“I have learned we are not B&B folks...”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Plymouth
Whitfield House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #8 of 18 Plymouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 July 2014

First time at a B&B with my husband and two daughters - I may have had unrealistic expectations. I thought there might be a small common room or a lock on the bedroom door. Nope. Rooms are quaint, beds comfortable and a step back in time (which is fun when visiting America's Hometown) but has a very strange layout; perfect for families but I can't imagine anyone other than families staying in these two rooms given the only thing separating the rooms is a French door that did not appear to have a lock. There is a screen in the hallway to give the impression of a "private" bath separate from the owners. My daughters (15 & 11 and well traveled) were freaked out that their door kept creaking open in the middle of the night with the wind - it didn't seem to latch tightly or have a lock then at 3:00 am the screen fell over with a huge bang. I didn't sleep a wink that night. I'm sure the owners are lovely people but there is something unsettling about staying with your children with people you don't know with a door that won't stay shut. The location is wonderful and it seems to be a very pretty house - we just didn't get to see any of it. You are meant to stay in your room. Overall, I think this scared us off B&Bs, we were uncomfortable and awkward. Barbara did serve nice breakfasts both mornings.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank schellgirl

Reviewed 8 July 2014

The first night we got there it was raining and Barbara and Brian met us outside with umbrellas. She showed us around the place and our room, and then we didn't see her until breakfast the next morning, which was delicious. Barb is extremely pleasant, we ate breakfast and made small talk all of the three mornings. It's located on one of the main streets in Plymouth, so you can walk any direction to find shops or restaurants. If you like historic sentiment this is the place to stay. It's not an overly pampering place but it is beautiful and quaint for a long
weekend stay.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 24 June 2014

This was my first stay in a B&B, so I was looking forward to it for our 2-nights in Plymouth. The house is a charming, beautiful, old house with many amazing antiques. The bed was very comfortable and the sister-brother duo were accommodating and easy to talk to.
The first breakfast was just okay but the 2nd breakfast we had was delicious. Even though the B&B is on a slight hill, it is right inbetween the 2 main streets of Plymouth. It was literally minutes to the Rock and the oceanfront, as well as to the upper street for better restaurants and stores.
The only negatives for me were the strange layout of the upstairs, and that there was no fan or A/C. We had to walk through one room (which they couldn't obviously rent) to get to the room we rented; I guess it would be perfect for a family. Also, (I guess you'd call it) the hallway where our bathroom door was had a screen dividing it from the room of the owner of the house. It felt a little awkward. I did not ask for a fan, and maybe should have, though once we opened up the windows to our room it was pleasant and cool enough to sleep comfortably. Maybe they turn on the A/C later in the summer.
All in all, I'd recommend this place for a short stay. Not many B&B's have 2 beds in a room, and although they were twin beds, they were quite comfortable, as I said. There are 2 other rooms with large, impressive 4 poster beds. Another friend stayed downstairs in one of them and said it was quite comfortable too.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 September 2013

My partner and I were looking for an inn in Plymouth, MA with character and charm but not dusty and fussy the way some inns can be. The Whitfield House is the perfect blend of a stunning historic house ideally located- impeccably maintained and furnished combined with the ease and comfort of welcoming, low key proprietors. From the wonderfully soft bedding in our elegantly decorated room to the warm scones at breakfast- everything was perfect. The prices are very reasonable too! The hosts of this inn are warm and respectful. For any traveler looking for a a first rate B and B in historic Plymouth- the Whitfield House is a must. A+++

Room Tip: The first floor suite off the kitchen is large and super charming.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mike L
Reviewed 29 July 2012

I had booked a two-week stay at his B&B for my daughter, who was attending an all-day art's camp, and had no break for lunch, so a good breakfast was a MUST. More than several times during our stay, I found posted on our door, a sign, which said, "NO BREAKFAST TODAY. HELP YOURSELF TO CEREAL." Of course, cereal was not enough to tide my daughter over for a full day of meals, and that is NOT what we had paid for. My daughter came down with SEVERE migraines on those days. And on those days, the WHOLE house smelled like Marijuana!!! And dear Barb had her Rastafarian boyfriend over...it was very disturbing. I would NEVER reccomend this place to a friend, nor look back at this as a fond memory. Additionally, on the days that Barb DID show up for breakfast, all she did was complain about her job, and how she wished she were back in California, and how she hated polishing the silver, and, yada, yada, yada, and poor her. Someone PLEASE send this woman back to California where she belongs, smoking pot, and hanging out with the Rastas!!! She does NOT belong in the B&B industry!

Room Tip: Run away!!!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank robynne b
Reviewed 18 March 2012

A girls' weekend. A lovely, historic home. Yummy breakfasts. Walking distance to antique stores, boutiques & great coffee shop. Yay, us!

What a delight to find reasonably priced accommodations in this charming 18th century house! The decor has been preserved or painstakingly restored and the furnishings are authentic without sacrificing comfort. Our hosts were warm & welcoming.

I heartily recommend The Whitfield House for couples and friends getaways.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank LindyHikes
Reviewed 17 September 2011

We spent two lovely nights at the Whitfield House, Barb was a special Lady who could cook a great breakfast. Felt right at home, Everything was in walking distance. We would have walked if not for the rain. Great stay! Brian and Lyn Kilgore

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple