“GREAT front desk staff - Other staff: less than great”

Comfort Inn Plymouth
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Plymouth
Redford, MI
“GREAT front desk staff - Other staff: less than great”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

My husband and I arrived late at night. We were greeted by a very nice lady at the front desk. She was very courteous and we felt very positive about our stay here. We pretty much went right to bed. We woke up in the morning and went down for breakfast. The breakfast area was nice, but the woman working the breakfast area was about the rudest person I've ever met in my life. Her name was Danielle and when I let her know that the waffle batter was out, she rolled her eyes, went back to get more. When she returned, with a very nasty look on her face, she slammed the batter into the dispenser. I said thank you (though I shouldn't have with the attitude she gave us), and got no response as she stormed away. You'd think we arrived at the end of breakfast! We were there right in the middle of breakfast hours. Very very rude.

We took our breakfast back to our room and were eating and we kept hearing doors slam. I thought it was awfully rude of guests to be slamming their doors. At one point, my husband went to see if we could find out which room was slamming their door so we could ask them to keep it down, or contact the front desk. When he went out, he discovered that the room directly next to our room was a maintenance room, where the housekeeping staff keeps their things, and THEY were the ones slamming the door.

My advice: If you're going to continue to charge the rate you charge, have the front desk staff train the rest of the staff in customer service. The hotel was nice enough, but after being treated so rudely by Danielle in the morning, and the continuous slamming of the doors by hotel staff, we won't be returning. It was not worth the price that we paid.

Room Tip: Request a room that is NOT near the housekeeping closet, as apparently they do not know how to NOT s...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Leetlestar
Charles59s, Manager at Comfort Inn Plymouth, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
I apologize for the dissatisfaction you encountered during your stay at the hotel recently. I have shared your comments with all of my staff. We take pride in treating our guests with respect at all times. As a manager I am always available to assist the guests with any issues that arise and to correct them immediately. I hope that you will consider staying with us in the future and give us the opportunity to make your stay a pleasant experience.

Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Henrietta, New York
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We spent two days in Plymouth, and decided to stay a few miles away from the waterfront at The Comfort Inn. Rates were reasonable and the hotel was clean. The decor was a bit outdated (with the exception of the bed duvets). The pool was tiny and a little cloudy, but the kids enjoyed it. The free breakfast was basic. Staff was present, but not overly friendly.

It was what I expected from a Comfort Inn for the price. But then we stayed in the Comfort Inn in Sturbridge for the second part of out trip. THAT Comfort Inn was just so outstanding that I became a little disappointed in the one in Plymouth.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for staying with us. We look forward to seeing you during your future travels.

Springfield, Vermont
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Arrived late after a very long day and at check-in I learned we were to be in a smoking room which is totally unacceptable as I had my elderly mother who is asthmatic. The desk clerk remained polite and helpful in spite of my displeasure and attempts to be moved to a non smoking room which was not possible because the hotel was full with two weddings and a 50th anniversary celebration. I had to accept the room that was available and the clerk graciously went to the room to spray air freshener, open the windows and turn on the A/C to try to improve the air while we unloaded the car. The beds were comfy, sheets and pillows were very nice but the room was not as clean as it should have been (a tag from new clothing was on the floor). The floor was very squeaky in places and there were MANY burn marks on the carpet and the lingering smoke smell could not be hidden by air neutralizer....scary to think what could have happened when those burns were made! Breakfast had very good choices, from fruit to waffles, eggs, bagels, cereal, yogurt, etc. I appreciate the care and attention given us upon check in even though I was not very pleasant. I would most definitely stay here again knowing the staff will do everything they can to make your stay as comfortable as possible.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Charles59s, Manager at Comfort Inn Plymouth, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Thank you for staying with us. I apologize that you ended up in a smoking room which was the last available room when you made the initial reservation. Being sold out and not having any rooms available, made it difficult to move you to a non-smoking room. We look forward to seeing you in your future travels and will make sure that you have a non-smoking room. Have a wonderful day.

Fowler, MI
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Stayed here prior to going on a whale watching tour. Check in was a breeze, staff was very helpful and accommodating. Beds were super comfy and I love the soft/firm pillows! Bathroom was clean as was our room. Pool area was smallish, but served its purpose and once again was kept clean. Breakfast in the morning was more than I had expected with waffles eggs and sausage.

1 Thank debsnyder32
Charles59s, Manager at Comfort Inn Plymouth, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Thank you for staying us. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your staff and we look forward to seeing in the near future. Have a wonderful day.

