“Fun walking tour with the family”
Review of Jenney Museum

Jenney Museum
Ranked #1 of 25 Tours in Plymouth
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Historic Educational Plymouth Tours and Educational Programs. Your Journey into History Begins Here! Meet Leo Martin, local historian and tour guide, who will take you back in time as he tells stories of struggles, survival, and faith that set the cornerstones of our country. Discover Plymouth's History - a Walking Tour: Hear about the people, places, and events that shaped the beginning of our country as you walk through the historic district of Plymouth. Reservations required. Forefathers Monument Tour - This hidden gem is the largest free standing solid granite monument in our country. The faith of the Pilgrims will become real to you as you learn what each of the five statues represents. Beginning with Faith, hear the faith story of the Pilgrims all in one spot. Conversations with a Pilgrim: Educational programs with Leo Martin and Goodwife Patience. Learn about all aspects of the Pilgrim family including economics, education, government, and faith. Christian Heritage Tours: If the faith story is what you want to hear, this tour is for you. All tours require a reservation. Visit our website for tour times and information about our tours and programs. Open seasonally.
Allentown, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Fun walking tour with the family”
Reviewed 30 November 2013

Despite a blustery day in Plymouth, we bundled up and had a nice walk with Leo thru several landmarks on and off the beaten path. Leo made each step interesting with little known Pilgrim facts.

Visited November 2013
3 Thank Patricia M

New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“More Political than I Expected”
Reviewed 29 November 2013

I will start this by saying that I didn't go on the full walking tour; instead, I sat in a room before going into the Grist Mill. In this room, I sat and watched a video wherein Leo, clothed in period garb, explained the beginnings of the Plymouth colony.
Leo is certainly enthusiastic about his subject. I think of him as an example of what the Pilgrams would be like if they'd existed today.
The video was interesting, but I really would have liked to know about the diatribe against socialism at the end beforehand. It wasn't until afterwards I found out the whole "Plymouth colony was an early example of a failed experiment in Socialism" is a common Conservative argument. I honestly thought what he was describing didn't match Socialism, but that's another thing altogether. Also, he didn't bring up Mercantilism, but I suppose he didn't have to. Maybe he would if I'd had a chance to talk with him?
One thing that really bugged me, however, was when he ignored the fact that the Native people did not have a concept of land ownership, so the Pilgrams couldn't have fairly traded wapum (of which he gave a fairly simplified explanation, imo) for the land.
All in all, it was interesting, but I would have preferred to be prepared for the highly political ending to the DVD. However, we had the option to stop it whenever we wanted, and perhaps it would have been better if I'd had a chance to pick his brain.
I'd recommend it, just be prepared for the rant at the end beforehand.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank Hycanith
jenneymuseum, Director of Education at Jenney Museum, responded to this review, 15 February 2014
First I would like to thank you for coming to the Museum and watching the video and for your comments. I am sorry I was not there to respond to you in person.
The Pilgrims were forced into a communal existence by the people financing the trip. William Bradford and the other leaders of the community knew that this system would not work. Bradford knew that if people were rewarded for their hard work they would be more productive.
The wampum was used as currency in exchange for goods like furs, cloth, and tobacco, not the purchase of land. This use of currency allowed them to expand their trading opportunities and financially saved the community. These are all facts found in a book "Of Plymouth Plantation" written by Governor William Bradford, the second governor of the Plymouth Colony. Facts can also be found in a book called "Mourt's Relation" written by William Bradford and Edward Winslow, the third governor. These are primary sources. I would be happy to talk with you about these issues if you would like. The phone number at the Museum is 508-747-4544. Thank you again for visiting. Leo Martin
Tyler, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Wonderful Tour”
Reviewed 28 November 2013

In September 2013, Leo Martin took us on a tour of Plymouth. Leo is an expert on the Pilgrims and the founding of this country. I rate this walking tour at the top of all those I have taken over the years. Start your visit to Plymouth with this tour.

Visited September 2013
2 Thank D C
Bradford West Gwillimbury, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great Walking Tour!”
Reviewed 20 November 2013

We visited the Jenney Museum and went on the Plymouth Walking Tour with Leo Martin. It was an incredible experience. We walked through Plymouth and heard so many stories of those brave early settlars but also received information with deep respect for the Native Americans who helped them stay alive, especially that first winter. Our visit to The Mayflower would not have been so impactful if we had not first experienced this amazing tour. So my advice? Take the Walking Tour first, then visit the Mayflower. You will be amazed at the tenacity of the Pilgrims and thankful for their faith in God that helped them pave the way for those of us who are privileged to live in North America.

Visited September 2013
3 Thank Jackie D
New England
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“An absolute must”
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Thank you TripAdvisor reviewers - on your recommendation we took this tour - and we are so happy we did. A wonderful first stop for visiting Plymouth.
We had never taken a walking tour before and were hesitant with two children under 10 - but I have to say that this tour was definitely one of the highlights of our trip. It is an hour or so walking tour of moderate difficulty with some hills - but the pace is slow enough. The guide - Mr. Martin, mixes humor with history and the combination is memorable. He also included our children quite a bit and kept their interest throughout. And he didn't mind answering lots and lots of questions. It was truly an effortless way to have a great history lesson!

The walk was very picturesque, and hit on all the important sites. We took the heritage tour but he also does some other tours which we didn't have time for. I felt that the rates were reasonable, and allowed us to spend some money at the gift shop at the end of the tour!

Make a reservation in advance (by phone), and try to make this your first stop.

Visited October 2013