“Cranberries”
Review of Colonial Lantern Tours - CLOSED

Colonial Lantern Tours
Reviewed 20 October 2012

I went on the tour with my teenage children and we thought it was very good. We arrived a 10 minutes late due to traffic but thankfully the tour was still there. The tour guides were very knowledgeable and the drivers were very nice. We saw bogs and even went on to them where we could pick cranberries and try out the old fashioned cranberry picker instrument. It was Educational, Interesting and FUN. Then we made our way to the farmer where a real Cranberry grower told us all about Cranberry History, Growing & Harvesting. Then we were invited into the Store which had a presentation of the old cranberry machinery. Also there were wonderful Cranberry items for sale. I bought Cranberry Tea which I can't wait to try, Cranberry Soap which smells wonderful and a few other items. It was a wonderful tour and I can't wait to go back next year : )

Reviewed 18 October 2012

The price was right,being a special,and the tour guide knew how to track down the harvesting. I could see that the berry harvesting is a business that moves quickly and doesn't lend itself to preparing ahead to be at a specific place to see the operation. That being said, we were not told of a change in the meeting place but the people at Flax Farm were gracious to find out for us where to meet up with the guide. We found the guide to be very knowledgeable.

This is something that works better with a guide explaining the operation and leading you to the sites. The farms are free but that doesn't mean that they are harvesting when you arrive. The guide knew how to find the harvesting sites. We are not from the area and would have no idea how to get around alone. Our guide gave us a map but we followed him. The maps are for just in case we got separated. He actually watched out for out group.

We got to pick some cranberries. The guide gave us a bag of berries each and a package of dried berries. I am looking forward to making some fresh cranberry sauce. I was satisfied with the experience but it sounded as if the guide knew his short comings and was working to improve the organization.

1  Thank yellowbirdVermont
Reviewed 15 October 2012 via mobile

Tour prices was ko since we went through Travelzoo coupon. No way would we pay the the full price for a tour of this quality. We showed up early and thought we'd have some sense of organized directions from the tour company. Some woman took our voucher and no on every asked for it again. We could have walked in off the street for free as I know some people did. The tour started 25 minutes late. We walked around the bog, saw some harvesting going on, and learned some interesting facts. However, we were told that going to a secod farm, we could see an old machine farmers used to use to seperate cranberries. We were then told that by going to a third farm we could harvest cranberries ourselves. We had some vague directions from one of the guides that were ok. We finally picked some of our own and were finished pretty quick. This tour was unorganized and certainly not worth the price even with the coupon. We did end up with a good amount of cranberries. I'm sure there are better tours out there. Better yet, do some research yourself and go on your own time.

Reviewed 14 October 2012

My husband and I attended the Cranberry Farm Tour this past weekend. It was beyond awful. The tour was extraordinarily unorganized. We arrived about 30 minutes early and were directed to a woman in a yellow jacket who was supposed to lead our tour. She told us to go to another farm where the tour would begin. Her directions were literally "Go down the street and turn left, then turn right, then turn left onto Route 58 and you'll find the farm, you can't miss it." We are not familiar with the area and we passed several bogs on the way to the correct farm. We eventually had to call the tour company who told us to go back to the first farm in order to get directions. After telling the woman on the phone that we would not go back to the first farm she finally gave us the name of the cranberry farm we were looking for and we managed to find it via our own GPS.
The situation at the second cranberry farm was not much better than the situation at the first farm. A woman gave us Google Maps directions back to the first farm and told us to head there. When we told her we had been there and had been told to come to the second farm she told us to find another guide. When we finally found the second guide he told us our tour would begin in 10 minutes and to walk around and just check out the farm in the mean time. After walking around for a bit we noticed a large group gathered around him so we went over to hear what we thought would be a tour. Instead, he told the group that the tour would begin in another 20 minutes. At this point both my husband and I were extraordinarily frustrated but the farm was harvesting cranberries in the bog so decided to just take some photos and try to enjoy our time there. Our tour finally started over 30 minutes late. We were told to split into two groups, one group was to head back to the first farm and come back to the second farm. We decided to stay at the second farm. The tour itself was mediocre. He explained some facts about cranberries and how the harvesting process works. The group was so large that you pretty much had to fight to get a space close enough to hear what he was saying. When the tour ended we headed back to the first farm.
At the first farm, the tour was pretty much non-existent. A woman who worked at the farm showed us how an old cranberry sorting machine worked and a tour guide told us about how cranberry juice made her more "regular," I am not joking. We then got to walk around unguided and just stare at a field of cranberries. Utterly fascinating. We knew there was supposed to be a picking part of the tour so we tried to find a guide to tell us where to go to go picking. The first guide we found had no idea where we should go or if there was any cranberry picking. She told us to ask another guide. We weren't able to find another one for a little while but were able to stop one as she came out of the bathroom. She reluctantly gave us directions to the third farm and said we could go if we "really wanted to."
When we arrived at the third farm we were shocked to find that the tour group was already about half a mile ahead of us. We got out of our car and hustled to catch up with the group. By the time we caught up, any explanation of the site was done and people were already picking cranberries. We got to pick cranberries which was okay I guess, but it was really unacceptable that we had to struggle to find information about how to get to that part of the tour. I would say when we started the tour there were over 100 people, there were maybe 30 people at the cranberry picking, several of whom commented on how hard it was to find out how to get there. It was absolutely astonishing how poorly the whole thing was run.
We did get our free fresh and dried cranberries which is better than a lot of people, I know they ran out shortly after we got ours. They never collected our Groupon so we really could have had the whole horrible experience for free. Under no circumstances would I recommend this tour.

3  Thank Steph H
See more reviews
Reviewed 13 October 2012

My friend and I purchased a travel zoo voucher for the Cranberry Farm Picking Experience. We were excited to experience pick our own cranberries and learning more about the process. We arrived at 1:40pm (for the 2pm tour) at The Berry Guys and weren’t told or shown where to go, but happily followed a group who were watching workers in a cranberry bog. At about 1:55 (when we weren’t sure where to go) we found a woman in a yellow jacket collecting tickets (groupon and travel zoo) and we asked her where to go. She replied, “there should be a man in a yellow jacket over there”. We told her he wasn’t there and she looked at her watch and said, “wow he is cutting it close”. We went back over to wait, and finally at 2:10 (with no further instruction) we saw her handing out mapquest directions. She instructed us to drive about 10 minutes to ANOTHER farm where the tour would start. This was very frustrating as she seemed to have no clue what she was doing, and people were complaining they had already been at that farm and told to come here. We started walking to our cars where we spotted “Tom” in his yellow jacket, apparently 15 minutes late. He said this woman didn’t know what she was talking about and we should stay there. He left (after telling us to wait) and finally after 10 minutes we walked to find him. We were very confused as there was no direction, and he said they were very overwhelmed so people could either stay here, go to the second farm, or wait an hour to go to a THIRD farm to pick cranberries. It was also frustrating because the first two farms were completely free (people were driving in off the street to visit and learn more about the cranberries) so why pay for this “tour”? Needless to say it was VERY unorganized and Tom was VERY rude and not helpful in explaining the situation. When a woman asked for a refund, the woman had no idea who to call because “she didn’t work for the company”. Completely unprofessional and a true disappointment. Needless to say I will not be recommending Colonial Lantern Tours.

4  Thank Lovetotravel352