“Winter getaway with grandchildren”

Pilgrim Sands on Long Beach
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Plymouth
Westwood, Massachusetts
“Winter getaway with grandchildren”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

I surprised my 2 granddaughters, ages 6 and 12, with a mini get away at the Pilgrim Sands which was a repeat visit for us. We had a first floor, ocean facing room, so I could see them from the pool area if they needed to go to the room. The 6 year old said it was like being on a boat (we had cruised Alaska's Inside Passage last August so she knows what she is talking about) and that seeing the clusters of houses (to the south and north) was like cruising past villages. The "living room" with chairs, sofas, books, games, and fireplace is the reason we like the hotel so much, It is a great place to spend time out of the room. The indoor pool is perfect for all and there is a hot tub. The continental breakfast is a basic one. Rooms are clean and the staff is great!!!! The girls said they wanted to return next summer but I said we would not return then. How about this spring I asked. There was a resounding yes to that. Also, the girls live about 15 minutes away so it is a very easy get away.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
  • Polish first
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2014

Hubby and I checked in for a spur of the moment mini-vacation on a Monday afternoon and checked out Thursday morning in early November 2014. View from our room was awesome. However I was dissappointed that I couldn't see the entire vista when lying in either queen size bed because of the wooden lattice screwed into and covering the bottom half of the screen door. That meant we could only see the gorgeous water view if we stood up or sat in a chair right next to the sliding glass doors but not when lying in bed which was the whole purpose of our vacation - to laze in bed and look at the ocean. (I can't stand or walk well because of spinal issues so I wanted to be able to stare at the ocean day and night while lying down.) On the first night I spent most of my time on a cot placed along the sliding doors so my face was practically touching the glass so I could enjoy the water and splashing waves while laying down. The cot was provided free of charge and fairly comfortable once I figured out which end of the cot was the top and bottom - it made a difference - but I was perfectly content on the cot. The regular beds are very comfortable but firm and I sometimes need a softer surface to sleep on so I played musical beds during my entire stay (but I have to do that at home too because of chronic pain). The first night the waves were wild and loud and splashed right up to our patio deck all night long. It was awesome!!! I spent a lot of the night on the bench outside on our deck wrapped up in a comforter and was quite warm and cozy although it was 27 degrees outside that night. The housekeeping staff WAS AWESOME and asked us the following morning how we were enjoying our stay and the ocean view. Their faces were beaming with big smiles and it was quite evident that they LOVE working at Pilgrim Sands. The room was immaculate and the bathrooms so clean you could eat off the floor if you had a mind to. The shower curtain, towels and bed linens were new and clean. Kudos to the housekeeping staff. We left them a very large tip as they made our stay quite pleasant and they were helpful, friendly, happy and quite a joy to interact with. Can't say enough positive things about them. They were Great!! I am forever grateful to them for I assume going to management while we where downstairs enjoying our free continental breakfast and mentioning to them that we had commented to them in the hallway on the way down to breakfast that although hubby and I had checked in to stay for 3 nights and 2 1/2 days that we were considering checking out that first morning because we couldn't see the ocean view from the beds that we were so looking forward to and was the reason for choosing Pilgrim Sands for our vacation in the first place. We commented that we might as well go home and not see an ocean view for free at home rather then spend a few hundred dollars at the motel and not be able to enjoy the view. When we returned to our room after breakfast our telephone rang and the desk downstairs told us the maintenance man was on his way up to remove the screen that was obstructing our view from the doors. YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Five minutes later we were very happy campers with a brighter room and GORGEOUS full view of the ocean from every where in the room including the beds. Our review rating went from 1 star (only because of the dark wooden lattice screwed in to protect the screens from damage but nontheless obstructing the ocean view) to 5 stars because the lattice was gone and we could see the water - the very reason we were vacationing at that motel in the first place. The rest of our stay was wonderful. There were very few other guests on the second floor in the north wing (one night a group of couples/friends checked in late at night and checked out at 7 in the morning) so we pretty much had the entire floor to ourselves while we were there. So peaceful!!!!!! As we never really left our room much we didn't use any of the other amenities available (pool/jacuzzi/fireplace in living room/food at night in the dining room/24/7 available vending machines and coffee, etc) but it was nice to know they were there if we wanted to use them and the entire place is very clean and everyone is very friendly and accomodating. The refrigerator in the room was a good size and we brought fruit, crackers and cheese, and bread and sandwich making items and milk, water and fruit juices and ate in our room. We had planned to go out to restaurants or downstairs in the lounge for dinners during our stay but we didn't want to be away from the ocean view for very long so we ate the food we brought and stayed in our room and relaxed. We did get takeout one night and brought it back to the room - fish and onion rings from the restaurant (can't think of the name of it right now) near Capt John's Boats in Plymouth Harbor. Delicious!! We brought our own linens and towels because you never know what you are going to get in hotels but we never used them and the next time we go we won't bother to pack them. What is provided at Pilgrim Sands is immaculately clean and soft and comfortable. We have already saved up for another stay at Pilgrim Sands in the very near future and bought ourselves matching suitcases on wheels for Christmas and gave as Christmas gifts this year to our adult family members and their 3 households enough money for them to all spend a week at Pilgrim Sands on dates of their own choosing. Pilgrm Sands provides cots free of charge, allows 5 people in a room and charges only $6 - $8 per the extra 3rd, 4th and 5th person so we included the extra cash per person in the Christmas money gifts. Money well spent and the recipients were delighted to have a paid for vacation. FIVE STARS!! TEN STARS!! Can't wait to go again in a few weeks. The tide goes way out at low tide and at high tide it comes in only feet from the building. The north building (where we were on the second floor) is closer to the water but the entire place is smack on the ocean. Heaven on earth!! I have recommended Pilgrim Sands to several co-workers and many of them have checked out the website and are planning on making reservations for their families. I believe one family is planning on going next week during public school vacation and I only told the mom about it yesterday!! I don't know where else in southeastern Massachusetts or Cape Cod you will find closer ocean view rooms and beach for the reasonable room rates that Pilgrim Sands offers. Thanks Pilgrim Sands for a relaxing and enjoyable stay. We'll be back very soon and frequently after that.
Bob and Laurel Jones

