“A wonderful place for children (of all ages)”
Review of Berkshire Museum

Berkshire Museum
Ranked #4 of 26 things to do in Pittsfield
More attraction details
Owner description: Established by Zenas Crane in 1903, Berkshire Museum integrates art, history, and natural science in a wide range of programs and exhibitions that inspire educational connections between the disciplines. In association with the Smithsonian since 2013, Berkshire Museum is part of a select group of museums, cultural, educational, and arts organizations that share the Smithsonian's resources with the nation. Located in downtown Pittsfield, Massachusetts, at 39 South St., the Berkshire Museum is open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Saturday, and noon to 5 p.m. on Sunday. Admission is $13 adult, $6 child; Museum members and children age 3 and under enjoy free admission.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Stairs / lift, Baby buggy parking, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Perhaps one of the best thing about this wonderful museum is the commitment and interest of the staff. They are determined to learn about the museum itself and to get every visitor involved. We had a splendid afternoon at the museum recently with our seven year old granddaughter. They had a butterfly exhibit staffed with careful and caring museum professionals who were excited as we were about all the glorious creatures flying all around us (and perching on some!). Outside the exhibit was an activity room to reinforce the experience. We also stayed for a wonderful discussion about caterpillars led by one of the best facilitators I have ever experienced. After a two day visit to the Berkshires, our granddaughter identified her favorite: "THE BUTTERFLIES!"
This was not our first visit to this museum, nor will it be our last. We have been there for films, for the annual Christmas Tree exhibit, and many other occasions. It never disappoints.

1  Thank Ben050938

Reviewed 6 July 2014

My GF and I, and my friend and his wife and 4 year old son stopped by this museum while in the Berkshires. We were expecting it to be just a museum about the Berkshires: Native American, Colonial, maybe a little geology/geography. Boy, were we surprised! It is a medium-sized Natural History/Art/Cultural etc. museum with an smallish aquarium, too! Inside it is all new and fresh, with lots of natural light and lots of space in each display room to move about and view the exhibits. For art lovers, there are statues (some ancient), paintings (old and new, including a few Norman Rockwells), sculptures, artifacts, vases, etc. There is a dedicated geology room, as well as an "innovation hall". My friend's 4-year old was endlessly interested, so it is great for both children and adults. It is all very nicely done, and with it at only $13 for adults, I recommend it highly!

2  Thank SDiCastro
Reviewed 4 July 2014

This old fashioned museum in downtown Pittsfield has science, nature, history and art exhibits. Interesting, but nothing really outstanding. Nice basement aquarium, collections of watches, shoes, etc. that have been donated. We wanted to see their permanent art collection--2 or 3 rooms, some well known artists; Rockwell, Moran, Church and many unknown. One room of a few pieces of modern art--Calder, Ellsworth Kelly. Admission is $13 for adults but they are part of the North American Reciprocal Museums (NARM) so membership in one of those museums allows for free admission. A nice way to spend some time. Free street parking in front of museum.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Others have described the Berkshire Museum as a small local gem. I suppose this is true, but it is somewhat like damning with faint praise.
I have warm, nostalgic memories of the Berkshire Museum. As a kid, my parents took me to see what seeded like the most exotic wonders of the world. My recollection is that there was a mummy that drew the most interest from my friends and I. One standard of a Pittsfield public education was the obligatory school trip in 6th grade. It was great for that purpose. Later, I enjoyed numerous movies in the small theater. Most recently it served as a distraction for out-of-towners on a dank late-winter afternoon.
Despite these positive memories, I would be hard pressed to rate this collection as little more than adequate for its purpose. Don't expect an extraordinary facility. The physical plant is dated and cramped. It is a nice addition to the community, but not anything more.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

This place has something for everyone. We went especially for the collection of Hudson River School artists. We were enchanted by the walk-in live butterfly exhibit, some of the portraits (including a John Singer Sargent and a Gilbert Stuart), and the basement aquarium. There are also dinosaur exhibits and a lot of helpful staff and/or volunteers. You won't mix this place up with the Metropolitan Museum of Art or the Mystic Aquarium to be sure. But you will be surprised by the building itself, which has been there over 100 years, and the fun eclectic collections it contains. Parking can be an issue and you may have to circle around a bit before you find a spot. We were limited by the two hour spot we did find a couple of blocks away and could easily have spent more time there.