“Appetizers fab; steak not so much”

Alden Park Bar and Grill
Ranked #53 of 204 Restaurants in Plymouth
Price range: US$15 - US$35
Cuisines: American, Bar, Contemporary
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Bar Scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Commerce Way
Description: Fantastic interior design and menu that has something for everyone----we live nearby and are thrilled with this addition to our area dining.
Plymouth, Massachusetts
“Appetizers fab; steak not so much”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We've been to Alden Park (husband & I and with friends) several times and it's the appetizers, atmosphere and outdoor space that keep us going back, but the food has been hit-and-miss. The Asian lettuce wraps are the only thing we've found that are consistently to-die-for, and we always order them. The oysters are pretty yummy, too. I would never order a steak again, though - have tried two different ones and both were overpriced, bland and tough, and overcooked (the first time, I nicely advised the waiter of this and he replaced my steak with an equally overcooked one; the second time I was in too much of a hurry to take issue with it). Fellow diners agreed. Companions' chicken and pasta dishes were ok and generous. And although the service has been great, the servers don't tell you that they charge you extra for every little thing they suggest adding. Kind of pricey for what you get. May try a Sunday brunch, anyway...

• Visited February 2014

Wayland, Massachusetts
“What a Find!”
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We were driving down Route 3 towards the Cape, wanted to take a break (near the highway) and my iPad-savvy wife found this place. It's easy to get to, but not necessarily easy to find! It's in a huge village-mall environment. But if you look for the neon-ish vertical blue lights, you can figure it out.

More to the point, the food was excellent, the service the same (thank you, Brittany). I had an encrusted cod dish; my wife, the crab cakes. Yummo. The decor was surprisingly upscale and contemporary, and the prices were pretty much what we expected. We'd definitely go back there if we were in the neighborhood.

NOTE: I always hate answering the Trip Advisor question "Is this one of the best meals...?" I don't know. Maybe. That's a lot of meals to compare -- at a lot of restaurants, many of which were much more upscale. Let's put it this way: it was much better than we expected for a mall restaurant, and I don't think you'll be disappointed. A very pleasant surprise. (And there's a Coldstone next door.)

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Steve T
Abington, Massachusetts
“Gluten free disaster”
Reviewed 13 March 2014

This was my 3rd time eating at Alden Park, however, the first time since I was diagnosed with a Severe Gluten Allergy. I called ahead to inquire if they had a gluten free menu. They said no, but had many items on the menu that are gluten free.

When I arrived, I was very disappointed at the amount of items that were gluten free - as there were no mains on that menu. I asked if they could do the salmon GF - the waiter came back and said you had run out of salmon since it was Sunday and it was a "busy weekend." The Salmon and the lettuce wraps come with a soy glaze - I KNOW soy sauce has gluten in it. I enquired about the Lettuce Wraps and was told by the waiter that it is not the soy glaze that has the gluten, but the crunchy noodles on the top. Great - I ordered it, as did my sister-in-law - hers not gluten free.

When the meals came - I noticed as I was eating it - and it was very plain and not tasting very interesting - that I had no sauce at all on it - and my Sis-in-law had plenty of sauce and said hers was delicious. By the time the waiter came to see if we were ok - which was quite some time - I had resigned myself to just eat it. When he did come over - my husband asked him about the sauce - as he had said the soy glaze did not contain gluten, - and there was also supposed to be a peanut sauce with it. He went back into the kitchen - and told me the only sauce that was Gluten free was a spicy chili sauce, "did you want that?". I said yes, he brought that - with less than 1/3 of my meal left - i finished it.

I felt lousy that night - I am even wondering if the spicy chili sauce had gluten in it?

My impression - is that the waiter had no clue about what Gluten free is - nor the hazards to people who have SEVERE Gluten Allergies when they eat it.

I will not be eating at your restaurant again, nor recommending it to my friends. You need to take this Gluten thing seriously. I know many people just do it as a diet - to lose weight - but there are many more of us that don't have a choice - and will get sick if we eat it, and will frequent restaurants that take good care of us!!

I also sent an email to Brian the manager 3 days ago - and received no reply!

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank joyful93
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
“Amending my previous review of Alden Park”
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I had previously written a scathing review of Alden Park in Colony Place, Plymouth, Ma. The owner did send us a gift card because of our bad service and I really never thought I'd use it. But, fortunately I did. When we arrived I found that the manager that had been so rude to me was no longer employed here. And with talking with some of the staff it didn't seem like he was missed. My meal and service was fantastic and we have been back many times since. It goes to show how the employees can make or break a restaurant.

• Visited January 2014
4 Thank Marybeth R
hingham, MA
“Boring”
Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

3 of us had pretty ordinary lunches. One big complaint. I ordered grilled shrimp with my caesar salad. I got 4 little sad, boiled rubbery things. All in all a boring bland meal.