Room Tip: Rooms in the north building on ocean side are closest to the water. Second floor rooms have private...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Worcester, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

The Pilgrim Sands does not disappoint in any season. It is the only hotel in Plymouth right on the ocean and the views are spectacular. The hotel is bright, airy, clean and comfortable. The owner and staff are extremely friendly and welcoming. In the quieter winter months the rooms are an exceptional value and the amenities (indoor pool and hot tub, wood burning fireplace) provide a relaxing diversion on a cold winter weekend.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank ElizaJaneMartin
Worcester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

Have stayed here multiple times spanning 30 yrs. (initially with our children, now as grandparents!) & it just gets better. Visit their website & know that everything is as wonderful as presented. Family owned & operated, with great care & attention to detail. Fabulous retreat during any season, for family, friends or couples. Weekend live entertainment (off- season in a lovely ocean view room with fireplace/ in- season on the patio) is a unique bonus. Location, rates & range of included amenities are exceptional. Enjoy!

Room Tip: For fitness, enjoy walking miles of beach &/or a scenic access road on Long Beach, swim in the o...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dave N
Prague, Czech Republic
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014

I haves stayed here a few times while working in the area, each time I have stayed has been for over a month. They are located right on the water, the rooms facing the water are the best , there is a large deck area for relaxing and offers some great sunsets. The owners and staff are super nice and will do anything for you. They have a nice in door pool and also outdoor pool during the summer time. Also there is a fun little bar and restaurant which offers live music and special events, trivia night etc.. The rooms are fine and little out dated but that is what gives this place their charm. I would recommend this place when visiting the area..

Room Tip: Try and reserve an ocean front room, it's well worth it..
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Cranbury,NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

We stayed here in August on our way home from canada.
We had a room on the second floor only 2 floors so it was ok
we had our kids bring up the luggage !!
The rooms are large and a little outdated but that's OK, They
are very CLEAN ! the cont breakfast was good, fresh fruit would
really be great but, hey at least we got something.
The beach was great at low tide plenty of sand. The water was clean
and clear. right next door is a beach it cost $$ but you can walk along
the beach at low tide and go over to the resturant it was really good.
The food at the Hotel was good to. Indoor pool was open even in
the summer that was cool I thought.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the first floor if you are a senior.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank NJ-sunshine3
United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

The best part about this hotel is the location, directly on the beach (that mostly disappears at high tide) and adjacent to the nice town beach. The overall facilities are much more than you'd normally expect to see at a value hotel; indoor and outdoor pools, a decent restaurant to grab a quick meal, live music on the weekends. The room was on the older side and very basic, but sufficient for our weekend stay during which we were at the beach 90% of the time. I'ts a 5-10 minute drive from downtown Plymouth, which has plenty of restaurants and shops. This is not a new or luxury facility, but this is a good spot for a basic beach vacation - and it's a huge plus that there is an indoor pool and lounge area in case you don't get perfect weather.

Room Tip: The music can get loud on the weekends, so if you have young kids or go to bed early I recommend ask...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family