John Carver Inn & Spa
Hampton Inn & Suites Plymouth(Plymouth)(Great Value!)
US$155
Hilton Garden Inn Plymouth(Plymouth)(Great Value!)
US$144
Best Western Plus Cold Spring(Plymouth)(Great Value!)
US$123
BestWestern.com
Pilgrim Sands on Long Beach(Plymouth)(Great Value!)
US$155
Comfort Inn Plymouth(Plymouth)(Great Value!)
US$122
ComfortInn
Hotel 1620 Plymouth Harbor(Plymouth)(Great Value!)
US$140
Blue Spruce Motel(Plymouth)(Great Value!)
US$88
US$303
US$279
US$116
Atlantic Motel(East Wareham)
US$111
US$105
  • Pool
All reviewshearth and kettlekettle restaurantplymouth rockwater slidesfun poolthemed poolfireplace suitelife guardshot tubwithin walking distancepool areakids loved the poolhotel restaurantgrist millan older hotelnew englandmayflower ii
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights over a weekend in April;

Pros; Location, location, location. This hotel has a great location within walking distance to the waterfront with dining, & shopping options, and Plymouth Rock, and the Mayflower ship reproduction. Also, about a 10 minute drive to Plymouth Plantation. The bathrooms seemed to have been recently updated, and were overall clean. The beds & pillows were comfortable, although soft.

OK; The pool is great for the kids. The area for parents & others to sit is quite limited, and it's like a sauna, so it's quite stuffy & hot in there. We observed 3 lifeguards at the pool during our time, and one of whom seemed as if he was fighting to stay awake, including putting his head in his hand several times, taking his eyes off the water. Another time we were there, that seemed to be a peak time as the pool was full there was only one lifeguard on duty, and there was no way she has one could keep her eye on everything, particularly with the huge rock in the middle of the poo. The parking is limited, and there were a couple times we were unable to find hotel parking, presumably due to functions, or others going there for the restaurant, or pool. The staff I found to be both extremes... super friendly, and others who couldn't give you the time of day. Housekeeping we encountered were all very friendly. At check-in none of the 4 people behind the counter acknowledged we were there, and there was only one family ahead of us. Once they were done, I still was not spoken to, and finally gave the woman behind the counter my name.

CONS; Never in my life have I complained about a room at a hotel, this trip I did it twice. The first night I was awakened several times by the sound of the live band directly below my room in the bar (not sure if they only have live music on the weekends). I can't believe no one else staying in that room hasn't complained about this. I called down to the front desk, and said I'd want a new room in the morning for our 2nd night. The next morning they called my room, and said they were moving me (this part was actually a pro b/c I appreciated they were proactive in handling it & I didn't actually have to request it again in the morning). The next room they moved us to had a horrible cigarette smell (despite being a non-smoking room). So I had to call down again for a new room, and initially they offered to run an air purifier, but I requested a new room. They did offer me another new room, and we switched again... so 3 rooms for a 2 night stay.

Food; If you can I would explore some of the local options before dining in the restaurant. The staff in Hearth N'Kettle were super friendly, but the food was not good, and overpriced.

Should a stay in Plymouth come up again in the future I will look elsewhere first.

Room Tip: Avoid a room in the 220's to avoid the band playing in the bar.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank BostonMama33
Reviewed 31 March 2014

The hotel is a bit old fashioned but reasonably clean. The room was large and ok for a short stay, but we didn't find the staff very friendly-no-one looked up from the front desk or spoke when we were coming or going, and the bar staff were uncommunicative. The staff in the hearth and kettle restaurant were friendlier but the food was awful, I was unable to eat the "turkey dinner" I was served and sent it back-but they still charged me for it. It was a congealed grey pile, and my husbands fish and chips weren't much better. There are some nice restaurants in the area, we would recommend the East Bay Grille in Plymouth, and Aroma Tavern and Grill in Manomet.
The hotel pool was lovely, but usually full of excited/noisy children-so not very couple friendly.

Review collected in partnership with Virgin Holidays
Joseph A, General Manager at John Carver Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2014

Dear 866traveller, I am sorry that your experience with us was not what you had hoped for. My staff and I always strive to give our guest the best possible experience. I would like to speak to you about this and hopefully assure you that this is not the way that our Hotel operates. Feel free to contact me at the Inn at your convenience. Thank you for your review. - Joe

Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed here and it was a great stay. The pool is awesome! Some cool places to check out. Bit of a drive to Boston and salem but worth the drive. Not real pricey great package deals! Look forward to staying again

Carrie

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Friendly and welcoming staff - thanks to Karen and Angela! Rooms were comfortable and clean, loved the bed and pillows. Next time, we have to try out the pool! Literally my only critique is for the trash cans to be a bit bigger - my boyfriend and I felt awful leaving trash next to it when we left!

Room Tip: We have only stayed once and were happy with the room. It was comfortable, clean, quiet and private.
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We had a last minute stay at the John Carver Inn a few nights ago. My husband and I were celebrating our anniversary when we decided against our original plans.

We booked a suite at the Inn and were thrilled we changed our plans. The staff at the front desk were warm and accomodating. Both Karen and Angela went out of their way to ensure we were comfortable and happy with our visit.

I had the need to call down to the lobby at one point and was never treated as though I was imposing, they were pleasant and receptive to our inquiries.

We went to the tavern for drinks and were lucky enough to have Kim and Ann assist us through the night. The two of them were delightful to deal with. Both of them offering suggestions on where to go in town and what to do aside from the obvious tourist locations.

Kim gave us great menu selections from the taverns tapas, the food was great, not the typical "hotel restaurant" style. I would go back just to have a meal.

The inn and our room were spotless. The beds were comfortable and the choice of pillows were a welcome treat!

Every detail was thought of, down to the keurig for our morning coffee. There was a selection of coffee and tea for us which is a big plus over the old 2 cup coffee pots many hotels use.

We woke in the morning refreshed and completely happy with our choice for our night away.

We have already started to look at future dates in May so we can stay a few days and catch a whale watch.....if this winter ever ends!!

Thank you for a memorable evening and a truly wonderful staff. I have already let our friends and family know how wonderfully we were treated and expect a few of them to come along on one of our future stays.

Thank you again.

Room Tip: We stayed in a fireplace suite that over-looked the pool. Loved it!