“Average on the hotel side, poor on the Spa side.”

John Carver Inn & Spa
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Plymouth
GreenLeadersSilver level
East Greenbush, New York, United States
“Average on the hotel side, poor on the Spa side.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

We stayed here very spur of the moment on a Groupon discount (one night stay) and in part on our own for the next night.
The staff of the hotel were very nice and professional, almost personable with us, unlike the towns people who the majority were unfriendly and gave us funny looks.
The pool was great, and the life guards were very attentive to the kids running around or playing too rough.
The room(s)..though you can hear your neighbors talking (if louder than the typical indoor voice) were quaint.. The beds--oh the beds were wonderful to our comfort zone.
The restaurant at the Inn was okay, if you want to get your breakfast/brunch meal, go to Persy's Place right hand side of the shopping section of the town.
NOW for Beach Plum Spa;..when we had scheduled the appointment, my husband wanted a deep tissue massage, while I had made clear I just wanted a light massage. The manager at the desk said she will notify the staff and we'll be all set.
When we got in the waiting room was "Zen" comfortable, with Himalayan rock salt candles, they supplied trail mix of sorts, tea, lemon infused water, and coffee (decaf and caffeinated by Keurig cups). The robes they had you wait in was very comfortable as well and warm.

The actual massages..well we're new to the whole spa experience, as in this is our second time w/this, (side note--the 1st time the masseuse at a different spa, were very friendly with us and talked with us, & made sure we were both comfortable thru the whole entire experience)..the ladies we had were FAR from friendly. To even break some of the ice, I joked around that "if I start to drool, I apologize"..to which the response "Just don't get any on my shoes". I didn't realize I was an alien with acid spit. From there, the lady I had, her massage got harder and rougher. I wanted to say something, but the whole awkwardness of both them NOT even wanting to talk with us, I felt really uncomfortable (more ways than one) to even speak up.
Once we paid and I even tipped them $25 a piece--I almost didn't want to tip them but my husband thoroughly enjoyed his massage, while I--day later I had bruising on my legs and back, my veins were popping out of my legs. It is NOW Monday, and we got the massage on Saturday, my legs are still sore and swollen. My husband urged me to go back and say something to them Sunday, but I still felt uncomfortable and genuinely unwelcomed there, I decided to count my loses, take a couple Ibuprofen, and go home.

Overall experience we probably would NOT have stayed here if it wasn't for the Groupon, and the reviews on here. Though The Beach Plum Spa is conveniently located on the second floor of the Inn-- Buyer Beware and proceed with caution!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AlRia12

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Newark, Delaware
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

We stayed for 2 days, when it was fully booked. Overall, it wasn't bad, but it just kinda looked like it needs a refresh.

Many of the accessories (pool, Internet access, parking) were below expectation:
- insufficient parking when the hotel is full
- Internet is badly overloaded, and unusable when hotel is full
- pool was nice, but lifeguards kept opening the outer doors, letting 45 degree outside air in. huh ? why ?
- hotel shut down many room keys at 10 am on checkout day, even though checkout time was 11 am. what the heck ?

Overall, I felt they didn't really appreciate the guests, saw us as an inconvenience, which is odd, as we are their reason for existence.

If I return to Plymouth, I won't stay here, I'm sure there are hotels who appreciate paying guests,

The maids were probably the most friendly employees we encountered.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Delaware_Yankee
Joseph A, General Manager at John Carver Inn & Spa, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Dear Delaware_Yankee, Thank you for your review. First let me assure you that we do not see our guest as an inconvenience as you are the reason for us being here and I am sorry if any of my staff may have come across this way. I am going to make sure all of my Staff sees your review and we will be focusing on the items you have listed. I hope that if you find yourself in Plymouth again that you will consider giving us another try. Thank you - Joe
Rushden, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights as part of a tour of New England. The hotel looks grand from the outside but is a bit dated inside and needs modernizing decoratively.
Meals and menu selection was good and we ate in every night. Mostly the staff were very pleasant and helpful.
The hotel does not have a lounge to sit and chat in and the bar is not very large but gets very crowded and is very noisy.
Ideally placed for walking around Plymouth.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Robert W
Joisy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

Nice room, Comfy bed, really comfy pillows, I was left w/o a car while my bf went to work during the day but it was in walking distance to town, Dunkin Donuts, restaurants, shops, the water, plymouth rock, trails along the water. It was really very convenient, Hotel has a spa and even though I called as soon as they opened, they didn't have even a pedicure til late in the day.. The pool looked nice, the gym was sparse No bike, a couple treadmills & elip, weights and a tv. I'd definately stay there again. I got a really nice pedicure in town. Shop owners were so nice, the food in the hotel restaurant was great, they had lots of healthy choices.

Green Features: Very environmentally friendly in my opinion. I noticed they used organic sugar and options for breakfast were a wonderful surprise.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank June R
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

We stayed in a fireplace suite which was described as most recently renovated of the rooms. The 2 rooms of the suite as well the bathroom were very small and in need of an overhaul. There were visible marks in ceiling from water damage and ,aside from the bed which was very comfortable, the room was run down. We could also hear guests in the next room .

Considering the price of the suite I expected a room in better condition. The entire hotel including the lobby needs an overhaul.

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank Willouie
Exmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

We stayed here as part of a tour of New England.
We occupied room 225, and although it was a little dark as it was at the back of the hotel, and had a bit of a musty smell (after a spray of perfume we didnt notice it any more !) and found it very clean and comfortable.
We went to the pool a few times and really enjoyed it,it must be lovely to go there in the summer.
We found the hotel to be very convienient to the centre of the town, within easy walking distance of the seafront, shops and plenty of places to eat if you dont want to eat at the hotel.
We had several nice evening meals here, and enjoyed cocktails in the bar ! The included breakfast was also very nice, Linda was often our waitress and was very nice and friendly

Room Tip: A room at the front is probably lighter, but maybe a room at the back is quieter.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank addicted2h01ls
Waltham, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

I would like to say that the call center that handles the reservtions for this hotel is not well edcated or informed about things happening at this property. I was transfered when they didnt have the correct answers to my questions. The woman who answered the phone at The John Carver Inn was very well educated and understanding. She explained everything and made me feel special. I booked the room on the spot with her. Her name is Colleen. When I entered the hotel on the day of check in, she knew exactly who i was. She extended herself and said please don'r hesitate to call upon me for anything. She just made the whole experience much nicer. My kids and I had a great time at this hotel. I have been a realtor for 17 years in the metrowest area and pride myself on customer service to my clients. Colleen is on the same level of customer service as me.. I would definitely ask for her and she will make your stay extremely enjoyable.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Plymouth
Hilton Garden Inn Plymouth
Hotel 1620 Plymouth Harbor
Mirbeau Inn & Spa at The Pinehills
Hampton Inn & Suites Plymouth
Comfort Inn Plymouth
Comfort Inn Plymouth
#8 of 9 in Plymouth
Baymont Inn & Suites Kingston Plymouth Bay

Been to John Carver Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!