was anyway my child could be enrolled late and maybe have a pro-rated fee, or make up the lost class with a weekend class. She said no to both counts. She said we could sign up at full price and go to the remaining 5 weeks. BUT (and she didn't mention this).....it is cheaper to just buy 5 individual lessons than it would have been to pay for the six-week program in full. So we would have been better off just buying individual lessons at our convenience. Can someone expalin to me how any of that is customer friendly???

Beyond the above issues, the place is generally run down. The parking lot is horrible. The buildings are old and rundown. The lifts are not in good shape. They don't have enough snow making machines and they hardly use the ones they have. And they have already closed for the season (last day March 17th), even though at the time of closing, the temps were hardly predicted to get above freezing over the next 10 days with several days of snow forecasted. Other area resorts are predicting closing dates in April. It just makes no sense and it irritated me as we bought season passes this year.

The one thing this place has going for it is the location. Without the location (and good deals like $10 thursday pm), I doubt many people would ski there.

Visited March 2013
13 Thank hilburno

Springfield, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Bousquet needs to put money into their mountain”
Reviewed 26 February 2013

The mountain isn't what it used to be with the previous owner. The new owners obviously don't know how to run a mountain and it seems that they are just looking to make money and pocket it without putting it into their mountain.

The parking lot is a disaster, pot holes, mud, ice etc.... for a mountain that does as much business as it does should be paved so people don't have to drive through a mine field and mud pit.

The lodge, forget it if you want to bring your bag in so you can change into your ski equipment. There is not enough tables for anyone to change and store their gear like other mountains. What does that mean??? you have to either come dressed or change next to your vehicle and leave your bag in your car. This also means you have to walk across their nightmare parking lot with your ski boots getting all mud.

Ticket prices are fair considering what you are getting which is basically nothing.

Grooming is very poor and not even (all over the place).

Small chairlift is a joke with the bar in the middle which separates each person on the chair. Getting children who can't sit up on the chair themselves is very dangerous getting them on. My son can ride the chair but needs help getting on. So if you are a parent who needs to lift them up a little bit to get them on get ready to be smacked in the back of the arm with that bar in the middle. Once you get your child kind of on the chair you have to quickly reach around the bar to pull the child back so they don't fall off the chair.

6 week ski program is a joke and the most unorganized program we have ever seen. You spend $195 for 6 weeks, basically your best to just pay weekly for an hour lesson. My son started skiing this year and we decided to put him in a program to get the basics down, since he tends not to listen to people he knows. I have been a ski instructor at Brodie Mountain when it was open and have had 6 week programs throughout my teaching experience while the mountain was open. We had the same students each week, had to take attendance, logged their level and what they need to work on, was on a first name basis... it was very structured and organized. That being said what do you get at Bousquet? Nothing!! My son has had a different instructor every weekend with different students. The person running the Ski School just puts kids into his "group" who have just paid for the day. The instructor doesn't know the progress of my son so he spends half the lesson trying to figure out what he can do. Once he figures it out the lessons over, and have to go through the same thing the following week. This past week we waited until 1:15pm for an instructor to arrive (when the lesson was supposed to start at 1:00pm). Yet again it was a different one, and my son was teamed up with someone who couldn't even ski. So my son had to wait at least 15 mins to come down the run since the instructor was dealing with someone who couldn't ski. Then he dismissed the kids at 2:00pm when the lesson was supposed to go until 2:30pm??? I told him and he said, "I thought this was an hour lesson". I also said my son is in the 6 week program and he said, "I didn't know that". Great huh??? Line-up is supposed to be at 12:45, instructors don't line-up until 1:00pm which is when the lesson is supposed to begin. If you can get instructors to actually show up for the line-up. They had to radio for instructors since only 1 showed up and at least 10 kids were waiting.

So if you want an all around POOR experience go ahead and ski this mountain. If you live in Pittsfield like I do and want a more structured and organized ski program drive the hour and go to either Butternut or Catamount. Butternut doesn't have night skiing and Catamount does which is where we will be going next year. Jiminy Peak is a good mountain as well and had a much better childrens area but it expensive.

Sorry for the bad review, but it's obviously a horrible mountain now that the owner passed away. If you don't put money into your mountain then whats the point of having it? Also, it's not safe for kids with the bar in the middle of the small chairlift as well as having racers flying through the carpet area without slowing down...

Don't go here period.... once the program is over we are out of there.... Can't wait until next season skiing at Catamount, much better area very organized..

Visited February 2013
8 Thank anextremeskier
Massachusetts
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“In the Berkshires, Bousquet is fun!”
Reviewed 18 February 2013

When we are on vacation in Lenox, we take our kids to Bousquet. The little ones love the smaller waterpark area and slides and the older ones love the big slides. They like to take a break in the cafeteria area and play ping-pong, get a snack and cool off. It can be a little pricey but great to spend a day, esp. when it's 90+ degrees out! They close at 5 in the afternoon (I think) so go early enough to spend the day!

Visited August 2012
1 Thank SugarMuff
Canaan, New York
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Great deal, great skiing”
Reviewed 17 January 2013

$15 ($10 if you already have an access pass) for skiing from 3:00 to 9:00 p.m on Thursday evenings. What a deal! Not only that, but the lounge prices (drinks and food) are tasty and most reasonable, well under $10 per person. Friendly staff. Free checking of ski/snowboard equipment when taking a break from the slopes, and they refused a tip!

Visited January 2013
2 Thank rstauffer
Westfield, Massachusetts
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Chilly travler”
Reviewed 13 November 2012

loved the snow tube area... tons of fun... gotta love that magic carpet ... it is what you always wished you had as a kid!

2 Thank Sharkhunters