“I would rather camp in a tent. Seriously.”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Pittsfield
Reviewed 21 January 2011

I started looking for a place to stay this coming summer in Pittsfield and was quickly reminded not to waste time getting a reservation somewhere else. I stayed here last summer because it was the only place we could get a room and it was easily the worst hotel I've ever stayed in. There must have been mold in the a.c. ducts as I got a whopper of a sinus infection that ruined the trip for me. I hate to pile on to all the bad reviews but this place really is as bad as everyone says.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank MBCNY

Reviewed 4 November 2010

My Company had booked a room here for me for two nights as I had to work in the area. My reservations are always prepaid on a Coporate Card. When I arrived, I assume it was the Owner, insisted it wasn't paid for, and wanted the Corporate Card. I told him I don't carry a Corporate Card, and that the room had been paid in advance. He acted like I was trying to scam him, and had a horrible attitude. I spend months at a time on the road, and wasn't in the mood for this, so I told him to give me my Drivers License back, and we would cancel the two night stay. He balked at giving me my DL back, which sent me into a bit of a rage, so he gave it back. I went out to call my Office, and have them cancel and rebook me somewhere else. As I was starting to pull away, he came running out, "We find it!! We find it!!" I told him no you lost it, as we are canceling. I counted a total of three cars in the parking lot as I pulled out, you would think they would try a little harder to get your business. Their Corporate really needs to look into this place.

Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
5  Thank frameslider
Reviewed 20 September 2010

Let me start off by saying, I've stayed in many hotels/motels, some good...some bad but have never been compelled to write a review. This time it's different, DO NOT STAY AT THE TRAVELODGE PITTSFIELD!!! We chose to stay here because of the price and the location. First off, the location is horrible. It is in a very industrial neighborhood and does not seem safe. The price is horrible considering the service, cleanliness, location, etc.

When we first arrived in the lobby to check in..NO ONE was there. We rang the bell several times. After 20 minutes I decided to call the hotel number to see if anyone would pick up. A groggy voice answered and said he would be right down. Ten minutes later he came down with no shoes on and very disheveled, with no apologies for our wait. Finally he gave us a key and we entered our SMELLY, DIRTY room. I didn't walk around barefoot because of stains on the carpet, the AC was broken, and there was a doorway in the room that could not be opened from our side and had a lock on it...creepy.

We decided not to spend much time here and just used to sleep that night. We came and went a few times to change, get things, etc. EACH TIME WE WENT IN OR OUT OF OUR ROOM AN OLDER MAN WHO WORKED AT THE HOTEL WAS SOMEWHERE IN THE VACINITY OF OUR ROOM STARING AT US (a few doors down the hall above on the balcony). We would say hello how are you, and he would not respond just stare....TALK ABOUT CREEPY!!!!!!!!

Needless to say I had a horrible night sleep on the rock hard bed thnking about the staring guy who was wondering the hallways outside our room. We were out of there first thing in the morning...found a MUCH better hotel at a BETTER price in a BETTER neighborhood... STAY FAR AWAY FROM HERE!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank afi0920
Reviewed 14 August 2010

We took a 12-day road trip with the primary destination being an event in Maine. We weren't sure which route we would take home until the end of the trip so we were "flying blind" finding hotels. The reviews I found of this Travelodge were mixed, but we took a chance....lesson learned! Not knowing the area, we figured "how bad can it be for one night"....bad enough as it turned out. Traveling with a dog, we had the usual issue of finding dog-friendly hotels.

My husband called in the morning to book a room for that night. He told the woman at the desk that we had a small dog and requested a ground floor room; he was told that wouldn't be a problem. (I find it interesting that the hotel website now indicates that pets are not permitted)

After a long drive we arrived at the Travelodge and checked in. We were put in a 2nd floor room at the back of the hotel. When my husband questioned this, he was told there were no ground floor rooms available...please note that we saw about a dozen cars in the lot...the hotel was definitely not full. My husband noted that in the breakfast area there were doughnuts/pastries left from breakfast....he couldn't help but wonder if they'd still be there in the morning.

We entered the room and while it wasn't terrible, it was a bit depressing. Dark colors and uninspired. The bathroom had obviously been redone, but there was mold around the wall at the top of the tub. There were pieces of pretzel on the floor so while the room may have been vacuumed, it wasn't done well. The ceiling looked like it could collapse as it was uneven and I don't know what the "black stuff" was on the panels but it wasn't pleasant-looking.

The hotel website indicates high-speed wireless internet. We were unable to log on and finally I called the front desk. To be honest, I had difficulty hearing just what the desk clerk said, but it was along the line of asking what room we were in(?) and then something about it being in the office and it was locked.

The area seemed a bit "iffy" and neither of us felt comfortable taking our dog out alone late at night. While I realize the hotel doesn't have control over that, putting us at the back of the hotel when there were few guests in the hotel and not having better lighting didn't help the situation.

We do not recommend this hotel and would not stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank maicakid
Reviewed 13 July 2010

This is not your crisp and clean motel that you might expect from Travelodge. Its main appeal is location and value near Tanglewood. The staff works hard to keep this tired motel going and have done a decent job with the condition and age of the units. Everything works, AC, hot water, locks, etc, but the place could use further investment. It was clean, but worn and the price reflects its location and not great value. Most places near Tanglewood charge a good deal more and demand multiple nights and this place will do for a night to avoid a long drive after an evening concert.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 October 2009

Look, prices for lodging in the Pittsfield area are relatively high. If you don't want to spend a fortune, you don't need anything fancy, and you want to stay in Pittsfield, this isn't a bad choice. When we were in PIttsfield, we did see some independent motels that probably aren't listed on line and may go for the same price as the Travellodge, but since we were there during peak leaf season, we wanted to make reservations ahead of time.

There's nothing fancy about it, but the place was clean, safe, and comfortable. A bonus was that the bed was very comfortable. There's free wi-fi and 800 calls are free. Wish there had been a breakfast, but with McD's and Friendly's right across the street, it was a no-brainer. I mean, they'd have to put on quite a spread at another motel for me to pay the extra $60 that included breakfast.

I'm glad we stayed there. If you're cheap and you need basic lodging, this is just fine. If you're on your honeymoon or want something really nice, pay the extra money and go somewhere else.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 September 2009

My family wouldnt even get out of the car, If this is not a welfare hotel, then it must be a homeless shelter.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Steve B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pittsfield
3 mi away
Hilton Garden Inn Lenox Pittsfield
Yankee Suites Extended Stay
Yankee Suites Extended Stay
#5 of 8 in Pittsfield

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!