“Hidden Gem!”

Price range: US$5 - US$16
Cuisines: Mexican, Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, View, Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Description: Known for our fabulous food, and views. A taste for everyone.
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Stopped by for lunch while traveling through and glad I did! To start, we were there the first Friday after local schools closed for the season so the whole area was busy. I was afraid we wouldn't get parking but the restaurant has free, off street parking! When we walked in most of the tables were full save a couple that needed to be bused before the next guest could sit down. This is a busy spot and they only had two waitresses on duty so it took a few minutes for us to be seated. However, it was worth the wait as we got a spot on the patio overlooking Plymouth Bay.

This place has a quick, casual (almost diner) feel. The service was sufficient and friendly but don't expect to see your server more than a couple times. As for food, I had the fish sandwich- a great choice! It was just a plan hamburger bun, and the lettuce and tomato were unappealing, but the fish filet made up for it. The fish was fried to perfection with a light and crispy batter. The onion rings are also quite good. My friend got the cranberry walnut salad which she also enjoyed. She also requested a side of fries ($3) which were just okay.

All in all, it was a good visit to Carmen's Cafe. I would certainly go back and recommend trying it if you're in the area. Just go into it thinking "diner with a view" and you'll be all set!

1  Thank Beth M

Reviewed 26 June 2014

Stopped by for breakfast on the waterfront. Ordered eggs Benedict, one of my favorites. Was not disappointed in the taste, but the dish wasn't appetizing. A bit carelessly assembled, I'd have to say. Restaurant is intimate and the view of the Plymouth harbor is, well you know how wonderful water scenes are. Coffee was extra flavorful. Waitress was friendly. Will be back....

1  Thank SHHS_11
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I've been to Carmen's Café Nicole a few times and ordered something different each time. They have a very different breakfast menu which is great when you are seeking a variety. I've had sausage and biscuits, the French toast, breakfast burrito, and the normal breakfast favorites. Each time everything was very fresh and delicious. The new location at Ellis Haven Camp Ground is worth checking out as well. Fast friendly service and great food!

1  Thank FamilyGuy02184
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Dropped into Carmen's Cafe Nicole last week for breakfast with my wife and (soon-to-be) 3 year old son. We have been to Carmen's several times over the years and considered it to be the best breakfast in the area (with a great view). This time however, was difference.

I ordered my favorite, Huevos Rancheros, and I was quite dissapointed this time. In the past the dish was served steaming hot and the plate chock full of great stuff. This time, the dish had a view problems. First, the corn tortillas that everything is layered on. They were so over-toasted that I could barely cut them with my knife. Ideally, the tortillas are only warmed and remain pillowy and soft. The dish was also missing the corn bread that they normally serve. The eggs were cooked fine but everything arrived luke warm. The bottom line for this dish: Thrown together and slopped on the plate. Dissapointing.

My wife ordered the California Omelet which she said was "fine", but she's not nearly as persnickety as I am.

We ordered a child-sized single blue berry pancake with a bacon slice. This was fine but it came out a few minutes after our dishes arrived, awkward with a two year old but not the end of the world.

One redeeming quality was the service, the young waitress was friendly and attentive (there were two other singles eating and reading the paper, so not like she was over-tasked).

The main reason I rated this visit as POOR is due to the price. The total came to nearly $37! Are you kidding me?! And please know, I have NO problem spending money on food when it's done well and with great care. But this certainly was not the case. After tip we were out the door for $43! Ouch. Again, I don't mind paying when I walk out thinking "wow, that was awesome....".

According the prices on their website:
Huevos Rancheros: $9.99
Cali Omelete: $9.99
Kids Pancake/Bacon: $6.99

Drinks (I'm guessing because the website doesn't state the price and I can't remember)
2 Coffees: 2@ $2.50
1 childs OJ: $2.50

$34.47
Tax: $2.15

TOTAL: $36.62

Again, the bottom line, I don't mind paying, but I want the meal to fit the bill!

Nicole D, Owner at Carmen's Cafe Nicole, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

We appreciate your feed back, and please know we always strive for customer satisfaction. Did you mention to the waitress you were displeased with the meal, because we would have gladly taken it off or made you a perfect one like you are use too. I apologize for the disappointment but if you let us ,we would have made things right. I hope you come back and find (Carmens is still here ) Thanks

Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

My husband chose this spot. It is right across from the harbor, so the view is great! I ordered the kick starter wrap and it was healthy, good tasting, and filling. It came with delicious fruit too! My husband got something like a breakfast burrito. He liked it. The coffee was good and the mugs were cute. The service was friendly and the vibe was comfy. We would probably return here again for lunch or dinner.