“Some interesting artifacts”

Pilgrim Hall Museum
Ranked #3 of 70 things to do in Plymouth
More attraction details
Owner description: America's oldest public museum is dedicated to the preservation and presentation of both Native American and Pilgrim artifacts.
Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

I was reluctant to take my children as I was concerned they wouldn't have much interest in seeing some "old stuff" as they would say. Boy was I wrong! The museum had a "scavenger hunt" of sorts for children. The kids thoroughly enjoyed exploring the museum at their own pace while seeking out the answers to the scavenger hunt questions. It made the museum come to life for them, all while making learning fun.

The wife and I were left to explore the museum at our pace. Which we also enjoyed.

Although the museum it not large, we ended up staying about 2 1/2 exploring.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Plymouth Rock can be a bit of a disappointment but this museum is not. The museum is set up very well to guide the visitor through the history of what inspired the Pilgrims to make their journey, to the Native Americans that had already been living on the land, how the two communities learned to live together, and how their relationships and communities developed through the 17th century. The historical movie the museum shows is excellent and includes commentary from historians. A separate exhibit houses many paintings that have been made of the pilgrims - of their crossing and of the "first Thanksgiving". This is a beautiful room for anyone who is an art enthusiast. It also houses a portion of Plymouth Rock which you are encouraged to touch (unlike the rock by the bay that is fenced off). I highly recommend making this museum a part of your trip to Plymouth.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

I'm glad we made the trip to Plymouth to see this museum. It doesn't glorify the Pilgrims and points out that there were actually other people on the boat as well. There was a special exhibit about a young soldier from Plymouth in the Civil War which was very well presented and very interesting. This is not a children's museum and, as a result, the atmosphere is calm and quiet. You could spend several hours studying the artefacts. Well worth the visit. The gentleman at the front desk is a definite asset to the museum. He is obviously passionate about the history and encouraged us to enjoy the museum. The bonus is free parking behind the museum.

Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

This is a very small museum, but the exhibits make it extremely worthwhile. My husband and I enjoy history and we learned new things about the history of Plymouth and the Pilgrims. There are objects on disolay that belonged to the original pilgrims. We are also interested in the Civil War, so we found that exhibit moving as well. Be sure to see the short film downstairs before looking at the exhibits. Very worth the time and money. There is also a AAA discount.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

Let me say first, this museum is wonderful, small, informative, friendly, history & Plymouth History. I love this any ol' time. I had my grandchildren, twin 7 yr olds. I didn't know what to expect, they'd either love the hunt or get bored with the displays. Guess what? (that's my grandson's favorite saying)...they loved it! We got the appropriate age scavenger hunt & boy, was that a hit. They both loved finding the items & then knowing what they meant! I explained the history & that made it more interesting! For adults, very easy, low key, informative...I love it even though I've been there multiple times!

1  Thank seasnowcs