“Well worth your time”

Herman Melville's Arrowhead
Ranked #5 of 26 things to do in Pittsfield
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Closed for the season. Tours will start in May, 2017.
Portland, Maine
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 188 helpful votes
“Well worth your time”
Reviewed 28 July 2011

My family and I stopped here before heading to a concert at Tanglewood. It was my second visit, as I'd been over ten years before.

Arrowhead is not a large or a flashy home, but the Berkshire Historical Society has done an excellent job recruiting knowledgeable guides and gathering artifacts related to Melville, the home, and the Berkshires.

I have to commend my guide for his giving back-to-back tours in the heat. He never appeared tired of the subject or anxious to get it all over with. (The house, I should say, was relatively cool despite the extreme heat outside. If it's hot, don't stay away.) No questions stumped him either.

If you love Moby Dick or have only heard of it, I think you'll get a lot out of the house. At the very least, you'll have a greater understanding of Melville's life and, especially, his debts. If you like 18th- or 19th-century New England homes or architecture, you will adore the fireplace and dining room.

Visited July 2011

Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 115 helpful votes
“A must-see in the Berkshires!”
Reviewed 7 September 2007

We visited Arrowhead over Memorial Day weekend in 2007. We really enjoyed the tour ($15/adults) although you are not allowed to take pictures inside the house. I never read Moby Dick but still found the tour to be very interesting. I would recommend it to anyone into literature or history. We would have loved to venture to the top of Mt. Greylock but the public road system is closed for construction and set to reopen in 2009. At 3,491 feet, Mount Greylock is the highest point in Massachusetts. Trails are open so you could always hike to the top.

6 Thank luv2travel75