Lexington
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Checked in here late at night on our way to the Cape. The room was comfortable, the staff was very friendly, the beds were quite comfy with nice sheets and cover. Very clean. The only negative of our stay was the carpet in our room. It had huge stains which were pretty off putting. Had it not been so late I think I would have asked for another room. Bfast was very average, scrambled eggs, toast, waffle machine. Coffee was good.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Jenny M
Thank you for staying with us. I am sorry to hear that you did not find your room to satisfactory due to the stains on the carpet. Please note that we are in the process of replacing all of these carpets, it's unfortunate that this was not the case during your stay. I hope to see you in your future travels. Have a wonderful day.

Shutesbury, Massachusetts
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I stayed here Friday-Sunday on a weekend when the place was sold out. I had put a "nice view appreciated" note in my reservation but it was not given to me. When we checked in and I was told I would be on the road side I politely told that it wasn't possible. They were sold out. We were on the 2nd floor facing the busy street.

I did not sleep well at all with the traffic and sirens going by all night. Also could hear the people on the 3rd floor walking around, and could hear water running in other rooms when I was in the bathroom, and people talking in the hallway.

The room itself was clean, and the housekeeping staff was nice. However there were 2 of us in the room and they gave us just 2 towels which meant I couldn't shower after a swim in the pool if I wanted to have a clean, dry towel after a shower in the morning. I did ask for extra coffee when I saw the staff in the hallway and they gave it to me.

The breakfast I guess was average. There was a long slow line for the waffles on Saturday morning. On Sunday we came down later and the line was gone, but so was most of the syrup. The staff was trying very hard to not waste anything as it got closer to 10am.

The pool area was perfect temperature. It wasn't too hot in the room and the water temperature was just right. There was no poolside shower though, which surprised me. The room that I thought would be a shower was locked. My 8 year old daughter really enjoyed the pool. It is only 4 feet deep at the deepest though so it may not be for everyone.

Parking in the front of the building is limited, and after lucking out with a front spot on Friday afternoon I was forced to park in the back for the remainder of our stay.

Location is convenient to Walgreens, McDs, Cumbies, grocery stores, a pizza place across the street will deliver. So that's all good.

Internet was a little slow. I was very pleased with the number of tv stations though. I cannot remember having a hotel with PBS Sprout (a kids station) before. It is something we used to watch when my daughter was younger and at bedtime we snuggled up to watch a bedtime show before reading a story together.

The furniture in the room needs improvement and the electrical needs an upgrade too. I had to unplug lamps to make room for charging my laptop and my cell phone. The coffee table felt like the legs were going to fall off any minute. Indeed I could tell that the housekeepers don't move it when they vacuum. The mini-fridge was off when we arrived but I turned it on. The microwave was clean but I didn't end up using it.

I have a photo of the chair in the room to illustrate how it needs improved.

I am a Choice member, and often stay in Comfort Suites. I realize this is not the Suites so I should lower my standards a little I guess.

I may or may not go back again. I think I've earned enough points for a free night somewhere and I haven't decided where I will go yet. This place may be in the running as my daughter liked the pool. Not sure yet though.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the highway, maybe even numbered rooms. 3rd floor is probably best so no on...
1 Thank RebeccaMA
I am sorry to hear that your stay was not satisfactory. We try to accommodate each of our guests with special requests, unfortunately, during the busy season and large groups, this can be challenging and I apologize for that.

WA
Reviewed 3 August 2014

This was the 7th night of a 9 day road trip so I think it was about the 5th hotel we had stayed in. The most important thing to me in picking a hotel is that it is CLEAN... and after staying in an extremely sketchy one in Cape Cod I asked to see the room before I paid. I will also add I'm not a complete hotel snob but Comfort Inns can sometimes be iffy. This was not the case with this hotel! It was VERY clean, large rooms, very helpful gal at the front desk. I was a bit worried as there was a young dance team staying at the hotel, hanging out in the hallways but if they were running up & down the hallways, we couldn't hear them. I think we were on the 3rd floor and we never had to wait a long time for the elevator! Continental breakfast was your "average" breakfast but I don't expect much from a hotel continental breakfast. I would stay here again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank NorthDakotaBound
Thank you for staying with us. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and I have shared your kind words with my staff. We hope to see you in the near future. Have a wonderful day.

Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Plymouth
Hotel 1620 Plymouth Harbor
Hilton Garden Inn Plymouth
John Carver Inn & Spa
John Carver Inn & Spa
#5 of 9 in Plymouth
Hampton Inn & Suites Plymouth
Baymont Inn & Suites Kingston Plymouth Bay
Mirbeau Inn & Spa at The Pinehills

Been to Comfort Inn Plymouth? Share your experiences!